New Haven Novelty

Discussion in 'Clock Repair' started by wbranko, Apr 24, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. wbranko

wbranko Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 1, 2004
    Male
    Country Flag:
    I am working on a New Haven novelty clock with a fairly large movement. I have not seen a set up like this before. I got to the movement, and can not figure out how to remove the bezel and glass...is it press fit, screw fit:???:? Anyone who has worked on one of these before, please help me out. How do I get to the hands? 302934.jpg 302935.jpg 302936.jpg

Attached Files:

2. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Look for a thin wire around the circumference of the dial. It will have a small gap where you can insert a small screwdriver or something to remove it. It's spring loaded. There were several unique ways to hold things together. I doubt that it's press fit, although the glass might be. The bezel should come off some way. :)

3. wbranko

wbranko Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 1, 2004
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Shutterbug,

Thanks!! You sent me on the right track. I started REALLY looking at the gap. I could not see a spring or spot to insert a blade...so I used a razor blade to pry on the bezel. To my surprise, it gave a little. Working carefully around the bezel, it eventually popped off. So it was a press fit after all! Who knew:???:?

All's well that ends well. Now on to the cleaning!

4. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag: