New Haven "Abbey" Gothic Mantel Chime Clock c.1925

Discussion in 'Your Newest Clock Acquisition' started by davidpaul, Feb 22, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. For the new NAWCC home page
    Click this image at the upper left corner of this page.
  1. davidpaul

davidpaul Registered User

Oct 6, 2012
    Military 100% Disabled
    50 Miles South of Tucson, Arizona
    Country Flag:
    This clock is keeping good time and the Westminster chimes work as they should.

The case needs a small amount of repair in a few places.

some time during the next few weeks I plan on tearing this one down completely so that I can repair and refinish the case properly and clean/oil the movement. Of course, the brass will get polished and clear coated, as well.

Attached Files:

2. Brian Smith

Brian Smith Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 16, 2009
    Building Official
    Manassas, VA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Since nobody is responding, I will say that I covet your clock.

3. harold bain

harold bain Registered User
    NAWCC Member Deceased

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    deceased
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I would suggest purchasing Steven Conovers Chime Clock Repair book before stripping this one down. It will save you days of time trying to figure it out.

4. davidpaul

Oct 6, 2012
    Military 100% Disabled
    Country Flag:
    Brian,

There is no need to "covet" my clock. You can have it for the right price............Just kidding, of course. I know this clock will be a bit of work repairing the outer shell, but I am looking forward to it.

I have already purchased the proper color and texture of cloth that was in the original "door".

Definitely looking forward to making this look as close as I can to the original.

Thanks for the response. Makes me feel good that I purchased it.

By the way, I spotted this on a lower shelf, in the back of a second hand store. I almost didn't even see it but when I did, I fell in love immediately. Even my wife was impressed. She is a total supporter of my weird hobby and quite frankly, I think she loves the finished product as much as I do.

Fortunately, she is a lover of all antiques, including yours truly. :) Seventy four years does qualify, doesn't it??

David <><

5. davidpaul

Oct 6, 2012
    Military 100% Disabled
    Country Flag:
    Brian,

I appreciate your advice and will definitely look into the purchase of that book prior to working on this clock.

The New Haven "Abbey" deserves the very best.

David <><

6. insomniacshotrods

insomniacshotrods Registered User

Feb 20, 2015
    Mailman
    Missouri
    Country Flag:
    Gonna be a nice clock it has a lot of character. Look forward to seeing it done.

7. Dave T

Dave T Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 8, 2011
    retired
    NC
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I see these clocks come up on rare occasion, and really like the style. Not sure what you have planned for the cabinet, but it looks to me as if it will clean up nicely.
    Look forward to seeing the finished product.

8. beechleaf

beechleaf Registered User

Apr 9, 2013
    U.S. Postal Service
    Utah
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Very very nice clock.

9. davidpaul

Oct 6, 2012
    Military 100% Disabled
    Country Flag:
    Abbey Movement Tear Down.jpg Started the tear down process on the Abbey today.

Gave the movement a nice sonic bath and got it oiled. It has been running very strong all day. I think I will only have to adjust the hammers when it goes back into the case.

I plan on stripping the case completely. The old finish has a lot of checking. I will get it a bit lighter in color and have the beautiful Mahogany grain come through.

Attached Files:

10. davidpaul

Oct 6, 2012
    Military 100% Disabled
    Country Flag:
    The refurb is completed on this New Haven "Abbey".

Their attention to detail regarding the construction of these clocks is fantastic. I almost forgot how to put it back together again. There are a lot of parts holding the movement to the case.

I did take a few pictures during disassembly but should have taken more. At least I didn't have any parts left over.;)

By the way, it runs beautifully. 20160307_200643.jpg 20160307_200504.jpg 20160307_200559.jpg