Chronometry: New "Chronometer Resources" sticky thread

Discussion in 'Chronometers' started by Luis Casillas, Feb 1, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Luis Casillas

Luis Casillas Registered User

Oct 16, 2012
    Software
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi everybody,

As you may have noticed, I've started a sticky thread to collect useful resources about chronometers. As of now I've started to populate it with two things:
    1. A very basic bibliography.
    2. Links to online resources—with an emphasis on collections of digitized primary sources.
    Please let me know of any recommendations that you may have for the sticky thread—either items to add to the existing sections or wholly new sections that might be of interest.

2. doug sinclair

doug sinclair Registered User

Aug 27, 2000
    Calgary, Alberta
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #2 doug sinclair, Feb 1, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2016
    Luis,

A useful sticky to be sure. It might be useful to add the ISBN number to each book listed as an aid to a reader who wishes to source a book for their own library. I have a suggestion that might be a useful title to include. I have many of those books, and if you need the ISBN number(s), I can send them if you wish. Just let me know. Here is my suggestion.

Time Restored: The Harrison Timekeepers and R T Gould, the man who knew (almost) everything. Author Johnathan Betts. ISBN 10: 0-19-856802-9 and ISBN-13: 978-0-19-856802-5. (Why two ISBN numbers? No idea!)

image.jpeg

3. Jerry Freedman

Jerry Freedman Registered User
    NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Member

Sep 16, 2000
    Are there any records of trials prior to 1840?

4. Luis Casillas

Oct 16, 2012
    Software
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Yes, that's a great idea, thanks!

I was confused by the ISBN-10 vs. ISBN-13 issue as well, and found this web page explaining it. My interpretation of this is to use ISBN-13 preferentially.

I've added Betts' book to the list. Which reminds me I need to finish reading it...

There was a series of "premium trials" (name used) between 1821 and 1835 (give or take a year). The records for those were certainly published in print form. I think I may have seen digitized copies of one or two of them online, but I haven't found a web site like that one that has collected them all in one place like the one in the sticky does for 1840-1914. I haven't tried super-hard to locate them either, though.

5. Luis Casillas

Oct 16, 2012
    Software
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #5 Luis Casillas, Feb 3, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2016
    I've received a number of additions to the books list over PM, and now I need to raise one point for discussion and guidance. When I wrote my first version of the list, I was thinking of making only a list of very basic, introductory references. As I say in the sticky:

But I'm changing my mind on that—I've split the list into two sections, one for "basic" books and one for "other" books. I'm not convinced I have the split correct at the moment, so feedback is welcome.

Also, I've added a number of direct links to some of the more interesting Board of Longitude digitized materials.

6. Paul Regan

Paul Regan Registered User

Mar 4, 2003
    Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    This is really good stuff Luis! Thanks for your efforts.
    Paul