New Haven 1 Day "Tuscan" Mantle Clock

captainclock

Mar 4, 2013
Elkhart, Indiana
Country
Region
Greetings everyone, after going through 2 clocks that were "duds" so to speak (they didn't have the correct movement in them) I went back to the antique mall and bought the third and final clock that the booth had of the $49 clocks with 20% discount and the third clock turned out to be the charm! :emoji_grinning:

It is a New Haven "Tuscan" 1 Day Parlor Clock that was still all original yet except for the pendulum bob which I happened to have a replacement from timesavers laying around and it even had its original key with it yet!

It only strikes the hours (like my Seth Thomas Column and Cornice does) and it strikes kind of fast like my Seth Thomas Column and Cornice does.

Does anyone have any information about this particular clock as far as when it was made or orther information about it?

See pictures below.

New Haven Parlor Clock.jpg New Haven Parlor Clock Inside View.jpg

Also in case you're wondering why the clock looks like its floating in mid air its because the clock is hanging on the wall and my walls are white which gives the clock the appearance of floating in mid air.

Reactions: Salsagev

Jim Hartog

NAWCC Member
Jan 6, 2010
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Hello captainclock,

Tran Duy Ly has a bunch of "Tuscans" on page 296 of his book, New Haven Clocks and Watches. However, all are from an 1880 catalogue. If yours is 17 3/4 inches tall, it is likely the "Tuscaon, V.P." It also came in an eight day version and an alarm was an optional extra. V.P. means visible pendulum. There is no mention of wood species for the case.

Jim

captainclock

Mar 4, 2013
Elkhart, Indiana
Country
Region
Hello captainclock,

Tran Duy Ly has a bunch of "Tuscans" on page 296 of his book, New Haven Clocks and Watches. However, all are from an 1880 catalogue. If yours is 17 3/4 inches tall, it is likely the "Tuscaon, V.P." It also came in an eight day version and an alarm was an optional extra. V.P. means visible pendulum. There is no mention of wood species for the case.

Jim
Thanks for the info, I'll get back to you about case measurements. The pendulum is visible in the door glass.

Is the visible pendulum version of this clock scarcer than the non-Visible version?

Jim Hartog

NAWCC Member
Jan 6, 2010
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Hello captainclock,

Tran shows five "Tuscans". In four of them the pendulum is visible but only one of the four is called "V.P'.

1. Tuscan: one day, time only, 14.5 inches tall, single, stencilled door glass
2. Small Tuscan, Extra: one or eight day time and strike, 16 inches tall, single, stencilled door glass
3. Tuscan: one day or eight day time and strike, 17.75 inches tall, opaque painted lower glass in two glass door
4. Tuscan V.P.: one day or eight day time and strike, 17.75 inches tall, stencil on glass in single paned door
5. Tuscan D.R.: one day or eight day time and strike, 18 inches tall, two round glasses in round frames in door, lower glass stencilled

A couple of these will show up on Google Images.

All came with alarm options. I have no idea what the D.R. stands for (ooooo, I'm going to guess Double Round). There is no way I can make a comment on how rare one model is compared to the others.

Jim

captainclock

Mar 4, 2013
Elkhart, Indiana
Country
Region
Hello captainclock,

Tran shows five "Tuscans". In four of them the pendulum is visible but only one of the four is called "V.P'.

1. Tuscan: one day, time only, 14.5 inches tall, single, stencilled door glass
2. Small Tuscan, Extra: one or eight day time and strike, 16 inches tall, single, stencilled door glass
3. Tuscan: one day or eight day time and strike, 17.75 inches tall, opaque painted lower glass in two glass door
4. Tuscan V.P.: one day or eight day time and strike, 17.75 inches tall, stencil on glass in single paned door
5. Tuscan D.R.: one day or eight day time and strike, 18 inches tall, two round glasses in round frames in door, lower glass stencilled

A couple of these will show up on Google Images.

All came with alarm options. I have no idea what the D.R. stands for (ooooo, I'm going to guess Double Round). There is no way I can make a comment on how rare one model is compared to the others.

Jim
Well I'm not sure where the 17 3/4" length is being measured from but from the peak of the clock to the bottom of the base is 17 1/4" on mine.

Also on these clocks are they supposed to only strike out the hour, or are they supposed to have a half-hour strike as well? I'm asking because mine only strikes out the hour and that's it.

Is this book you are talking about available on Google books? It would be helpful to see the pictures of the clocks you are discussing from that book, which I dont have a copy of.

Steven Thornberry

User Administrator
Staff member
NAWCC Member
Jan 15, 2004
Here and there
Country
Well I'm not sure where the 17 3/4" length is being measured from but from the peak of the clock to the bottom of the base is 17 1/4" on mine.

Also on these clocks are they supposed to only strike out the hour, or are they supposed to have a half-hour strike as well? I'm asking because mine only strikes out the hour and that's it.

Is this book you are talking about available on Google books? It would be helpful to see the pictures of the clocks you are discussing from that book, which I dont have a copy of.
Many American clocks did not have a half-hour strike. In particular, one-day American clocks generally did not have a half-hour strike.

To my knowledge, Tran's books are not on Google books. Copies may be obtained from arlingtonbooks.com and often may be found elsewhere such as eBay and Amazon. If someone has at hand a copy of the New Haven book, it is permissible to post scans/photos of the relevant pages.

Jim Hartog

NAWCC Member
Jan 6, 2010
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Hello captain clock,

Your glass stencil design does not show up in Tran's book until 1886 in a "Small Gothic" and you have a spiral gong, not a bell. The 1880's clocks had bells more than gongs and gongs did not show up frequently until later, like 1885 and 1890. Because of that, your clock is probably more recent (five years) than the clocks in Tran's book. And, there is not much point in having a nice "visible pendulum" when the stencil does not allow viewing of the pendulum from the outside. That and the fact that your case is only 17.25 inches tall, may mean that your clock is not a "Tuscan V.P." and is another "Tuscan" that did not make the catalogues from which these pictures are taken. Identification is not always clear cut.

How did you know it was a "Tuscan"? Is there a label on the back?

Jim

captainclock

Mar 4, 2013
Elkhart, Indiana
Country
Region
Hello captain clock,

Your glass stencil design does not show up in Tran's book until 1886 in a "Small Gothic" and you have a spiral gong, not a bell. The 1880's clocks had bells more than gongs and gongs did not show up frequently until later, like 1885 and 1890. Because of that, your clock is probably more recent (five years) than the clocks in Tran's book. And, there is not much point in having a nice "visible pendulum" when the stencil does not allow viewing of the pendulum from the outside. That and the fact that your case is only 17.25 inches tall, may mean that your clock is not a "Tuscan V.P." and is another "Tuscan" that did not make the catalogues from which these pictures are taken. Identification is not always clear cut.

How did you know it was a "Tuscan"? Is there a label on the back?

Jim
Yes it has a paper label on the back that says Tuscan 1 Day on the back. I can take a picture of the paper label on the back of the clock case.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tommy Nolan
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller