New Changes To The New Changes At eBay?

Luca

Jan 19, 2004
Here is the latest news from eBay 8/21/08 and as a seller I am not happy about some of it:

Checks and money orders no longer allowed: Beginning in late October, we will no long allow checks or money orders as payment methods on eBay.

Limits on shipping and handling charges for some categories: Starting in October, limits on shipping and handling charges will be in effect for select categories. These maximums apply to the first flat-rate shipping service within or into the U.S.

New seller standards: Minimum 4.3 on all DSRs: The vast majority of eBay sellers—some 96%—are well above this threshold.

Here is a link to all of it: eBay changes

As someone who sometimes sells expensive watches/movements I love it when someone pays with a money order or check --- I don't get charged the PayPal fees. Guess that's over.

New shipping policy means they are trying to fit everyone in same box and with some big ticket items with volatile prices it is hard to come up with a prior shipping charge (due to insurance). Also there is a lot of 'junk' being sold in the watches category and these items are skewing the average shipping costs. There is no relationship to what I sell and what I charge for shipping yet eBay could presumably penalize me or remove listings because my shipping charges don't fit their profile.

There really, really needs to be an alternative to this monopolistic enterprise - unfortunately there are myriad little start up auction sites and folks aren't gravitating toward one in particular which means none are really likely to take the place of eBay - shame!

Luca

Andy Dervan

Gibbs Literary Award
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Member
Oct 23, 2002
Country
Region
Hello Tony and Luca,

Thank you for the heads up about ebay changes I dislike most of them; I just purchased a cheap pocketwatch and did not know seller accepted on paypal payment. I registered for paypal and tried 2 different ways to pay for it by Paypal and all I received was error messages. It was not a good experience.

I suspect that I will continue to look, but my bidding will end. I think this will anger many sellers.... Andy

richiec

NAWCC Member
Feb 24, 2007
Brick, Ocean, NJ
Country
Region
I am only a buyer at this time on ebay but I think making everyone pay by paypal, etc is a big mistake. I know that if I was selling, a money order would be much better than a credit card payment anyday. I had a gas station a few years back and the oil company would take out 4% on every credit card purchase and then want you to sell for a penny over cost and sell fuel for the same price cash or credit. Sounds like ebay is trying the same thing to increase buying traffic but in the long run making life difficult for the retailers.

itbme1987

May 18, 2008
NY
Country
Region
i think its dumb how they kinda nudge you into getting paypal for selling....least they did with me when i decided to sell, and i dont think its right for them to control shipping either...i mean have you ever had to buy a box at UPS...i nearly had to to ship an OGEE case and they wanted $11.00 something...FOR JUST A BOX!!!, luckally one happened to come to me

Jeremy Woodoff

NAWCC Member
Jun 30, 2002
Brooklyn
Country
Region
I just read that eBay's sales went up "only" 8% last quarter, and that was considered a poor showing. That's the problem when companies go public--the shareholders expect constant growth, and the only way to do that is to raise prices or increase sales. eBay feels the best way to do that is with non-auction (buy-it-now) sales, where all aspects are more controlled--like amazon.com. The one-of-a-kind buyers and sellers that started eBay are not viewed as a good source for this growth, even though they would make a perfectly viable business base if it weren't for the company's need for constant growth. Here is a link to a recent NY Times article on this:

Click Here

Jeremy

Luca

Jan 19, 2004
Jeremy,
Thanks for the link. You're right about it becoming more of a set price 'shopping mall'.

Luca

Chris Radano

Feb 18, 2004
Pennsylvania
Country
Region
Does anyone like buying clocks with a "buy it now"? I was lucky enough to find a couple clocks sold with buy it now- by people selling way under market value. I am not a gambler by nature, and I thank dumb luck for these finds. But not expected to find any more like that. This is besides the point- If you're like me, buy it now has no appeal when it come to antique clocks.

I agree with Jeremy; big business ruins everything. I certainly expected ebay to turn into this. Looks like the time is arriving. The changes being implemented since the former CEO retired.

I have bought many good clocks using ebay. Maybe time to put more effort into organizing/cataloging my collection, instead of buying/selling on ebay. I expect to use ebay less and less as time goes forward.

