New Haven 30 Hr. Mvt.

Discussion in 'Clock Repair' started by Organist, Sep 12, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Organist

Organist Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 29, 2010
    Male
    Retired
    Ohio
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Well, here it is. It's been running all day. But in several bushings, cleaned, shined up the pivots, etc. I was surprised that they looked pretty good, esp. the one that used the piece of spring as a bushing. It runs nice and quiet now.

While the homemade pendulum had its own kind of charm, I had a correct one, and when I compared the two, the homemade one was much heavier. When I put it on the movement, the swing was much wider, and it just didn't look right-- like it was working the movement too hard. The correct one has a shorter swing and seems more relaxed somehow. I'm guessing using the homemade pendulum might be hard on the movement.

I did do some cleaning and shining up the case. I need to figure out what to use to fix up the gold trim. Much of the paint has flaked off.

Here's what it looks like:

2. R. Croswell

R. Croswell Registered User

Apr 4, 2006
    Male
    Trappe, Md.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Looks like its running well. The video is a little short to see clearly but it looks like the drops are not quite equal, but with that healthy swing it should run OK. Does the tic or tock sound "harder" than the other? Looks like it cleaned up nicely.

RC

3. Organist

Organist Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 29, 2010
    Male
    Retired
    Ohio
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The tic-toc sounds pretty good, but I would say it sounded like it was working harder with the heavier pendulum. I might not of noticed had I not compare the two. I haven't started the second one yet. There is some recoil, but I'm wondering if there should be a bit more. I'll think on it overnight and see if it's still running tomorrow. It did clean up nice. It took longer than I expected. I'd get so far, then realize I needed something I didn't have, then have to order. Still, I enjoyed working on it.

Mike

4. Bruce Alexander

Bruce Alexander Registered User
    Sponsor NAWCC Brass Member

Feb 22, 2010
    Male
    Retired, not tired
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hey Mike,

Looks nice and in my experience it often...
    ...:)

I think that Vimeo is a good video hosting service but one thing I really like about YouTube is that you can adjust the playback speed. The resolution doesn't seem to be as good as Vimeo's though (which you can adjust).

I can't tell which drop is a little longer than the other. If it's the exit, you might try closing the Escapement Depth very, very slightly. If it's the entrance drop, just leave it as is. I think it's pretty close.

Good job & thanks for posting your follow-up. :thumb:

Bruce