American New Haven Occidental 8 Day Clock - What does this do?

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by Markrw58, Feb 9, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Markrw58

Markrw58 New Member

Feb 9, 2020
    Male
    Country Flag:
    I recently inherited my Grandmothers clock and while I have figured out what most things do does on the clock there is one thing I don’t know what it is for and I am hoping someone will be able to explain what this is for. Inside the clock on the lower left hand side is a small ringer and some gears that for the life of me I can’t figure out its purpose, any ideas would be appreciated.

Mark

4AC47EEA-5E3A-408B-91A0-0380BE16C34C.jpeg 87BAF737-078E-4557-9B71-9E4A52ACBF02.jpeg

2. owen.or

owen.or Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 26, 2000
    retired high school teacher
    Near Portland, Oregon
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Mark, Welcome to the message board. The little movement inside the case is an alarm mechanism. To use it you would first wind the spring for the alarm mechanism. Then you would set the alarm by rotating the brass plated ring in the center of the dial. The number resting behind the hour hand should be the number at which the alarm will sound. David, Owen.or

3. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    Welcome to the board.

David has explained to you how the alarm mechanism works - I would just add that once it starts ringing, you can't stop it, you have to wait for the spring to run down.

JTD

PatH likes this.
  4. Uhralt

Uhralt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    True. It will wake up the dead! Most people try the alarm function of the clock only once.

Uhralt

Arthur Cagle and PatH like this.
  5. Markrw58

Markrw58 New Member

Feb 9, 2020
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Thanks David for explaining its purpose I find it interesting that some of these clocks had alarms it is something I would not of expected.

Mark

6. claussclocks

claussclocks Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 14, 2013
    Male
    Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Unless you are me and go to another collector friends house and set about 4 or 5 at different hours to go off. Might have to say former friend after that. :p:p:p

By the way I love the Occidental design. I have one made by Gilbert. Seems every major maker made one