New Haven 1870s tapered pins for movement plates

legosnell

Nov 5, 2020
Country
I need to buy some papered pins for a New Haven 1870s movement plates. I'm not sure what size to order from timesavers. Maybe just an assortment? Any idea what will work or what size I should order. I'm not able to measure the one or two that I didn't manage to lose since I'm away from home for a week or so. Here is a picture of the movement before I managed to lose the tapered pins. Appreciate any help. Larry Gosnell

Cleaned, rebuilt, 7 bushings, oiled. complete.jpg

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
Get the 1" long steel ones. Usually the 'medium' size but I can get you the exact measurements later.

The assortments are usually nothing but a disappointment.

If you don't need anything else to make up a parts order, a length of close fitting soft iron wire, bent on both ends is a good (maybe better) substitute. The "S" wires will never fall out.

Willie X

Reactions: legosnell

legosnell

Nov 5, 2020
Country
Get the 1" long steel ones. Usually the 'medium' size but I can get you the exact measurements later.

The assortments are usually nothing but a disappointment.

Willie X
That would be great Willie, sure appreciate it. I'm trying to put together a Timesavers order while I'm out of town and wanted to include the tapered pins.

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
To be safe, I would order both the medium (.030" x .065") and the large (.040" x .075"). All steel and all 1" long, Merritt's numbers are P-858 and P-859, respectfully.

Might as well add the small (.015" x .053"), also 1" long, and you will have all the bases covered ... The small will mostly be used in European clocks though.

Willie X

legosnell

Nov 5, 2020
Country
To be safe, I would order both the medium (.030" x .065") and the large (.040" x .075"). All steel and all 1" long, Merritt's numbers are P-858 and P-859, respectfully.

Might as well add the small (.015" x .053"), also 1" long, and you will have all the bases covered ... The small will mostly be used in European clocks though.

Willie X
Ok, perfect exactly what I needed to know. Thank you very much Willie.

Swanicyouth

Nov 10, 2019
Country
I just used the ones from Merrits. I dunno the size, but they are brass & maybe 3/4” long. The taper goes from big to small pretty noticeably.

I bought them for holding hands on the movement, but they also worked fine replacing the toothpicks that were holding my Ingraham movement together.

legosnell

Nov 5, 2020
Country
I'm hearing Merrits mentioned here several times instead of timesavers.

R. Croswell

Apr 4, 2006
Trappe, Md.
www.greenfieldclockshop.com
Country
Region
I would recommend brass tapered pins in steel posts, and steel tapered pins in brass posts. The first time ordering I would get the assortment, afterwards just order the size(s) you run low on. www.merritts.com should also have these. They give good service and are located in PA but their website is dreadfully slow and a pain to navigate......in my opinion.

RC

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
It would be nice if they just made one size, and made them long enough that you could just cut off the parts you don't want. The cut off parts could likely be used sometime too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
garyray
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-