New Hampshire Mirror Clock, Benjamin Morrill, Boscawen, NH

Raymond Rice

NAWCC Member
Feb 14, 2011
NYS
Country
Region
I got this one at auction this past weekend. It appears to be pretty much "right", signed dial, Morrill clock paper,original mirror and glass. Original finish, showing 200 years of wear/dust. I put it in beat and its been running for a couple of days. (Considering the size of the weight, I don't think the works had any choice about running.)

Ray Rice

IMG_3207.JPG IMG_3198.JPG IMG_3196.JPG IMG_3199.JPG IMG_3200.JPG IMG_3203.JPG IMG_3204.JPG IMG_3205.JPG IMG_3194.JPG IMG_3195.JPG IMG_3197.JPG IMG_3206.JPG

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member
Nov 26, 2009
Country
I got this one at auction this past weekend. It appears to be pretty much "right", signed dial, Morrill clock paper,original mirror and glass. Original finish, showing 200 years of wear/dust. I put it in beat and its been running for a couple of days. (Considering the size of the weight, I don't think the works had any choice about running.)

Ray Rice

View attachment 727712 View attachment 727714 View attachment 727715 View attachment 727717 View attachment 727718 View attachment 727720 View attachment 727721 View attachment 727723 View attachment 727725 View attachment 727726 View attachment 727728 View attachment 727729
Sweet!

So many things to like.

Label looks "right" and good. Nice to have. It should be printed on wove paper. A close examination with a magnifier and raking light will reveal that the printing just slightly indents the paper. If the printing sits on top of the surface of the paper, someone made it with a later printer.

Chandler and Chadwick used a similarly shaped movement.

To nit-pick a bit. I believe the dial is original but the paint redone. As is often the case, they just don't get the signature right. Should look more like this:

morrill mirror dial 2.JPG morrill mirror dial.JPG

Still a very nice clock. Well done and congrats!

By the way, Charles Parsons' book on NH clocks has a nice section on the Boscawen mirrors.

RM

Reactions: PatH

Raymond Rice

NAWCC Member
Feb 14, 2011
NYS
Country
Region
Sweet!

So many things to like.

Label looks "right" and good. Nice to have. It should be printed on wove paper. A close examination with a magnifier and raking light will reveal that the printing just slightly indents the paper. If the printing sits on top of the surface of the paper, someone made it with a later printer.

To nit-pick a bit. I believe the dial is original but the paint redone. As is often the case, they just don't get the signature right. Should look more like this:

View attachment 727745 View attachment 727746

By the way, Charles Parsons' book on NH clocks has a nice section on the Boscawen mirrors.

RM
Thanks, RM. I'm on the hunt for Parsons book, but the going rate appears to be $300--I'll keep hunting until I can do better. (Actually, getting the book, after the clock, is kind of backwards. It would probably help when I find the next NH mirror clock.)

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member
Nov 26, 2009
Country
Thanks, RM. I'm on the hunt for Parsons book, but the going rate appears to be $300--I'll keep hunting until I can do better. (Actually, getting the book, after the clock, is kind of backwards. It would probably help when I find the next NH mirror clock.)
Is the book really that expensive?? I have had my copy for years. Guess I need to treat it with more respect. No longer to be left in the "john"!

RM

Jim DuBois

Gibbs Literary Award
NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2008
Magnolia, TX
Country
Region
Love New Hampshire mirror clocks. We lived in Salsbury Heights, NH for a few years, 7 miles from Boscawen. Drove by the old location of Morrill's shop almost daily. Unfortunately, all that is there today is a 1950s concrete block walled building. I did pick up a mirror clock in Andover just up the road a few miles while there. But none locally in Boscowan or Salsbury. Did locate a previously unidentified tower clock in Salsbury Heights church. I thought
Scan0024.JPG
it was a Morrill, but a later visit by Donn Haven Lathrop found it to be someone else's. A very unusual tower clock, it is in the updated version of Shelly's tower clock book.

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member
Nov 26, 2009
Country
Love New Hampshire mirror clocks. We lived in Salsbury Heights, NH for a few years, 7 miles from Boscawen. Drove by the old location of Morrill's shop almost daily. Unfortunately, all that is there today is a 1950s concrete block walled building. I did pick up a mirror clock in Andover just up the road a few miles while there. But none locally in Boscowan or Salsbury. Did locate a previously unidentified tower clock in Salsbury Heights church. I thought View attachment 727885 it was a Morrill, but a later visit by Donn Haven Lathrop found it to be someone else's. A very unusual tower clock, it is in the updated version of Shelly's tower clock book.
That crest is "funky".

Reminds me of the Jerome Jester top?

RM

Teach

NAWCC Member
Mar 24, 2011
Very nice! I passed on one like this many years ago and still regret it. I do have a Henry Ford Museum copy/repro. that captures the overall feel, but the two are obviously apples and oranges.

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member
Nov 26, 2009
Country
Sweet!

So many things to like.

View attachment 727745 View attachment 727746

RM
That's "laser printer" which I guess is a later printer. Damn spell check.

RM

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dlfuller
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Ptolemy's Course of the Planets displayed by CLockwork by Tom McIntyre