Weight Driven

NAWCC Member
May 24, 2004
Country
I posted in the clocks section but will repeat here. This new ebay/paypal thing is going to hurt sellers, or certainly make them more anxious. As a seller for 7 years, I have accepted money orders and checks with only one bounced check, which was corrected within a couple of days. With nothing but paypal, all a buyer would have to do is claim he did not recieve the clock/watch, or say it was damaged, or anything, and of course paypal will side with him and I am out the money, watch/clock and everything else. I do accept Paypal but do so infrequently because of this reason and the extra fees. This is all about money and everyone knows it. I would love to go to an alternate auction site but ebay is still really the only site in town. Hopefully, this absurd ruling will correct itself before the end of October.

Bob W.

Jun 24, 2003
I've alwayd been an eBay fan. But now, they're crossing the line into the milieu of private payment terms between the parties....a place eBay has no business being, in my view.

I'm not sure how they'll manage to enforce the "no checks or money order" rule, but it reeks of self-dealing (Paypal) and creates other issues that gum up the works in a "free" marketplace.

By and large, disappointing developments indeed.

BOB

fixoclox

NAWCC Member
Apr 4, 2007
East Rockaway ,NY
fixoclox.net
Country
Bob said:
I've alwayd been an eBay fan. But now, they're crossing the line into the milieu of private payment terms between the parties....a place eBay has no business being, in my view.

I'm not sure how they'll manage to enforce the "no checks or money order" rule, but it reeks of self-dealing (Paypal) and creates other issues that gum up the works in a "free" marketplace.

By and large, disappointing developments indeed.

BOB
They are getting worse than our government. This still is America and people should have choices and not be dictated to. This is also bad for the collectors more sellers are just dropping out. I have tried other auction sites but they have 0 traffic compaired to e bay. On a positive note when October rolls around I do believe you do not have to use pay pal. I dislike pay pal as a seller because it is part of e bay. They just want you to use an online payment service. Time will tell as in all things Cheers bill@fixoclox

Kevin W.

NAWCC Member
Apr 11, 2002
Nepean, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
I have seen some good buys on clocks, on the buy it now.
it must just be a grab for money if they want paypal to be the means of payment. And how to enforce it will be another thing, i am getting to dislike Ebay more, they say they will help sellers but they are really helping them selves. As usual it is greed for the buck.

Scottie-TX

Deceased
Apr 6, 2004
Mesquite, TX
Country
Region
I like PayPal. I like it both buying and selling. However. I don't ride a motorcycle. But if I did, I'd wear a helmet without being mandated. Likewise, buyers and sellers should not be mandated to use PayPal.
Policing it? If an item was sold and paid for in any other way than PayPal - it would appear to eBay as a sold item that was unpaid . That would send up the red flag.

eclecticbeat

Jul 13, 2007
39°59'1"N 75°48'60"W
Country
Region
Police it? :bang:

People seem to be missing the big picture. This is eBay - they don't need no stinkin' badges. There's nothing to stop them from taking their cut whether the item was paid for or not once this policy goes through. So it will be up to you to get your money back if it wasn't. Paypal is in as much trouble as some banks today. Why wait for a gov't bail out when they can grab your cash right now?

Tom McIntyre

Technical Admin
Staff member
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Ruby Member
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2000
Boston
awco.org
Country
Region
I feel more and more like the NAWCC should be exploring its own auction site to go along with the eMart.

Fundamentally, eBay is outgrowing the whole collectibles marketplace and watches and clocks in particular.

Publicly traded companies have to sustain their growth rate to keep up their stock value. Ebay is in the process of moving to commodity market sales.

Scottie-TX

Deceased
Apr 6, 2004
Mesquite, TX
Country
Region
How could I not agree with you? I can even forsee that it could be a profitable venture for NAWCC, that they could pump back into the org. and both expand the org. and pass on the profits to members in terms of more services and perhaps even lower cost membership. Who would not prefer to buy a clock from an NAWCC member? No guarantee, I know, but certainly higher probability of an honest reputable seller.

Luca

Jan 19, 2004
I'm all for Tom's idea. Run with it Tom...get a petition started!:thumb:

Seriously - it sounds good. My guess is the NAWCC wouldn't want to get mixed up in the things that create headaches for eBay/PayPal like fraud, claims...anything with potential liability. I don't think it's an organization that will really stick it's neck out and think outside the box.

L

harold bain

NAWCC Member
Deceased
Nov 4, 2002
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Luca said:
I'm all for Tom's idea. Run with it Tom...get a petition started!:thumb:

Seriously - it sounds good. My guess is the NAWCC wouldn't want to get mixed up in the things that create headaches for eBay/PayPal like fraud, claims...anything with potential liability. I don't think it's an organization that will really stick it's neck out and think outside the box.

