New Columbus Pocket Watch 6s

J. Graham

NAWCC Member
Mar 25, 2018
Country
Region
Limited info on this watch too. Anyone want to chime in? Case is “Imperial” stamped 14K but it’s plated or gold filled, both case and Movement in decent shape. Not terribly valuable but i liked it :)

Thanks for viewing…Michelle

DA2EDBC8-ECAB-4E0D-82D5-2F9D13156AFE.jpeg B6B6C373-734F-4147-B12C-201D7724AA56.jpeg 4B1D07D9-3557-4CB3-8122-A8E1531DA775.jpeg 4D241E99-62A2-46EA-B13C-745A95C4EAA3.jpeg

4thdimension

NAWCC Member
Oct 18, 2001
Country
Region
“Not terribly valuable”, still much less common than similar watches from the big companies (Waltham,Elgin, Illinois etc.) Its a nice little watch.-Cort

J. Graham

NAWCC Member
Mar 25, 2018
Country
Region
“Not terribly valuable”, still much less common than similar watches from the big companies (Waltham,Elgin, Illinois etc.) Its a nice little watch.-Cort
Thank you Cort! I liked it, case is really nice not all messed up like a lot of them…I appreciate the reply

Reactions: 4thdimension

J. Graham

NAWCC Member
Mar 25, 2018
Country
Region
So could someone tell me about the New Columbus watch CO.? I assume it was bought out. The plate looks identical to other watches from the Columbus except it is engraved "New". I have searched but a lot of links are broken. I understand the serial numbers for this are not accurate …any info would be appreciated…thanks

Kent

Gibbs Literary Award
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Silver Member
Aug 26, 2000
Country
Hi Michelle:

You may find the Columbus Watch Co. Encyclopedia article helpful.

Page 361 of the 1897 Lapp & Flershem Twenty-first Annual Illustrated Catalogue (below) lists some 6-size grades. Since it lacks an upper center jewel, I'm guessing that its a grade No. 101; 11-jewel movement.

Unfortunately, many of the links in our Encyclopedia articles were disrupted when we changed to the current version of our Message Board and its been a long process getting them all reinstated. So, if you come across a broken link and want to see what it led to, just let us know and we'll try and post it.

Please feel free to ask about anything that isn't clear to you.

Good luck,

1897_L&F_Pg_361_New_Columbus_&_Paillard_Watches.jpg

Reactions: J. Graham

J. Graham

NAWCC Member
Mar 25, 2018
Country
Region
Thank you Kent, so New Columbus was taken over? Do we know the year and by whom?

Kent

Gibbs Literary Award
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Silver Member
Aug 26, 2000
Country
As it says in the linked-to encyclopedia article (in my earlier post), "This firm lasted until 1903 when it was purchased by some of the Studebaker brothers (those not engaged in the wagon and automobile business). The company was then moved to South Bend, Indiana to become the South Bend Watch Co."

J. Graham

NAWCC Member
Mar 25, 2018
Country
Region
As it says in the linked-to encyclopedia article (in my earlier post), "This firm lasted until 1903 when it was purchased by some of the Studebaker brothers (those not engaged in the wagon and automobile business). The company was then moved to South Bend, Indiana to become the South Bend Watch Co."
Ok, thanks again I missed that

J. Graham

NAWCC Member
Mar 25, 2018
Country
Region
Ok, thanks again I missed that
I had some more time and reread it all. Can I then assume that New Columbus continued make the watches before it became South Bend? Or did south Bend continue to use the parts from New Columbus….not trying to be a pain I’m just curious. Also I took the movement down again and recleaned it as it wasn’t working very well. It’s spot on now.

Lee Passarella

NAWCC Member
Jul 8, 2015
Country
Region
The Complete Price Guide to Watches notes, "The machinery, unfinished movements, and parts and approximately 3/4 of the 150 employees moved to South Bend, Indiana. Some marked Columbus Watch Co. movements were finished by the South Bend W. Co. Examples exist of dials made in the South Bend style and movements marked Columbus Watch Co."

J. Graham

NAWCC Member
Mar 25, 2018
Country
Region
The Complete Price Guide to Watches notes, "The machinery, unfinished movements, and parts and approximately 3/4 of the 150 employees moved to South Bend, Indiana. Some marked Columbus Watch Co. movements were finished by the South Bend W. Co. Examples exist of dials made in the South Bend style and movements marked Columbus Watch Co."
Ahh ok, so now I have a better handle on the watch! Thanks guys! I appreciate all the info. It’s a cute little watch and I’m happy with it :)

Reactions: musicguy

Kent

Gibbs Literary Award
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Silver Member
Aug 26, 2000
Country
... Can I then assume that New Columbus continued make the watches before it became South Bend? Or did south Bend continue to use the parts from New Columbus ...
I think I read that South Bend used up New Columbus material. Perhaps somebody else knows.

Steven Thornberry

User Administrator
Staff member
NAWCC Member
Jan 15, 2004
Here and there
Country
Some marked Columbus Watch Co. movements were finished by the South Bend W. Co. Examples exist of dials made in the South Bend style and movements marked Columbus Watch Co."
Not unlike what we see after the Sessions Clock Co. took over the EN Welch Mfr. Co. in 1903.

thesnark17

NAWCC Member
Jul 11, 2020
Country
Region
Jewel settings on Columbus watches are a pretty reliable indication of a high jewel count. Despite the catalog shown (which suggests that if the center isn't jeweled, that it's 11 jewels), I would be a little surprised if this watch doesn't turn out to have 15 jewels. (I have a identical New Columbus orphan movement that certainly does have 15.)

I suspect that the reason for watches like mine is that New Columbus was using up Columbus material (just as South Bend would use up New Columbus material later).

Last edited:

J. Graham

NAWCC Member
Mar 25, 2018
Country
Region
Jewel settings on Columbus watches are a pretty reliable indication of a high jewel count. Despite the catalog shown (which suggests that if the center isn't jeweled, that it's 11 jewels), I would be a little surprised if this watch doesn't turn out to have 15 jewels. (I have a identical New Columbus orphan movement that certainly does have 15.)

I suspect that the reason for watches like mine is that New Columbus was using up Columbus material (just as South Bend would use up New Columbus material later).
No it is indeed 11 jewels

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ellaurin
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-