New and know nothing

Discussion in 'Wrist Watches' started by KBD, Dec 23, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. KBD

KBD New Member

Dec 23, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    I have a question about a 1980s Lord Elgin, (of little value). I located the serial # which is 955112. The SN comes back to a grade 92 manufactured in the 1880s/1890s. That isn't the watch I have. The wrist watch I have, along with other items, was actually won on The Price is Right, in 1982 or 1983. It is a quartz watch and powered by battery.

2. richiec

richiec Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Male
    automotive warranty inspector
    Brick, Ocean, NJ
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Being that the original Elgin Watch Co was out of business well before then, the serial number is useless except for the Japanese or Chinese company who manufactured it. A picture of the movement may help in identifying it by manufacturer.

3. Chris Radek

Chris Radek Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 13, 2014
    Male
    Watchmaker (now accepting new customers)
    Lincoln, NE, USA
    Country Flag:
  4. glenhead

glenhead Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Telecom Engineer
    Williamson County, Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Most of the rights to use the names of the earlier Big Names In Watches have been bought out. Illinois, Bulova, Elgin, Hamilton, etc etc. As you've seen, the databases deal with the original companies.

The number on the movement isn't a serial number, that's the model of the movement. The 955.112 is made by ETA, one of the more prolific movement manufacturers based in Switzerland. One that old was probably actually made in Switzerland. These days you can pay a premium for a 955.112 that was "assembled" in Switzerland; otherwise they're made - um - elsewhere. Anyway, that's a pretty decent movement. If you're looking to get it running, let's chat.

Glen

PatH likes this.
  5. roughbarked

roughbarked Registered User

Dec 2, 2016
    watchmaker
    Western NSW or just this side of the black stump.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It is a decent movement and it is usually written on the movement; Swiss made or Ass. Swiss Parts.

6. GeneJockey

GeneJockey Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 2, 2012
    Male
    Scientist
    San Francisco Peninsula
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Elgin spent the 1960s collapsing, unable to compete with Timex at one end and the Swiss at the other, and badly managed to boot. They finally became nothing but a name and set of trademarks just about the same time the first quartz watches were introduced.