New Haven Saturn regulator

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by Melvin Chase, Sep 12, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Melvin Chase

Melvin Chase Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 26, 2014
    Does anyone know if someone has produced cases or movements for the "Saturn" regulators produced by New Haven Co. ?
    Helping a friend with an old clock. It has a very clean movement that looks too new to be an original. The case is also very clean and appears to be new, yet has a pendulum and label which appear to be original. This is a spring-powered version, not weight driven.

(Pictures are not immediately available)

ANY HELP IS APPRECIATED.

2. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Country Flag:
    Pictures would surely help. I am personally unaware of anyone who manufactured "repro" cases of the Saturn (that's what I think you mean -- correct me if wrong). A movement can be cleaned to look brand new. Is it a New Haven movement? Cases can be refinished to restore a like-new look. If the label looks original, that goes a long way toward suspecting the whole clock could be original (save for any refinishing). As I said, pictures will help, both of the case, the label, and the movement.

3. Melvin Chase

Melvin Chase Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 26, 2014
    Here are some photos of the Saturn - I learned that this clock had been stored for many years and probably rarely used until re-conditioned sometime during the 1970's. The clock case is probably original, however, I'd like to confirm that the movement is correct. Is the plate at the inside of the case typical of this model? The dial is rough and does not show the "star" logo [Yes - I know that base of the case is not visible - it is being re-glued]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Any help is appreciated.

4. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Country Flag:
    Your clock is unusual in having an eight-day time-only movement. A thirty-day time-only or an eight-day weight time-only movement are more common. I would not be surprised that the wooden dial mount inside the case was necessary to place the movement closer to the dial. If there are no obvious signs that the movement is not original to the case or that the mounting board was added post-production, I would accept the clock as original.