NEW HAVEN CLOCK fan issue

Discussion in 'Clock Repair' started by John P, Apr 17, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. NAWCC Login Function is Not Working. If you know your username and password for the Message Board, you can log in using the small login link at the upper right.
  1. John P

John P Donor

Sep 17, 2010
    I was hoping you guys could help me figure out what to do about the fan drive
    problem on this New Haven shelf clock.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

What was in the space between those 2 small gears that would drive
    the fan?
    [​IMG]

john p

2. wow

wow Registered User

Jun 24, 2008
    John, it looks like someone has changed the arbor. They either replaced it with the one in the photo or they removed the pinion and installed those two gears. It should have a lantern pinion with pins which mesh with the wheel. Unusual movement for me, so I could be totally wrong. Maybe someone else will shed more light.

3. Dave T

Dave T Registered User

Dec 8, 2011
    Not sure this helps but here's a New Haven of a slightly different configuration. (Crusty old movement prior to cleaning) Looks like that arbor has been changed to me.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

4. Dave T

Dave T Registered User

Dec 8, 2011
    Update, Just found a clock like yours on the net. Looks like yours is correct, but appears to be missing the fan.
    If you search for New Haven movements on the famous for sale site you can see it.

5. R. Croswell

R. Croswell Registered User

Apr 4, 2006
    Search for, "Weird Antique NEW HAVEN Clock Movement" on that 'famous for sale site' shows one with the fan and that same soldered-on pinion.

John, is it possible that you have the wrong arbor installed to line up with the fan pinion? Obviously one of the two arbors shown is incorrect.

RC

6. wow

wow Registered User

Jun 24, 2008
    So, RC, I looked at the one on the web and I still don't understand why there are two gears on the fly arbor. Any idea?

7. Willie X

Willie X Registered User

Feb 9, 2008
    Someone's strange idea for a repair. Need to find a replacement assembly.
    Willie X

8. David S

David S Donor

Dec 18, 2011
    Male
    How about making a new lantern pinion? Seems like an interesting challenge.

David

9. wow

wow Registered User

Jun 24, 2008
    I would just put another fly and arbor on from my bone pile. I still don't understand the two gears posted by the OP and the same two shown in the photo on eBay. Not a coincidence.

10. Tinker Dwight

Tinker Dwight Registered User

Oct 11, 2010
    I get the feeling it was an attempt to create a lantern
    pinion. One could solder trunnions pins between the leaves
    of the pinions.
    Just a guess.
    Tinker Dwight

11. Jasons34

Jasons34 Registered User

Jan 1, 2016
    Just my opinion but looking at the one on that selling site makes me think that the one closest to the fly is to prevent the fly from being moved closer to that other gear. That fly has notches in it so it misses nearby gears but if that fly was able to slide even closer to the gear than the fly would most likely hit something then. That is my only thought as to why the 2 gears basically next to each other

12. Dave T

Dave T Registered User

Dec 8, 2011
    Jason, That makes a lot of sense to me too. Not sure why they would use a gear as a stop for the arbor, but it would work, (to keep the fan from sliding). A lot of arbors have a notch in it to provide a lock to hold the fan. But this one doesn't.

13. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator

Oct 19, 2005
    I wonder if the two gears are supposed to be one, and they are just separated. Odd configuration though. I've never seen one with gears.

14. wow

wow Registered User

Jun 24, 2008
    I thought about that too, Shutt, but makes no sense why they would put two together. Why not just one wide one. If John's photos were the only photos we had, I would say it has to be a changed arbor. But....since the one showed up on eBay with the same set-up, it must have been a factory thing. Crazy!!!

15. Willie X

Willie X Registered User

Feb 9, 2008
    Maybe it's the same movement.
    Willie X

16. Tinker Dwight

Tinker Dwight Registered User

Oct 11, 2010
    Are both pinions the same size?
    The one on evil bay has the outer pinion engaged.
    Are both pinions soldered? It looks like the inner one is.

I don't think the one on evil bay will work. The fan has
    cutouts to clear the lower lantern pinion.
    When out of the notch like that it will hit.
    Tinker Dwight

17. David S

David S Donor

Dec 18, 2011
    Male
    Can someone pm me with the link to the one on ebay? I searched and can't find anything close.

David

18. Dave T

Dave T Registered User

Dec 8, 2011
    Did some more searching. If you search for "old orginal New Haven w/1 hammer" you can see the same movement with the lantern pinion and the notched fan. This appears to be the way it came from the factory.
    I think the 'weird antique new haven' has had modification, same as the one we're discussing here. Odd that two movements have has the same modification though.

19. David S

David S Donor

Dec 18, 2011
    Male
    thanks Tinker but that item number didn't register on ebay. Typo? or I just don't use ebay enough.

David

20. David S

David S Donor

Dec 18, 2011
    Male
    Well Tinker I have tried the item number and skyped my son in law to try and we can't get any joy with that item number. Not sure if it is because we are in canada or what. I assume we are talking about ebay and not craigslist or...?

Hate this cat and mouse game that these site rules put us through.. We are an educational site and trying to help each other and attempting to reference things that are on other sites. But we have to keep it covert so that in the future folks reading this thread won't have a clue....Opps did I just say this.. :(

David