• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Thomas Sanguigni

NAWCC Member
Aug 22, 2018
secondhandclockshop.com
Country
Region
Well, what would you do? This clock was picked up to fix up. The upper crest is missing, the back support is gone, a side wing is gone, what no glass, wooden ornamentation missing, the movement is covered in some unidentifiable crud, no gong, no pendulum, no hands, the verge is severely grooved, the dial pan well it is made of brass, and it is made of walnut.

I thought it would be neat to conduct a poll based on the clock's first impression.

Poll is above post.

IMG_1998.JPG

IMG_1999.JPG

IMG_2000.JPG

IMG_2001.JPG

IMG_2022.JPG

IMG_2026.JPG

bikerclockguy

Jul 22, 2017
Country
There’s a lot on the negative side of the ledger, for sure. I don’t see any potential as a “for profit” enterprise, whether fixing for someone else or to resell. On the other hand, I have undertaken projects like that myself, for the experience, and the satisfaction of bringing something back to life that was headed for the boneyard. If it were mine, and I was on the fence, I think I would disassemble and clean the movement, and see what I had there. You already know what’s ahead with the case and dial.

Thomas Sanguigni

NAWCC Member
Aug 22, 2018
secondhandclockshop.com
Country
Region
I agree Bikerclockguy, the only positive seems to be the brass pan and the walnut case. Don't forget to vote above. I made this a poll thread. I want to see how many clocksmiths would go one way or another.

bikerclockguy

Jul 22, 2017
Country
I voted for “fix it”, just because I hate to see things like that go in the trash. There’s a guy on eBay who makes the bric-a-brac trim, and there’s also usually a good supply of stuff like that in clock case parts/trim. I think some part of you wants to bring it back to life, or you wouldn’t have posted this thread. Look at it this way...if you do salvage it and take before and after(and some in-between)pics, what better testimonial to your skills?

Reactions: Dave T

PatH

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Dec 5, 2014
Texas
Country
Region
Wow! Nice work. Thanks for circling back with the results. How long do you estimate you spent on the entire project?

Thomas Sanguigni

NAWCC Member
Aug 22, 2018
secondhandclockshop.com
Country
Region
Thank you Pat for the kind words. It took a little over a year. It took a couple of months to work up the nerve to work on it. I worked on it between customer's clocks in the shop. I would imagine, if you worked non-stop, maybe three months. There are lots of these clocks that need good homes. I'm just glad it did not end up in the landfill.

PatH

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Dec 5, 2014
Texas
Country
Region
Very nice save. Thank you!

Bruce Alexander

Sponsor
NAWCC Brass Member
Feb 22, 2010
Country
Region
I see that your poll is closed but honestly, that derelict would have been in my "Expectant" Triage category. Nice work.

bikerclockguy

Jul 22, 2017
Country
It is a shame there was not a lot of interest here. I thought it might be inspirational to people who have clocks in rough shape.
Thomas, I’m not sure it was “lack of interest“ per se; it seems to me that for some reason(and you‘ve probably noticed this too), the Clock Case Restoration threads just don’t seem to get much interest period. I‘m not sure why that is, but it seems like when there are posts in this section, there’s just the same small group of people(you and me among them)who reply. I would agree that the Clock Repair section often makes for more interesting reading, but there is a lot of helpful info posted here as well. There are those who are of the belief that “original is sacred”, so that might have something to do with it. I like original myself if it looks good, but a crappy-looking dial or a beat-up case makes for a crappy looking clock in my book, and I go for the “as new/restored” look in those cases.

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
B_Lac
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller