New and better method for mainspring cap reinserting?!?!

Salsagev

Feb 6, 2020
Madison
www.youtube.com
Country
Region
I’ve used this method, that I thought of myself, for many times now and it worked flawlessly. The method only involves one non marring clamp. How it works is you insert one end of the mainspring cap at a tilted angle (as it would be before reinserting). Then, adjust the clamp so it’s about the thickness of the barrel. Next position the mainspring barrel with the one side of the cap in and the other side tilted “ajar” in the LONG side of the clamp (the side with the pointed ends). Finally, REVERSE THE RIGHT SIDE SCREW so the clamp a fulcrum, exerting pressure on the side with the barrel, causing the cap to pop into place easily! No tapping or pounding! No support blocks! No aggressive damage! Not expensive! Very easy!:emoji_thumbsup:

(I suggest this method to be used only on low-high end chime clocks but not on expensive museum clocks:emoji_wink:.)

CA57794C-38DA-490C-B73A-EBB70115306E.jpeg

Last edited:

wow

NAWCC Member
Jun 24, 2008
Pineville, La. (central La.)
Country
Region
Great idea, Sals. I have one of those clamps somewhere. I’m gonna find it and try it. I have an anvil with a half inch square in one end of it. I just lay the gear side of the barrel over the hole with the arbor protruding through the hole and rap the cap with a small rubber hammer. Fast and efficient.

Reactions: Salsagev

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
Uck-oooh ... it's th squeezers vs th whackers again. :) Willie X

Last edited:
Reactions: Salsagev

Salsagev

Feb 6, 2020
Madison
www.youtube.com
Country
Region
Thanks! Let me know how it goes!

I have a small anvil with a hole but I don’t think it’s tall enough to support the arbor. I also live in an apartment which restricts tapping or pounding.

Salsagev

Feb 6, 2020
Madison
www.youtube.com
Country
Region
squeezers vs. the whackers
Whacking can cause damage to an extent but using simple machines can be powerful and easy to use! :)

You brought it up!:^
Yay! I like that!

R. Croswell

Apr 4, 2006
Trappe, Md.
www.greenfieldclockshop.com
Country
Region
I'm in the squeezers gang. The only problem with most squeezing methods is that it only presses the cover flush with the barrel but if the cover is fully seated it is often slightly inside the barrel (below the edge of the rim) I usually place a large washer over the cover for a final squeeze, or tap around the edge with a wooden dowel and tap hammer. Regardless of the method, make sure the cover is fully seated.

RC

Wayne A

NAWCC Member
Sep 24, 2019
Country
Region
Press on crew. Useing appropriately sized socket or mainspring retainer that's the size of the cover but just under the barrel od.

Salsagev

Feb 6, 2020
Madison
www.youtube.com
Country
Region
But it’s a very expensive setup though... :emoji_wine_glass:

Salsagev

Feb 6, 2020
Madison
www.youtube.com
Country
Region
The only problem with most squeezing methods is that it only presses the cover flush with the barrel but if the cover is fully seated it is often slightly inside the barrel (below the edge of the rim) I usually place a large washer over the cover for a final squeeze, or tap around the edge with a wooden dowel and tap hammer. Regardless of the method, make sure the cover is fully seated.
Isn't there a edge that prevents this from happening?

Salsagev

Feb 6, 2020
Madison
www.youtube.com
Country
Region
The problem with hitting (for me at least) is first, I don't have any stable work place that supports banging (no heavy table). Then, I may wake my neighbors. Next, I may mis-hit and cause damage.

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
I used to be a whacker. Now I'm a squeezer. I use two small clamps, but like the idea of one like you show. I'll give that idea a try :) :thumb:

Salsagev

Feb 6, 2020
Madison
www.youtube.com
Country
Region
You have me considering something. Do you know if (the press) it has another the use for my clock work?

Wayne A

NAWCC Member
Sep 24, 2019
Country
Region
You have me considering something. Do you know if (the press) it has another the use for my clock work?
Pressing in bushings in the center of plates that are out of reach of parallel jaw pliers.
Pressing on mainspring barrel covers.
Replacing bearings in very small motors, wait no, thats why I originally bought mine.

Wayne

R. Croswell

Apr 4, 2006
Trappe, Md.
www.greenfieldclockshop.com
Country
Region
It can be a handy tool to have, but you wont usually need the amount for force such a tool can generate for clock work. A drill press will be used for more things and can also keep things lined up better. I keep intending to buy an arbor press but have never gotten around to it.

RC

Altashot

Oct 12, 2017
Country
I use mine to press bushings, removing/installing/straightening barrel caps, pressing centre arbours out, pressing sleeves on, straightening wheels, punching holes in springs (although I use an actual hole punch now) and many other things I can’t think of right now and other things not clock related.

Once you start using one, you start making punches and adapters for whatever the job requires.

Mine is a 1/2 ton press and sometimes I wish it was bigger but I make do.

