New Haven Pedometer HOW DOES IT WORK?

Discussion in 'Horological Misc' started by allantime, Mar 10, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. NAWCC Login Function is Not Working. If you know your username and password for the Message Board, you can log in using the small login link at the upper right.
  1. allantime

allantime Registered User

Mar 10, 2017
    I know it's not a clock. I received a New Haven vintage pedometer. It has what appears to be a screw in back and that's it. The screw moves the main dial to zero. Is that all I have to do to re-set the pedometer? It's got a hundred mile inner dial which doesn't seem to re-set. The main knob at top (which looks like a watch dial, doesn't seem to do anything by hold the clasp.

Anyone ever see one of these or know how they work?

2. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    Welcome to the board.

Although I have never seen your particular pedometer (New Haven) and a photo would help tremendously, the ones I have seen are just re-set to zero and then they're good to go.

Pedometers (usually) work by your walking movement causing a weight to swing and this will move the pointer. But as I say, I have not seen a New Haven one and so I may be wrong.

Please post a photo or two and I am sure you will get some more advice.

JTD

3. novicetimekeeper

novicetimekeeper Registered User

Jul 26, 2015
    I have a 19th century pedometer, it doesn't reset. You simply use the current reading as an offset. It looks just like a pocket watch, has a system like an automatic watch with an offset weight that swings side to side and clicks the movement on.

4. Dave Coatsworth

Dave Coatsworth Super Moderator

Feb 11, 2005
    These New Haven pedometers are pretty simple devices and you have correctly described how they work. Some other brands made about the same time do have reset buttons.

JTD is correct in that inside you will just find a swinging crescent shaped weight. Each swing of the weight records a step. There is also an adjustment feature inside that will allow you to adjust the pedometer to the length of your stride.

5. allantime

Mar 10, 2017
    Here are photos of front and back. By simply turning the screw in the back the hands can be re-set to top. Just want to make sure that's all it takes. Not sure. IMG_1430.jpg IMG_1429.jpg

6. Dave Coatsworth

Dave Coatsworth Super Moderator

Feb 11, 2005
    Yes, that's it. Just turn the screw on this model.

7. allantime

Mar 10, 2017