New Atmos clock owner!

Discussion in '400-Day & Atmos' started by PHILIP ZLOTORYNSKI, Jan 7, 2020.

Tags:
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. PHILIP ZLOTORYNSKI

PHILIP ZLOTORYNSKI Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 7, 2020
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Hi all, this is my first post on these forums. I'm the proud new owner of a vintage 1950s "Baby" Atmos clock 526-5. Very excited to be part of the group! Does anyone have experience sending their Atmos to Jaeger for service, or is there a better option when/if that's needed?

Thanks!

2. KurtinSA

KurtinSA Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 24, 2014
    Aerospace Engineer (Ret.)
    San Antonio, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Welcome to the message board! If you have the chance to post a picture, we'd sure like to see it. Knowing the serial number also will help narrowing the manufacture date of the clock.

Does the clock run or are you just wanting to get a "freshening" of the clock?

Kurt

3. PHILIP ZLOTORYNSKI

PHILIP ZLOTORYNSKI Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 7, 2020
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Picture attached. Serial number is 94172. It runs great and the seller says it was recently serviced. I'm just curious about repair/service resources if that becomes necessary down the road (I live in earthquake country so you never know when it might get kicked around).

Clipboard01.jpg

4. KurtinSA

KurtinSA Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 24, 2014
    Aerospace Engineer (Ret.)
    San Antonio, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    You can sit back and enjoy it for now! Looks like the dating puts it in May 1956.

Kurt

5. Ed O'Brien

Ed O'Brien Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Retired, and now full-time clock repairs.
    Winter Park, FL
    Country Flag:
    If, in fact, it was properly serviced, LeCoultre's recommended service interval is every 20 years. Based on the last quote I had from them for service on a working unit, I would have spent close to $1,500 including shipping and insurance.

ChemyBro likes this.
  6. Burkhard Rasch

Burkhard Rasch Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 1, 2007
    Male
    General-and trauma surgeon
    Twistringen
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    there is a guy in Germany offering a full service of an Atmos with 1 year money-back-garanty for ca 300,-€ plus P+P .Besides that I had my Atmos done by him a couple of years ago and still am verry content I don´t have any affiliation with him.PM me if You´re interested.
    Burkhard

7. Wayne A

Wayne A Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 24, 2019
    Male
    Retired, process controll systems
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Congrats on the new clock! Recently acquired a working Atmos myself and did a bit of research on them. Some Atmos repair experts recommend running them until it stops before servicing which is what I'm going to do.

8. Ed O'Brien

Ed O'Brien Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Retired, and now full-time clock repairs.
    Winter Park, FL
    Country Flag:
    As to the cheap service by the guy in Germany, consider: Shipping/insurance cost to and from USA; what if there is need for a warranty repair or correction; does that guy have Atmos experience? Since the Atmos will run just about a year on a manual wind, even with a bad bellows, the one year warranty in inadequate. I provide two year warranty on Atmos service for this reason.

9. Zz-zahnraedchen

Jul 8, 2015
    Working with Atmos clocks of all ages
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #10 Zz-zahnraedchen, Feb 26, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2020
    Hi from Germany!
    I am „the guy“ from Germany, collecting, servicing & refurbishing Atmos clocks. I have been doing that - only Atmos & Reutter clocks - for 25 years now. So my database with Atmos-clocks, where I could identify the year of make starts with a K1 number 414 (obviously refitted with the 30’‘A movement) and ends with a Newson I had to fix just recently from 2016.
    If I can be of any support or there is a contact point needed in Germany, let me know.
    My Homepage is www.atmos-atelier.de
    Best wishes
    Rüdiger

etmb61 likes this.
  10. etmb61

etmb61 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 25, 2010
    Retired Avionics Technician
    Mascoutah, IL
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I'd just like to be in the room with one of those!

Eric

11. John Hubby

John Hubby Senior Administrator Emeritus
    Staff Member NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Life Member

Sep 7, 2000
    The Woodlands, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Rüdiger, welcome to the NAWCC Message Board, and especially to our 400-Day, Atmos, and other Torsion Clock Forum. I also have been collecting data for Atmos clocks for 25 years, since the earliest Reutter examples until the latest "special editions" from Jaeger-LeCoultre. Would like to exchange information with you, as I and my co-author are very close to completing a comprehesive book on the Reutter Atmos. Our oldest Reutter has serial no. 30 with a Cluses movement, made at the beginning of Reutter commercial production in early 1930. It is a model A2 with cast glass case, the glass being orange in color. We have 350 examples documented thus far, and new examples are becoming fewer and fewer.

Again welcome, I trust you will enjoy our forum.

ChemyBro likes this.