L
I don't see an auction being any more prone to fraud and liability claims than the mart and emart. Have there ever been any problems with these venues?

Robert Ling

Apr 17, 2002
SoCal.
Country
Region
Tom said:
I feel more and more like the NAWCC should be exploring its own auction site to go along with the eMart.

Fundamentally, eBay is outgrowing the whole collectibles marketplace and watches and clocks in particular.

Publicly traded companies have to sustain their growth rate to keep up their stock value. Ebay is in the process of moving to commodity market sales.

On another site I visit for cars, they run auctions all the time, but mostly to raise money for the site or ?
They just put up a sticky for a certain amout of time and people say what they will pay for an item that's been donated. Because it's a donation they attract some pretty good bids.

Some thoughts.

I think it would be worth a go to try auctions right here. A problem might be having enough traffic, bidders ?

The auctions would probably need to be run for extended lenths of time to get the most exsposure. Or, you could have a preview time period before the auction starts, and a shorter actual auction time to keep the bidders interested.

This has the potential of attracting new members, if membership was required to bid ?

A few simple test auctions could be tried to see how they are received ?

Bob

Luca

Jan 19, 2004
I have to admit I don't have experience with the mart or emart. I forgot about those as setting a precedence --- perhaps it could get done. I'm sure there are auction software packages out there to choose from and the folks experienced in setting up the emart and the board perhaps could get it going. Open to all? Or just members?

L

Tom McIntyre

Technical Admin
Staff member
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Ruby Member
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2000
Boston
awco.org
Country
Region
My working model has been that it would only allow members to sell, but would be open to all bidders unless the seller wanted to restrict sales to members.

The member's code of conduct would apply as it currently does to Mart and eMart sales.

If we wanted to, we could also have an optional vetting service that sellers could use to ensure the authenticity of whatever they were selling. That system is used at the major antique sales in larger cities with vetted items designated by a blue ribbon or other decoration.

Robert Ling

Apr 17, 2002
SoCal.
Country
Region
Allowing non members to bid would generate more traffic, and bids.

How would " Vetting " work ?

Tom McIntyre

Technical Admin
Staff member
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Ruby Member
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2000
Boston
awco.org
Country
Region
In on-site sales, a committee of experts, whose names are published, examines each piece and generates a consensus opinion on its authenticity.

A variation on that would be to have a committee examine the claims in an auction ad and pictures of the item and give an opinion as to the accuracy of the description and the authenticity of the item. Vetting could not be as rigorous as it is in the big shows, but it would be much, much better than what currently goes on in eBay ads.

Given the volatile personalities we have available from which to select our experts, it would take a lot of work to get a committee that was considered qualified by a super majority of our members (perhaps 75%+).

The APS has a system of "Expertizing" that determines the authenticity of stamps, but of course, they have the stamps to examine. Similar services exist for grading coins, but once again, the item is available for examination.

I would think we might come up with something that had value even if it were not rigorous. i.e. 10 experts have examined the text and pictures and determined that it is either outright fraud or very likely authentic. They would inform the seller if the opinion of the committee on condition differed substantially from that stated in the ad. The seller would pay in advance for the service and either accept or reject the result. If he rejected the result, the item could not be listed as vetted.

AllThumbz

Feb 24, 2007
Queens, New York
www.Hobby-Machinist.com
Country
Region
Tom said:

I promised myself I would never post on here again, but this is too important to let pass.

Funny thing. I proposed this to Ray Fanchamps and others a LOOONG time ago (NAWCC auction site) but because ya'all hate me, the idea was scrapped. Now here it is again coming from you, and everyone thinks it is a great idea.

I even suggested the software to use to Ray- it would cost only $100 to set up- well worth a shot. Needless to say, I never got a response. Just like my offer to moderate- I was told "you're a bad guy Nelson, so no thanks".

That's politics, folks.

Nelson

Toolhi

Jan 29, 2008
Haven't read all the posts on this thread, so excuse me if I'm repeating someone elses post. Since Ebay is getting more and more onerous to use, an alternate auction site seems like a good idea. Unfortunately, I don't know of any other auction sites that appear useful. Would other posters be willing to list decent auction sites within this thread?

Kevin W.

NAWCC Member
Apr 11, 2002
Nepean, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Hi Nelson good to see you back.:thumb:

Our 2021 National Meeting in Hampton Roads Virginia
Topic related ad experiment
Know Your NAWCC Forums Rules!
RULES & GUIDELINES

Find member