New Haven restoration-Count wheel/count lever

Discussion in 'Clock Repair' started by clc, Aug 30, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. clc

clc Registered User

May 30, 2017
    Country Flag:
    Hi all.
    I finally put together my first movement! After cleaning all the wheels plates, mainsprings, etc. I put it together.
    The photo here shows how the count lever is slightly bent/warped and the way it fits into the count wheel.
    Because of its shape it rubs the top-back side of the teeth as the wheel turns and won't go down all the way therefore it continues striking until manually the count lever is guided into stop.
    What do you suggest could be done?
    Thanks,

Carlos 314813.jpg

2. Willie X

Willie X Registered User

Feb 9, 2008
    Bend the rod part at the top, where it makes the right angle downward bend, ever so slightly away from the movement. Then straighten the thin blade part so you will have a clean drop in the deep slots.
    Willie X

3. clc

clc Registered User

May 30, 2017
    Country Flag:
    Thanks, Willie X.
    I first thought of adjusting the blade. I'm glad I did what you suggested. Now I have "a clean drop in the deep slots".
    Thanks,

Carlos

4. clc

clc Registered User

May 30, 2017
    Country Flag:
    Thanks for your help Willie X.
    I lubricated all the pivots, removed the retaining rings from the mainspring and the clock has been running now for about 5 hours now.

Carlos

5. clc

clc Registered User

May 30, 2017
    Country Flag:
    Happy inform that 5 days later the clock still running.
    Thanks,

Carlos