New Bio of Lt. Cmndr. R.T. Gould

Bill Ward

NAWCC Member
Jan 8, 2003
USA
Jonathan Betts will be releasing a new biography of Lt. Commander Rupert T. Gould in June of 2006, published by Oxford University Press. Gould, of course, is known in horological circles for his work on Harrison's timekeepers, but few today realize that he was a famous polymath in the early 20thC, and a member of the BBC's "Brain Trust", a group of geniuses who would answer any question, on any subject, live on the radio. I've heard some of these programs, and can attest that the extent of these people's erudition is jaw-dropping. Details of the book can be found at the unwieldy URL:
http://www.oup.com/us/catalog/general/subject/Physics/~...YSZjaT0wMTk4NTY4MDI5

Fortunat Mueller-Maerki

National Library Chair
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Life Member
NAWCC Member
Aug 25, 2000
Sussex New Jersey USA
www.hsn161.com
Country
Region
Readers of this book -when published- are in for a treat. I had the opportunity to review an early draft of the text. An absolutly fascinating story and, of course, Jonathan Betts knows Goulds life and achievements like nobody else.

Fortunat

eskmill

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Aug 24, 2000
Region
The referenced book, "Time Restored" by Jonithan Betts was under my Christmas tree this year.

It's absolutely one of the most carefully researched biographies I've browsed.

'Haven't put it down since opening the cover.

A great book side-by-side on my shelf next to "The Marine Chronometer - Its History and Development."

Thanks for the recommendation.

Les Lesovsky in Alhambra, CA

RON in PA

NAWCC Member
May 18, 2005
S.E. PA
Country
Region
Noticed this book today (12/28) in the new book section of the NAWCC library. Don't know if they have any circulating copies.

Fortunat Mueller-Maerki

National Library Chair
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Life Member
NAWCC Member
Aug 25, 2000
Sussex New Jersey USA
www.hsn161.com
Country
Region
The Library at the National Watch and Clock Museum in Columbia does have a circulating copy for NAWCC members.

I am currently writing a bookreview on this book for the Bulletin and hope to post it on this message board with the week.

Dr. Jon

NAWCC Member
Dec 14, 2001
New Hampshire
Country
Region
I have the book and have read it. I am a pretty committed fan of Harrison and Gould but I found th e book painful and a lot more information than I really needed.

I think his divorce and the issues involved are better left buried.

On the plus side its is somewhat encouraging to read of Gould's problems in the restoration. Any of us who have broken of lost items while trying a repair will take heart from all of Gould's problems.

I think the book could have been half its length and not lost much. I would have preferred more emphasis on the Harrison restorations and less on the details of Gould's mental state.

I look forward fo a more comprehensive review by horology

Modersohn

Nov 15, 2003
Is it possible to order library books online, or do you have to mail the order?

I may be cautiously more favorably inclined to the new software if it would provide for online library book requests (using a credit card).

Any chance of that? That really would revive my interest in Nawcc tremendously.

Modersohn

Tom McIntyre

Technical Admin
Staff member
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Ruby Member
Donor
Aug 24, 2000
Boston
awco.org
Country
Region
Mo,

The current software we are using for the library is passing out of support and we will be looking to replace it.

It is one of my goals to try to find appropriate software to provide the capabilities we currently have and add additional features such as on-line checkout using a credit card. We would still need to be able to validate membership for such a system to work. The key to all on-line member services is validation of member accounts on-line.

zepernick

Deceased
Aug 8, 2004
Country
Region
Hello Modersohn:

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Any chance of that? That really would revive my interest in Nawcc tremendously.
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Are you saying -- did you mean to say -- that having to order books by mail-mail has harmed your interest in the NAWCC?

I'd not be flabbergasted if you did mean this, but at least gasted.

Regards to all,
Doug

Tom McIntyre

Technical Admin
Staff member
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Ruby Member
Donor
Aug 24, 2000
Boston
awco.org
Country
Region
Duck,

Mo's feelings are probably like mine. If I fill a bookbag with entries and then narrow it down to what I can borrow, it is a real pain to go get a piece of paper and transcribe the information. :frown:

I rarely use paper for any purpose these days. Fortunately I have a wife who is still paper oriented, so I am not completely crippled. :biggrin:

Modersohn

Nov 15, 2003
It is shocking that having to fill out a form, find a stamp and envelope and remember to mail it would put such a damper on my library borrowings.

However, sadly, there is some truth to it.

Maybe it's time for one of those New Year's Resolutions.

Modersohn

Fortunat Mueller-Maerki

National Library Chair
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Life Member
NAWCC Member
Aug 25, 2000
Sussex New Jersey USA
www.hsn161.com
Country
Region
I just posted my formal bookreview that will be submitted to the NAWCC Bulletin of the new Gould bio as a seperate thread on "Horological books"

kirklox

Dec 17, 2002
Originally posted by Tom McIntyre:
Mo,

The current software we are using for the library is passing out of support and we will be looking to replace it.

It is one of my goals to try to find appropriate software to provide the capabilities we currently have and add additional features such as on-line checkout using a credit card. We would still need to be able to validate membership for such a system to work. The key to all on-line member services is validation of member accounts on-line.
You would have found that the programming that my company (IWDCO) has developed would have provided that interface that you are looking for. It is an easy to use DB system that would allow all the library books to be listed and have the necessary tools to check them out into a Shopping Cart for Credit Card payment. The nice thing was that it was designed to fit your cataloging system.

There was a lot more to it than just this, but that must be kept confidential.

Last edited by a moderator: