New Haven movement ID

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by dhunter, Aug 30, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. dhunter

dhunter Registered User
    NAWCC Member

May 21, 2016
    Cornelius NC
    Country Flag:
    Steven Thornberry
    I recently read very old posts between you and Bain that talked of a certain movement in clock described as a new haven cabinet #10. I cannot find the post. There was picture of the movement.

l have a totally different clock with that movement, picture attached. I am trying to ID that movement. The clock is made by JG Low of Chelsea Mass I think circa 1890. They were a large maker of artistic tiles for decorative tiles for home use such as under fireplace mantels, stoves, bathrooms. Apparent they made a few clocks of tiles and brass. Searching non clock sites and found the exact clock in at least 2 New York museums. They are regarded more as art items than clocks. Clock and movement are unsigned except for a name on the inside of the clock on back of the side tiles

Long story short is I am trying to ID the movement.
    Can you assist?
    314810.jpg 314811.jpg 314812.jpg
    David Hunter

Attached Files:

2. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    Re: Hew haven movement I'd

This would be the thread you are referring to, I think, but I am not certain what you want to know. I have no ID for it, i.e., no movement number nor years of production, etc. I have not seen it very often, but it seems to be a precursor of similar round movements used by New Haven at a later date.

3. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    #3 Steven Thornberry, Aug 31, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2017
    Re: Hew haven movement ID

All right, just to add a bit now that I've had time to check my books, your clock appears to be the No. 1017, which is shown from the 1885 catalogue in Tran Duy Ly's book on New Haven clocks (arlingtonbooks.com). Tran also shows several photos of this model from his own collection. The pictures include one of an inscription inside the clock, reading thus:

J & J.G. Low
    Patent
    Art Tile Works
    Chelsea
    Mass., U.S.A.
    Copyright 1884
    by J.G. & J.E. Low​

I found this website having a bit of information on Low Art Tile Works. I was able to locate a few parents granted to Low, for example, this one on a tile making process, and this one by Arthur Osborne (assigned to Low) for a design for a tile or center piece.

Tran shows just a couple of these tile clocks by New Haven, yours and one called the Ilium, shown from the 1895 catalogue. Tran says they "are considered extremely rare." A great find.