New haven Harmonious model

clocksforfun52

Aug 25, 2013
Manchester, Tennessee
Country
Just bought a New Haven Tambour style clock at an antique store today and bought it for a good price. it is in very good condition and runs well. The tag on the bottom of the clock says harmonious which is the model. Does anyone know about this model and when they started making them and anything else about them? It is a very well made clock looks to be a more expensive model than some I have seen. Thanks, R.G. Davis

Steven Thornberry

User Administrator
Staff member
NAWCC Member
Jan 15, 2004
Here and there
Country
Tran Duy Ly's book on New Haven clocks does not show a tambour called Harmonious, but, of course, he did not capture all of them for one reason or another. Perhaps some pictures of the clock and movement might let us help you. In the meantime, is your clock anything like the one shown in this earlier thread?

clocksforfun52

Aug 25, 2013
Manchester, Tennessee
Country
The only thing that looks the same is the door on the back. The top comes down smooth but flairs out then goes back down. A very well made clock. I was not given the original key and now will have to find the correct one. I have no way to adjust the regulation. My key for my Hadley model Ingraham will not fit, the adjustment is somewhat bigger on the New haven model. I have no way of taking pictures but am assured someone out there will or can supply a correct picture whan they see this post, at least I hope. Thanks, R.G. Davis

KyleG

Nov 4, 2006
Country
Region
Here are some pictures of my 'Harmonious'. The mahogany case measures just a tad under 20" long x 4-3/4" deep x 9-1/2" high. The movement is front mount with rack & snail bim-bam strike on two rods. I think New Haven referred to this twin rod configuration as their 'Harmony duo-tone strike'. You'll also note the split rear plate that is supposed to allow repair of the M/S without tearing the whole movement down to access, though I found the barrels difficult to remove without removing the upper part of the plate. I also have a similar New Haven tambour named 'Harmoniste' which has an identical movement, but the tambour 'head' is octagon shaped rather than round. Sorry,
but I can't offer any help on dates.

Kyle

Attachments

Steven Thornberry

User Administrator
Staff member
NAWCC Member
Jan 15, 2004
Here and there
Country
Here are some pictures of my 'Harmonious'. The mahogany case measures just a tad under 20" long x 4-3/4" deep x 9-1/2" high. The movement is front mount with rack & snail bim-bam strike on two rods. I think New Haven referred to this twin rod configuration as their 'Harmony duo-tone strike'. You'll also note the split rear plate that is supposed to allow repair of the M/S without tearing the whole movement down to access, though I found the barrels difficult to remove without removing the upper part of the plate. I also have a similar New Haven tambour named 'Harmoniste' which has an identical movement, but the tambour 'head' is octagon shaped rather than round. Sorry,
but I can't offer any help on dates.

Kyle
Thanks for pictures of the Harmonious, Kyle. Nice to see what we are working with. As for the Harmoniste, did you by chance look at the thread to which I linked in post 2 above? In that thread is an "octagon" tambour whose label we couldn't completely make out.

clocksforfun52

Aug 25, 2013
Manchester, Tennessee
Country
Thanks very much. I am guessing late 1920s to 30s on this clock. I got this clock for 85 dollars and it is in great shape and runs well. I just need the correct key, I have no way to adjust the speed. It has fairly tight tolerances on the space where you regulate it. Thanks again, R.G. Davis

owen.or

NAWCC Member
Aug 26, 2000
Near Portland, Oregon
Country
Region
Until you get the correct key, it looks to me like you should be able to regulate the clock using the pendulum. Just loosen the bolt in the slot in the pendulum shaft, and move the bob up or down as needed. Then tighten the bolt. David, owen.or

KyleG

Nov 4, 2006
Country
Region
Thanks for pictures of the Harmonious, Kyle. Nice to see what we are working with. As for the Harmoniste, did you by chance look at the thread to which I linked in post 2 above? In that thread is an "octagon" tambour whose label we couldn't completely make out.
Yes, the link you provided looks like my Harmoniste though a different wood. The clock in the link appears to be oak, while mine is very dark - probably walnut or mahogany finish. It is so dirty & crusty I can't be sure.

MuseChaser

NAWCC Member
Feb 5, 2019
Country
Region
I know this is an old thread, but figured it'd be better to keep info re/ this model in one spot. I found this and a few other threads looking for more detail about the workings of this particular movement. I've got three of Conover's great books, "Basics," "Strike," and "Chime" volumes. This particular movement isn't in any of them that I've found; the New Haven in the "Strike" volume has round plates and the rack/snail geometry isn't the same... but I have no idea what I'm doing or what I'm talking about, so perhaps there's enough information there to help me assemble this movement correctly and I just don't understand it (totally possible).

I've replaced both mainsprings (I had started another short thread about that a month or two ago when I got the clock, and finally got the correct springs a few days ago) by hand, but it wasn't difficult. Couldn't use my newly constructed Collins winder because I don't have any extra or "dummy" arbors on hand, and this movement has open spring retaining barrels behind the first wheels. Have read the solutions to this in Bangster's thread about this dilemma, and will have to grab some spare arbors for the future.

I have not cleaned the movement yet, other than the business end of the arbors and barrels, but have had the back plate off and a few of the wheels out in order to pull the spring arbors/wheels. I'm going to disassemble it again (fully, this time) and give it a good cleaning, but in the meantime I've reassembled it with the new springs to make sure I have them installed correctly and didn't reverse them (I had marked the barrels "Left" and "Right," but couldn't remember if that was "Left" and "Right" from the front or back perspective... SMH). They are in correctly... but there's a problem.

Here's the backplate, just for ID purposes, with verge, suspension rod/spring, and rate adjustment mechanism removed......

NewHavenHarmonious Back.jpg

And the front...,

NewHavenHarmonious Front.jpg

I'm sure I caused this during reassembly, and I want to understand what I did wrong before completely disassembling it so I can get it back together correctly later. The problem is that the gathering pallet (A) won't unlock and turn to release the rack, no matter what lever I lift, and the foot of the rack (or whatever it's called?) indicated at B is locking the snail, preventing the minute hand arbor from turning any further. I can't "unfreeze" the movement.

Soo... where did I go wrong? All of the arbors move freely between the plates and have an appropriate amount of end play. The issue is almost certainly not having the various locking pins on the wheels oriented properly upon re-assembly... or something was bent or out of adjustment when I go the clock. Can anyone help out?

Thank you!

Edit: Is it possible that the problem was caused by allowing the clock to run freely without the verge installed (with only a couple clicks on the time spring as a power test)? I got it "unstuck" somehow (to be honest, not sure how... gently rocking the time train back and forth, I guess) and noticed that as long as I "paused" the time train every 30 minutes to allow the strike chain to go through it's cycle, everything seemed to work properly. Did I cause the lockup by allowing it to run without giving it time to strike ever 30/60 minutes? Still would be grateful for any specific advice or links as to how to align the stop pins and other thing correctly after I disassemble for cleaning.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ynolems
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Rockford's early high grade movements by Greg Frauenhoff