M.

Altashot

Oct 12, 2017
Country
There probably are some punches made to be used with a press but I just make mine as I need them.
I drilled a 1/4” hole 2” deep in one end of the “ram” that travels up and down to hold my custom punches. I left the other end flat. It’s easily reversed by pulling the handle/gear out and turning the “ram” around.

M.

Salsagev

Feb 6, 2020
Madison
www.youtube.com
Country
Region
May I ask for a picture of your assembly please? Sounds interesting.

Schatznut

NAWCC Member
Sep 26, 2020
SoCal
Country
Region
Man, I never thought that replacing mainspring barrel caps would turn into a theological discussion. I have my own technique that relies on a bench vise, tongue depressors and a set of Knipe parallel-jaw pliers. With a satisfying "snap", it works every time. But that would brand me as a heretic... My press is good for 20 tons but I've only had to use it once.

Salsagev

Feb 6, 2020
Madison
www.youtube.com
Country
Region
Man, I never thought that replacing mainspring barrel caps would turn into a theological discussion. I have my own technique that relies on a bench vise, tongue depressors and a set of Knipe parallel-jaw pliers. With a satisfying "snap", it works every time. But that would brand me as a heretic... My press is good for 20 tons but I've only had to use it once.
That’s the point! Thought maybe it was a good discussion point because there are many different opinions but not a lot of debate about it!

To me, 20 ton press is a bit scary not only to me personally but the the clock part.

That set up’s down side is that it may be a bit cumbersome, especially if you don’t have a lot of space. But seems like it works and of course the satisfying click is the best!

JimmyOz

Feb 21, 2008
Gold Coast Qld
Country
Region
I think the conclusion to be drawn is that there is no one way to do it as some click into the barrel with just pushing down with your thumbs (has that once) then on the other extreme you need parallel clamps, like Salsagev (I have steel engineers clamps that work the same way) on an old fusee barrel that has been bashed in around the top (had that more than once). I have a 1 ton press that I have never used for this, never thought of it, however it is now another option.

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
Given a choice, I'd go for the drill press ... but don't go cheap. If the drill press isn't of good quality it will be useless to you. They have to run with near the same precision as a lathe.

Schatznut

NAWCC Member
Sep 26, 2020
SoCal
Country
Region
That’s the point! Thought maybe it was a good discussion point because there are many different opinions but not a lot of debate about it!

To me, 20 ton press is a bit scary not only to me personally but the the clock part.

That set up’s down side is that it may be a bit cumbersome, especially if you don’t have a lot of space. But seems like it works and of course the satisfying click is the best!
Yeah, that press is a beast... Actually, I don't let it near my clocks out of fear of the havoc it could create. ;)

Altashot

Oct 12, 2017
Country
Here’s the press.
F418E7EB-E013-4288-8762-9C3337235656.jpeg
With the handle assembly removed, I can pull out the “ram”.

FBBE73CE-BC89-49D3-BB7A-A127FEAD023A.jpeg
Here’s the hole at one end, the other end I kept flat.

A366A1A8-419A-4B0E-B12E-9298C0920011.jpeg
Here it is with a punch installed in the hole. This one is very long, I can’t remember what I needed it for but it was the first one I grabbed for this demo. I have several punches, pointy, hollow, flat...

39F95BE5-27A9-42A1-9EDF-49A5FC15CDC6.jpeg
Here it is installed in the press.

5C1F5C02-BC97-4113-8ABF-B4B0FF2D1795.jpeg
With this assortment of anvil, split stakes and blocks, it is very versatile and does pretty much everything I want it to, until it doesn’t, then I make something new.

B64A2E8A-A109-445F-9A8A-7C110385E348.jpeg

M.

wow

NAWCC Member
Jun 24, 2008
Pineville, La. (central La.)
Country
Region
Here’s the press.
View attachment 650449
With the handle assembly removed, I can pull out the “ram”.

View attachment 650450
Here’s the hole at one end, the other end I kept flat.

View attachment 650451
Here it is with a punch installed in the hole. This one is very long, I can’t remember what I needed it for but it was the first one I grabbed for this demo. I have several punches, pointy, hollow, flat...

View attachment 650452
Here it is installed in the press.

View attachment 650453
With this assortment of anvil, split stakes and blocks, it is very versatile and does pretty much everything I want it to, until it doesn’t, then I make something new.

View attachment 650454

M.
Where’d you buy the press? I like that!

Altashot

Oct 12, 2017
Country
I purchased it from Amazon. There are several brands of several sizes.
Mine is a 1/2 ton. It was just under $100 CA.

M.

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
Harbor Freight has one a lot less expensive.

Wayne A

NAWCC Member
Sep 24, 2019
Country
Region
Harbor Freight has one a lot less expensive.
Thats the one I have. Its been a long time ago but do remember well trying to get the shipping grease/goop off of it!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
che63
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Weekly News 7/7/19 by Tom McIntyre