New Haven Pedometer HOW DOES IT WORK?

allantime

Mar 10, 2017
Country
I know it's not a clock. I received a New Haven vintage pedometer. It has what appears to be a screw in back and that's it. The screw moves the main dial to zero. Is that all I have to do to re-set the pedometer? It's got a hundred mile inner dial which doesn't seem to re-set. The main knob at top (which looks like a watch dial, doesn't seem to do anything by hold the clasp.

Anyone ever see one of these or know how they work?

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
Welcome to the board.

Although I have never seen your particular pedometer (New Haven) and a photo would help tremendously, the ones I have seen are just re-set to zero and then they're good to go.

Pedometers (usually) work by your walking movement causing a weight to swing and this will move the pointer. But as I say, I have not seen a New Haven one and so I may be wrong.

Please post a photo or two and I am sure you will get some more advice.

JTD

novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
Dorset
Country
Region
I have a 19th century pedometer, it doesn't reset. You simply use the current reading as an offset. It looks just like a pocket watch, has a system like an automatic watch with an offset weight that swings side to side and clicks the movement on.

Dave Coatsworth

Senior Administrator
Staff member
NAWCC Business
NAWCC Fellow
Sponsor
Feb 11, 2005
Camarillo, CA
www.daveswatchparts.com
Country
Region
These New Haven pedometers are pretty simple devices and you have correctly described how they work. Some other brands made about the same time do have reset buttons.

JTD is correct in that inside you will just find a swinging crescent shaped weight. Each swing of the weight records a step. There is also an adjustment feature inside that will allow you to adjust the pedometer to the length of your stride.

allantime

Mar 10, 2017
Country
Here are photos of front and back. By simply turning the screw in the back the hands can be re-set to top. Just want to make sure that's all it takes. Not sure. IMG_1430.jpg IMG_1429.jpg

hlsm

New User
Feb 13, 2020
Country
I too have inherited a New Haven pedometer. It is missing the screw in back but I can turn the wheel and the hands move. Can anyone please tell me where zero is? At the top there is the number 10, then 1 thru 9. The smaller circle at the bottom has 100 at the top.. I do not see a zero!!!
Thank you.

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
I too have inherited a New Haven pedometer. It is missing the screw in back but I can turn the wheel and the hands move. Can anyone please tell me where zero is? At the top there is the number 10, then 1 thru 9. The smaller circle at the bottom has 100 at the top.. I do not see a zero!!!
Thank you.
Welcome to the board.

Look at post #5 - there is also no 0 marked but you can tell where it is, dead center between 9 and 1.

JTD

hlsm

New User
Feb 13, 2020
Country
Thank you for the welcome!
I must be missing something as there is a 10 between 9 and 1 - no zero except for in the 10!

Dave Coatsworth

Senior Administrator
Staff member
NAWCC Business
NAWCC Fellow
Sponsor
Feb 11, 2005
Camarillo, CA
www.daveswatchparts.com
Country
Region
When the large register makes one complete lap, it is 10 miles. So, 0 and 10 are really the same position. Same with the small register. The top can be looked at as either 0 or 100, depending on whether you are starting out or completing a 100 mile circuit.

PatH

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Dec 5, 2014
Texas
Country
Region
The first four pictures below are the pedometer with no numeral between 9 and 1 and the instructions that came in the box on how to set the pedometer to your step length. The last 2 pictures are a New Haven American model pedometer that has the 10, but no 5. Unfortunately, I don't have instructions for the second model. In addition to the different placement of the 100-mile dial, the two appear to have different springs.

DSC06488.JPG DSC06794.JPG DSC06795.JPG DSC06491.JPG DSC03719.JPG DSC03720.JPG

hlsm

New User
Feb 13, 2020
Country
Thank you for the pictures! Mine does not have the numeral five at the bottom. It is also missing the screw in back - are those possibly available?
Mine is on a long silver chain and not sure which family member it came from - or how old it is. Is there any way to tell?

PatH

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Dec 5, 2014
Texas
Country
Region
The second one doesn't have the screw on the back. It has a nickel finish back that snaps off to allow access to the movement for adjustments.

As for age, it is pictured in Tran Duy Ly's New Haven book as seen in a 1937 catalog, so I am guessing it could have been a few years either side of that. Maybe that will be helpful in determining at least the generation of your family to whom it belonged. Good luck in your search, and thanks for saving another little piece of your family's history.

The verbiage from the catalog is as follows.
100-MILE PEDOMETER
Nickel finish case. Hand may be set forward or backward, as desired, by removing back of case and turning hand set. Registers to 100 miles. May be hooked to belt or pocket. Adjustable to any length stride. Packed in lots of 48. Shipping weight: 7 1/2 lbs. Retail $2.50

Dave Coatsworth

Senior Administrator
Staff member
NAWCC Business
NAWCC Fellow
Sponsor
Feb 11, 2005
Camarillo, CA
www.daveswatchparts.com
Country
Region
I hadn't been following that thread closely and didn't realize you were including pedometers.

Here's an early American pedometer that does not fit in the 'dollar' category. The case is marked for Tiffany & Co. Also note that, unlike most, this one does start at '0'.

Pedometer1.jpg

Reactions: PatH

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicobirdie
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Watch Inspectors by Kent