New Clock Tower going up!

Discussion in 'Tower, Monumental & Street Clocks' started by C Anthony, Jul 6, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. C Anthony

C Anthony Registered User

Apr 13, 2014
    Manager, Retail Flower Shop and Greenhouses
    Charles City, IA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Clock towers once graced many courthouses, churches and public buildings around the country. It seemed that as we passed from the Victorian era into a more modern time many of those grand towers were removed. So today I think is quite the occasion that a clock tower is being placed on a building. McQuillen Place in Charles City, Iowa is a new building group being constructed in our historic downtown. Modern tools and methods are being used in this three story construction, but its final appearance will resemble that from another era, including this great clock tower. It was being hoisted into position this morning atop the building at the corner of Main Street and Clark Street in downtown. Thought I'd share this with all here.....[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Robert Gift likes this.
  2. Les harland

Les harland Registered User

Apr 10, 2008
    Male
    Hertfordshire England
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It looks great
    Is it a working clock?

3. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Country Flag:
    I have moved this to the Tower, Monumental, and Street Clocks forum.

4. bruce linde

bruce linde Technical Admin
    NAWCC Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    i saw this post and went into rockford files mode and started playing detective... resulting in a phone call just now with one of the three thompson brothers (charley) developing the project. he said the clock is not on yet (as of thursday morning 7/7/17) but they were told to set it to 6pm and fire it up then.

he said he would send me info about the clock to post here, that the building is named after their grandfather, and that there's a weather vane that will go on top that was made by said grand-dad.

i told him about us, and he was glad we're helping preserve history, as 'we live in a disposable world'.

nice guy, will post more when i receive it from him.

5. C Anthony

C Anthony Registered User

Apr 13, 2014
    Manager, Retail Flower Shop and Greenhouses
    Charles City, IA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I could have given you Charley's number. I am friends with him. This is a great revitalization project for our town. I spoke with him on one occasion about the clock, and he was going to get me some information as well. Hopefully one of us can find some additional information to share.

6. bruce linde

bruce linde Technical Admin
    NAWCC Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    doh! :cool:

i should have known you were local.

it was very nice of him to call me back. i told him about the nawcc and explained that this kind of stuff made us tick... so to speak.

will certainly let you know if/when he emails.