New Forum --

Discussion in 'Wood Movement Clocks' started by zepernick, Mar 30, 2011.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. zepernick

zepernick Deceased

Aug 8, 2004
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Peter --

So have previous threads with anything wood/wooden in them been moved to this section? Copied to this one? Or?

Zepernick

2. Peter A. Nunes

Peter A. Nunes Moderator
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member Sponsor

Mar 3, 2006
    Male
    Restorer of antique clocks.
    Rhode Island
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Yes, Steve Thornberry is moving salient threads to this forum to get it started.

3. zepernick

zepernick Deceased

Aug 8, 2004
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Are you asking those who posted the material elsewhere before this forum was established if they agree to being moved?

4. John Webb

John Webb Registered User

Mar 23, 2006
    Real Estate Broker/Farm Management
    Blue Ridge Mountains Virginia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Bookmarks are left in the same places in the prior forums so the threads may be accessed from both places.

5. Peter A. Nunes

Peter A. Nunes Moderator
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member Sponsor

Mar 3, 2006
    Male
    Restorer of antique clocks.
    Rhode Island
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Not as far as I know. Steve will no doubt respond.

6. harold bain

harold bain Registered User
    NAWCC Member Deceased

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    deceased
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Zep, I don't think it occurred to us that members who had posted information about wood works clocks would object to their contributions being moved to a new forum about wood works clocks.
    I know when the Clock Case Restoration forum was started, I moved a good many threads from the clock repair forum to the new one, if they were specifically about case restoration and repair. Same with the Reverse Glass and Dial Painting forum.
    About the only difference will be to those who search the archives manually, or forum specific searches.
    If anything, it should make information about wood movements easier to find, having it in one forum.

7. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    I have been leaving 30-day re-directs in the original forums. Remember, too, that many of these threads are long dormant, some so old that they are well nigh inconsequential. The shelf life of an particular thread is most likely not to exceed 30 days. I make exceptions for such threads as are included in the sticky at the top of the Clocks forum, which are meant to be "Tuck Everlasting"-like.

Of course, the movement of a great number of threads does affect the count of threads and posts in an affected forum, possibly causing the bean counters enormous pain. But remember, the Latin for bean is "faba, " so such such statistics are just fabarications - torture then enough and they'll confess to anything.:m

I've said my piece. Should I stop this moving experience? Have I salted the mine sufficiently?

8. zepernick

zepernick Deceased

Aug 8, 2004
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thank you for the reply, Steven.

9. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    It occurred to me that I could post stickies in Clocks and New Clock Acquisitions mentioning the new forum and informing thta many threads have been moved. This will put the OP of the affected threads in the loop. The moving is similar to moving a PW thread out of the Clocks forum to the proper PW forum. All that is needed is a PM to the OP. In these instances, the sticky should serve as a mass PM.

10. harold bain

harold bain Registered User
    NAWCC Member Deceased

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    deceased
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Good idea, Steven. And great job moving threads. I've been busy in the shop today, and we may have tripped over each other if both of us were moving threads at the same time. :thumb:

11. Mike306p/Ansoniaman

Mike306p/Ansoniaman Registered User

Jan 12, 2001
    Recently retired Police Officer 40 years
    Colorado Springs, CO.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Noticed it up and running right away . Good Job. Mike