New Haven Banjo Clocks case side frets/decorations.

Schaferhunde

Jan 12, 2021
Country
Region
Were they painted or plated originally?

Chris.K

NAWCC Member
Jul 15, 2021
Country
Region
They were plated. The ones I have were plated in brass but that has worn off so I'm going to nickel plate the sides and the bezel. Chris

Schaferhunde

Jan 12, 2021
Country
Region
They were plated. The ones I have were plated in brass but that has worn off so I'm going to nickel plate the sides and the bezel. Chris
Thanks, but mine appear to have been originally painted a gold/brass colour. I see no evidence of any prev plating and the application of the paint is without any lumps or irregularities in the finish and its showing age, these came off another NH Banjo which had no restoration to its case. Under t he paint you can see a black primer applied to the die cast metal showing through were its been abraised. Interesting.

Schaferhunde

Jan 12, 2021
Country
Region
Thanks, but mine appear to have been originally painted a gold/brass colour. I see no evidence of any prev plating and the application of the paint is without any lumps or irregularities in the finish and its showing age, these came off another NH Banjo which had no restoration to its case. Under t he paint you can see a black primer applied to the die cast metal showing through were its been abraised. Interesting.
Ooops I think you could be right, its a strange plating for brass but on closer examination it does appear to be a weird brass/gold plated finish. Also these frets had never been removed as in the process most of the screws were destroyed by the person who removed them.

NH Side Fret 1.jpg NH Side Fret 2..jpg NH Side Fret 3..jpg

Reactions: Chris.K

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GallDG
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Watch Inspectors by Kent