New Atmos clock owner!

Discussion in '400-Day & Atmos' started by PHILIP ZLOTORYNSKI, Jan 7, 2020.

Tags:
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. PHILIP ZLOTORYNSKI

PHILIP ZLOTORYNSKI Registered User

Jan 7, 2020
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Hi all, this is my first post on these forums. I'm the proud new owner of a vintage 1950s "Baby" Atmos clock 526-5. Very excited to be part of the group! Does anyone have experience sending their Atmos to Jaeger for service, or is there a better option when/if that's needed?

Thanks!

2. KurtinSA

KurtinSA Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 24, 2014
    Aerospace Engineer (Ret.)
    San Antonio, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Welcome to the message board! If you have the chance to post a picture, we'd sure like to see it. Knowing the serial number also will help narrowing the manufacture date of the clock.

Does the clock run or are you just wanting to get a "freshening" of the clock?

Kurt

3. PHILIP ZLOTORYNSKI

PHILIP ZLOTORYNSKI Registered User

Jan 7, 2020
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Picture attached. Serial number is 94172. It runs great and the seller says it was recently serviced. I'm just curious about repair/service resources if that becomes necessary down the road (I live in earthquake country so you never know when it might get kicked around).

Clipboard01.jpg

4. KurtinSA

KurtinSA Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 24, 2014
    Aerospace Engineer (Ret.)
    San Antonio, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    You can sit back and enjoy it for now! Looks like the dating puts it in May 1956.

Kurt

5. Ed O'Brien

Ed O'Brien Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Retired, and now full-time clock repairs.
    Winter Park, FL
    Country Flag:
    If, in fact, it was properly serviced, LeCoultre's recommended service interval is every 20 years. Based on the last quote I had from them for service on a working unit, I would have spent close to $1,500 including shipping and insurance.

6. Burkhard Rasch

Burkhard Rasch Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 1, 2007
    Male
    General-and trauma surgeon
    Twistringen
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    there is a guy in Germany offering a full service of an Atmos with 1 year money-back-garanty for ca 300,-€ plus P+P .Besides that I had my Atmos done by him a couple of years ago and still am verry content I don´t have any affiliation with him.PM me if You´re interested.
    Burkhard

7. Wayne A

Wayne A Registered User

Sep 24, 2019
    Male
    Retired, process controll systems
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Congrats on the new clock! Recently acquired a working Atmos myself and did a bit of research on them. Some Atmos repair experts recommend running them until it stops before servicing which is what I'm going to do.

8. Ed O'Brien

Ed O'Brien Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Retired, and now full-time clock repairs.
    Winter Park, FL
    Country Flag:
    As to the cheap service by the guy in Germany, consider: Shipping/insurance cost to and from USA; what if there is need for a warranty repair or correction; does that guy have Atmos experience? Since the Atmos will run just about a year on a manual wind, even with a bad bellows, the one year warranty in inadequate. I provide two year warranty on Atmos service for this reason.