• The online Bulletins and Mart and Highlights are currently unavailable due to a failure of a network piece of equipment. We are working to replace it and have the Online publications available as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience.

New Haven Hammer Head. Wood?

wow

NAWCC Member
Jun 24, 2008
Pineville, La. (central La.)
Country
Region
Just finished this one. Got the chimes and strike all synced, put it in the case and it sounded terrible. Chimes and strike went “clunk” instead of chiming. Adjusted hammer tails and everything else I could find to adjust and they still clunked. Finally noticed the hammer heads were wood and loose in the hammers. All of them. I thought they were originally leather. Should I glue the wood back in or replace with leather. Think somebody replaced them with wood:???:?

EB93711B-D342-4821-B4C0-AE2F9B56FF6C.jpeg 3AD6764C-B555-49FD-8DBF-81234911E908.jpeg

ChimeTime

May 4, 2021
NE Georgia
Country
Region
Those weren't "hammers", they were "mallets". :)

Actually, I'm wondering if the deadening came from the loose wood slipping down onto the chime rods. IOW, if they were secure in the hammers, would you have had the same dead note ?

wow

NAWCC Member
Jun 24, 2008
Country
Region
Those weren't "hammers", they were "mallets". :)

Actually, I'm wondering if the deadening came from the loose wood slipping down onto the chime rods. IOW, if they were secure in the hammers, would you have had the same dead note ?
I think the looseness is definitely causing the thud. Just wondering about the wood. Never seen wood hammer heads on chimes.

ChimeTime

May 4, 2021
NE Georgia
Country
Region
Just wondering about the wood. Never seen wood hammer heads on chimes.
And that is the root motivation here. I'm looking for softer chime striking materials because She Who Must Be Obeyed is easily annoyed, and wood at one time was a prime candidate.

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
In that case, it might be best to make the jump all the way to felt! Willie X

Last edited:

wow

NAWCC Member
Jun 24, 2008
Country
Region
In that case, it might be best to make the jump all the way to felt. Willie X
I’ve done a few of these tambors before and I don’t think they had wood hammer heads. They all had nice quiet chimes. So felt would be better than leather? Have you ever seen them with wood, Willie?

Isaac

Aug 5, 2013
Country
Region
Yeah, my "Melrose" when I had it used soft leather hammers and had an audible but quiet chime.

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
Yes, leather is what they had.

I mentioned 'felt' to appease "She Who Must Be Obeyed". :)

Willie X

Reactions: Royce

Bruce Alexander

Sponsor
NAWCC Brass Member
Feb 22, 2010
Hanover, PA
www.testoftimeclocks.com
Country
Region
I've seen wood inserts but so far they have all been in Sonora Bell Chimes. I've used Delrin inserts on said clocks when the original leather has badly deteriorated. If the chime rods are well tuned and resonant, I see no reason why they wood wouldn't work just fine.

Maybe the previous owner was hard of hearing or something. :)
At any rate soft leather works well and can be conditioned into a harder material if needed.

Is that one of those infamous 3-plate movements Will? If so, I'm sure you'll be glad to have this one done, eh?

Bruce

wow

NAWCC Member
Jun 24, 2008
Country
Region
I've seen wood inserts but so far they have all been in Sonora Bell Chimes. I've used Delrin inserts on said clocks when the original leather has badly deteriorated. If the chime rods are well tuned and resonant, I see no reason why they wood wouldn't work just fine.

Maybe the previous owner was hard of hearing or something. :)
At any rate soft leather works well and can be conditioned into a harder material if needed.

Is that one of those infamous 3-plate movements Will? If so, I'm sure you'll be glad to have this one done, eh?

Bruce
It’s the two plate, Bruce, but they are quite complicated. They are covered in Conover’s chime book. I’ve worked on several of these lately and have finally reached the place where I don’t have to read the book to set the chimes. I read it so many times on the first one, I almost memorized that section. This one, the Junghans, and the Seth Thomas 124 are all buggers.Conover’s book sure helps. He doesn’t cover wooden hammer heads, though.

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
I think a wooden dowel of the right size might look tempting to a shade tree mechanic. Pretty sure the originals were leather.

R. Croswell

Apr 4, 2006
Trappe, Md.
www.greenfieldclockshop.com
Country
Region
I agree that wood was not original but I had a simple time & strike New Haven with a wood hammer tip that sounded just fine. Perhaps a little too bright for some. I don't see any reason that the wood hammer tips here shouldn't work OK as long as they are tight and come to rest about 1/8" above the tone rods. "Clunking" sound is usually caused when the hammers are too close to the tone rods, and/or when something is loose. I would probably replace these with leather just to be original. Wood or leather it should sound fine is everything else is right.

RC

Reactions: Willie X

wow

NAWCC Member
Jun 24, 2008
Country
Region
I agree that wood was not original but I had a simple time & strike New Haven with a wood hammer tip that sounded just fine. Perhaps a little too bright for some. I don't see any reason that the wood hammer tips here shouldn't work OK as long as they are tight and come to rest about 1/8" above the tone rods. "Clunking" sound is usually caused when the hammers are too close to the tone rods, and/or when something is loose. I would probably replace these with leather just to be original. Wood or leather it should sound fine is everything else is right.

RC
Thanks, RC. I came to the same conclusion. I used leather inserts and they all sound much better. They are nice and quiet. I like them quiet. Hope the owner does too. Only problem is, when I put it back together the hour strike was 12 every time. Oh, well, got to pull it out again and see what is happening to the rack. :???:

wow

NAWCC Member
Jun 24, 2008
Country
Region
That is risky. Good luck. Has the clock ever worked for the owner or owners?
Hope you saved the wood just in case.
It’s never worked for them. She’s never found anybody who could fix it. The last repairer lost three levers off of it and RC had them. She was so excited to hear I got the lost parts. I have been so busy I have not finished it till now. I did save the wood pieces but I think she’ll love the sound. All of these I have worked on sounded nice and quiet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johndavidcham
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-