New Haven Flip Mechanism

Discussion in 'Electric Horology' started by Larry48075, Jul 14, 2014.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Larry48075

Larry48075 Registered User

Mar 23, 2009
    Michigan, USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I am trying to restore an electric New Haven flip clock, and I am wondering how to open the movement for cleaning without the dozens of flip number pieces falling out. Does anyone here have experience with these?

NewHavenFlipMovemment.jpg

Thank You

Larry

2. damart299

damart299 Registered User

Feb 2, 2013
    Did you get help or responses to your question? I’m in the same situation and could use some help with the same clock.

3. Larry48075

Mar 23, 2009
    Michigan, USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I never succeeded in disassembling and restoring the movement. Somehow, two or three teeth broke off of the phenolic gear, so I put the clock aside and never finished it. I don't know if the teeth were broken when I bought the clock or if I caused the damage. The gear is really fragile. I don't know if I could ever find all of the parts of the again. It is a real shame as these clocks can sell for hundreds of dollars.

Larry

4. damart299

Feb 2, 2013
    I’m having problems trying to remove the knurled knob the rotates the numbers to allow disassembly, any ideas?

5. Larry48075

Mar 23, 2009
    Michigan, USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It should unscrew clockwise.

Larry

6. damart299

Feb 2, 2013
    Will try that. Thanks. I found the my clock was not running because several of the tickets had become bonded together and would not allow the clock to rotate the numbers. Released the tickets ,oiled the various gears and manually moved the mechanism, and it works!!