New Haven 30 hour sharp gothic clock

Discussion in 'Your Newest Clock Acquisition' started by Rockin Ronnie, Nov 6, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Rockin Ronnie

Rockin Ronnie Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 18, 2012
    Male
    retired educator
    Greenfield, Nova Scotia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I bought this at a local auction. It is a 30 hour New Haven sharp gothic (steeple) time and strike clock. It is in good condition apart from minor veneer issues. It is 20 1/2 inches tall with a 5-inch dial.

I am trying to date the clock. It has an almost perfect label but for a bit of staining and an over-pasted label on the bottom centre from a clock shop in Halifax, Nova Scotia. The blue label says, Thomas D. Spike, watchmaker and jeweller. I checked an online database and found that the business was listed in the 1869-70 City of Halifax business directory, however, I do not know how long he operated his business. I am assuming that the clock came from his shop.

The tablet is interesting and features a sailboat against Greek (?) temples.

I know these clocks were made from about the 1830s to around 1900. Does 1870s sound about right?

Ron

RS New Haven Gothic Steeple.jpg RS New Haven Gothic Steeple_2.jpg RS New Haven Gothic Steeple_3a.jpg RS New Haven Gothic Steeple_9.jpg

2. claussclocks

claussclocks Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 14, 2013
    Male
    Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I checked in Tran Duy Ly's New Haven guide and found a similar clock but not date. Switching to some other resources I found a listing for what appears to be this clock dated as the mid 1800's.
    I like the tablet and the case appears to be in very good condition. Even the knob is nicely decorated. I think you have acquired a nice clock.

I see you are listed as a retired educator. I've heard it said, "Old teachers never die, they just de-grade." Sorry I will go slap myself for that pun:eek:;).

Seriously, a very nice clock . Congratulations!!

PatH and Rockin Ronnie like this.
  3. Rockin Ronnie

NAWCC Member

Nov 18, 2012
    Male
    retired educator
    Greenfield, Nova Scotia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks for checking. Some day I will add Tran Duy Ly to my resource library.

Love the humour!

Ron

4. Jerome collector

Jerome collector Registered User
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2005
    Geologist, US Army Corps of Engineers
    Omaha, NE
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Your guess of 1870s is reasonable. The tapered escape wheel bridge was introduced around 1870. The tablet style is typical of the 1870s.
    Mike

5. Rockin Ronnie

NAWCC Member

Nov 18, 2012
    Male
    retired educator
    Greenfield, Nova Scotia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Much appreciated Mike.
    Ron