New Dufa Acquisition

Discussion in 'Your Newest Clock Acquisition' started by George Nelson, Mar 15, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new home of the NAWCC Message Board
    We are glad to see you have found us Guest. If you like what you find here, please let your friends know about us.
  1. George Nelson

George Nelson Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Good evening, Clock Collecting Friends!

My latest acquisition is, I suspect, special only in that it was given to me by a very kind friend, who was quite excited for me to have it. My friend was apologetic as he reported that it had not worked in years. I graciously accepted it, of course! :smile:

Upon examination, it initially appeared to be a shelf clock, unusual in both the strange case proportions and the fact that it was a time only specimen. Most German clocks I have encountered are strike models, usually with marvelous sounding chimes.

In looking at the movement, all that was wrong was that the suspension spring needed to be replaced. Once accomplished, she took off like a bat-out-of-heck and is keeping perfect time! I'll only let her run for a day or two, as the movement needs a complete tear-down and cleaning.

Anyway, upon closer examination, the clock turned out to be a wall model, with whatever was originally at the bottom now missing. The biggest clue was that there were wall stabilizers installed, and, when opened, the clock really wanted to fall forward. Additionally, there was a wall hanging bracket screwed to the back, all clues I missed when I first accepted it.

I did a bit of research on Dufa, and found almost all of the information I was looking for.

But, here are my remaining questions:

I can date it (I believe) to 1920-1926. Am I correct?

Does anyone have any idea as to what the missing bottom piece would have looked like? A catalog picture would be so much appreciated!

Were many of these type of clocks time only? This is the first that I have seen.

Thanks to all for any help!

George Nelson

Attached Files: Download all post attachments

2. harold bain

harold bain Forums Administrator
    NAWCC Member Donor

Nov 4, 2002
    Interesting clock, George. Looks kind of like the top of a grandfather clock from the 1920-30's. The pendulum leader appears to be a Gustav Becker product.

3. George Nelson

George Nelson Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Hi, Harold and All,

So, Harold, if the leader is indeed a Becker product, does this mean that the clock is from the time period when Dufa was acquired by Becker? What time frame would that fact put the clock in?

George