new haven banjo time strike keep painting from flaking off more?

Discussion in 'Clock Repair' started by ogee_guy, Apr 13, 2013.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. ogee_guy

ogee_guy Registered User

Apr 16, 2006
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    got this for $48 runs but reverse painting flaking how to stop also about what year is this found some 33- numbers on movement has pin holding hands on 1910 or so ? banjo 002.jpg banjo 004.jpg

2. Thyme

Thyme Banned

Sep 18, 2006
    metro NY area
    Typical New Haven Banjo, probably the "Whitney", made around 1932.

You will need to have the tablet restored, and that requires skill in reverse painting.

3. ogee_guy

ogee_guy Registered User

Apr 16, 2006
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    found on forum search to paint with krylon clear had some of that from my bookbinding stuff did that and mixed some hobby paint was missing sky so worked out ok I think

Attached Files:

4. ogee_guy

ogee_guy Registered User

Apr 16, 2006
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    had acrylic paint mixed blue white and green and painted it on the back as the sky was where it flaked off of

5. klokwiz

klokwiz Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 4, 2009
    WRENCH
    Annapolis, MD
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Ogee,

your last picture is pretty blurry. would like to see one in focus. that being said I'm probably sure it looks much better. You should look at the throat tablet and see if it is starting to lift from the glass. If so yo should remove it carefully and coat the back with clear varnish. this will help to hold any loose paint and keep future loss from happening. You should drip the varnish on not brush it since this will disturb loose paint.

Joe

6. Thyme

Thyme Banned

Sep 18, 2006
    metro NY area
    Nothing enhances a clock restoration like the look of dribbled varnish.

7. klokwiz

klokwiz Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 4, 2009
    WRENCH
    Annapolis, MD
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #7 klokwiz, Apr 16, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2013
    Thyme,

not sure what you mean by your last post. the addition of clear varnish to the back of the tablet is the only way i have found to a assure that the paint will not continue to flake off or be disturbed during the protection process. please let us know if there is a method you find better. I am posting pictures of a similar tablet I just finished in one of my banjos. Joe neck tablet1.jpg neck tablet full touch-up.jpg neck tablet lower touched-up.jpg neck tablet varnish1.jpg neck tablet varnish2.jpg the first photo is prior to coating the second is coated and small losses touched up prior to reinstalling it. the last two show the varnish after it has dried, before they were touched up.

I forgot to mention that i used oil paint to matchup the white areas that were missing, I left the few small blue losses since they would be most hard to match well and really did not detract from the appearance. Joe.

8. klokwiz

klokwiz Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 4, 2009
    WRENCH
    Annapolis, MD
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #8 klokwiz, Apr 16, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2013
    tablet2.jpg tablet back varnished.jpg tablet back1.jpg tablet front removed and cleaned.jpg I have also used this technique in this more complex tablet. It had been touched up previously with blue green house paint. I first cleaned the tablet removing as much loose dirt as possible with a soft natural hair brush, then clear varnished back of tablet. the next step is to scrap out the house paint and restore the missing areas. with the clear varnish protecting the old paint the process of restoration can proceed with little damage to the original work. Joe.

pic1) closeup of of some removed house paint (compare to pic#4) 2) back of tablet varnished 3) tablet back as it appeared before work started 4) front of tablet after varnishing