• Upcoming updates
    Over the next couple of weeks we will be performing software updates on the forum. These will be completed in small steps as we upgrade individual software addons. You might occasionally see a maintenance message that will last a few minutes at most.

If we anticipate an update will take more than a few minutes, we'll put up a notice with estimated time.

Thank you!

New Haven Clock movement question

Benjamin Cooper

Feb 22, 2018
Country
Region
Hello to all Members,
About a week and a half ago I posted a picture of a clock that I recently got from a relative. A few days ago my Dad and myself took the movement out of the case, and to my surprise the movement appears to not have any maker’s name stamped on it?? I have been doing some research and I believe my clock is the New Haven “Rhine” model. It appears to have been made around 1880 give or take a few years. My question is, was it common for New Haven movements to not be stamped or marked during this time period? I would like to know please I’m attaching a photo of the movement, I am sorry it is dark it was sitting on a movement stand Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

EE9E32FD-13FE-41CC-9037-7276EA66C2DA.jpeg

Kevin W.

NAWCC Member
Apr 11, 2002
Nepean, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
I have seen a few unmarked New haven clock movements.

Benjamin Cooper

Feb 22, 2018
Country
Region
I have seen a few unmarked New haven clock movements.
Thank you Kevin for your reply. You were the first person to respond. I was quite puzzled that the movement is not marked with the clock maker's name. The majority of clock movements that I have seen have been marked. I guess it's not unheard of, I am just surprised, especially since it's an antique clock. I appreciate your input! :)

Benjamin Cooper

Feb 22, 2018
Country
Region
My New Haven does not have it marked either. And its 1910.
Thank you for your reply! I was quite puzzled and surprised that New Haven did not mark it. At first I thought it was an E. Ingraham, but then someone told me about the The New Haven Rhine model. I looked it up and it looks almost identical to mine. I was thinking it was odd that a well known clock manufacturer didn't mark the particular movement in my clock. But I guess it wasn't necessarily uncommon to do so among clock manufacturers

Reactions: Kevin W.

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
Look on the inside of the plates. It's a long shot but I've seen quite a few that were stamped on the wrong side.

I recently saw a Gilbert ladder chain GF movement with 1913 on on the front plate and 1914 on the back plate.

Surprises abound with old clocks.

Willie X

Jerome collector

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Sep 4, 2005
Omaha, NE
Country
Region
It was very common for New Haven not to stamp their movements with a maker's mark. If I had to guess, I'd say the stamped ones are far fewer than the unstamped ones.
Mike

Benjamin Cooper

Feb 22, 2018
Country
Region
Look on the inside of the plates. It's a long shot but I've seen quite a few that were stamped on the wrong side.

I recently saw a Gilbert ladder chain GF movement with 1913 on on the front plate and 1914 on the back plate.

Surprises abound with old clocks.

Willie X
Thank you Willie for your reply,
My Dad and I have since put the clock back in its case and back together. If we do end up needing to take it apart again, I will be sure to look on the inside of the plates. The clock seems to be running much better now. Something got out of adjustment somehow between the clutch and the escapement. We finally got it working properly.

Benjamin Cooper

Feb 22, 2018
Country
Region
It was very common for New Haven not to stamp their movements with a maker's mark. If I had to guess, I'd say the stamped ones are far fewer than the unstamped ones.
Mike
Thank you Mike for your reply.
This is good info to know.
Ben

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stademock
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit