New ads next to forum posts

Discussion in 'Message Board Help & Notices' started by Jeremy Woodoff, Nov 14, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Jeremy Woodoff

Jeremy Woodoff Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 30, 2002
    I have noticed recently that ads are now taking up much of the space on our forum posts, leaving only a narrow column on the left for the text and photos. I think the layout becomes very unattractive, and in addition requires much scrolling to read through the text and see the pictures. Might there be another way to lay out the ads on these pages?

2. Jeremy Woodoff

NAWCC Member

Jun 30, 2002
    Is it possible this happens only when non-members view the forum? I was on my office computer and not logged in; when I logged in these ads disappeared.

3. Markus Harris

Markus Harris NAWCC Communications Director
    Staff Member NAWCC Member

Feb 2, 2009
    Male
    Director of Communications, NAWCC Inc.
    Lancaster, PA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    That is correct. Those ads only appear to users are not logged-in members of the Message Board (or who are not logged-in members of the NAWCC).

Regards,

Markus Harris

4. Dick C

Dick C Registered User

Oct 14, 2009
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Advertising,

Accelerating the death of the Internet!

Does the NAWCC place advertisements within posts; to be targeted at those who are currently not members of the organization?

5. Bill Stuntz

Bill Stuntz Technical Admin
    Staff Member Donor NAWCC Member

Apr 6, 2012
    Male
    PC Tech
    Columbus. OH
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Ads are not placed IN the posts. But ads do appear to "guests" who aren't logged into the MB. They don't appear for logged in "Registered Users." NAWCC membership doesn't change the behavior, except that some forums are only visible to NAWCC members. And the What's It Worth forums are free for NAWCC members.

6. Dick C

Dick C Registered User

Oct 14, 2009
    Male
    Country Flag:
    I understand everything that you say.

However, I ask that you might want to log out of the message board, clear nawcc cookies.

Then, without logging in, start http://mb.nawcc.org/ and click on Clock Repair and when the list of threads appear, click on one, two or three of the items and see if the ads do appear within the posts.

I have tried it a few times and it is consistent.

Am I missing something here?

My second question was whether the nawcc.org placed some of their own ads in order to solicit potential members? The organization wants to increase membership; however, I do not see much of an effort to do so with people that come to this board, even to look without creating an account. Maybe it doesn't matter to the organization. Maybe they are happy with the way that these things are today.

Dick

7. Bill Stuntz

Apr 6, 2012
    Male
    PC Tech
    Columbus. OH
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #7 Bill Stuntz, Nov 14, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2016
    Thank you - you've raised some good questions.

Dick, I stand corrected! :bang: You are correct, there ARE ads IN post#1 of each thread when I'm logged out. It appears that those ads are placed there by AdChoices. But I've never seen them before, for 2 reasons:
    1) I'm ALWAYS logged in because I have "Remember Me" checked.
    2) I normally run firefox with an ad blocker installed. The ad blocker apparently hides the ad - but post#1 is reformatted to leave space for the hidden ad even though it isn't displayed. I hadn't noticed the reformatting before.

AFAIK, WE don't chose which ads are displayed. I'm pretty sure they're selected by AdChoices, probably based on the user's browser history.
    I'll check into it, but AFAIK, only Tom (and maybe Markus) has control over the advertising that's displayed on the MB.

8. Dick C

Dick C Registered User

Oct 14, 2009
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Bill,

They also show up in other than the #1 post. One has to find a thread with a large number of posts.

9. Bill Stuntz

Apr 6, 2012
    Male
    PC Tech
    Columbus. OH
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    :glasses:Looking into THAT a little deeper, the ads seem to display in the first & last post on each page of the longer threads.

10. Tom McIntyre

Tom McIntyre Technical Admin
    Staff Member Donor Sponsor NAWCC Member

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I think you guys have deduced the policy correctly.

Advertising is the death of the Internet just like it is for television. Resources cost money and someone has to pay for them. Most Internet sites use much more advertising than we do because they need to make a profit to justify operation. We are happy with just a subsidy.

The alternative would be to not show any information to the public unless they had paid a fee. I am opposed to that, but the BOD have been considering it.

I believe that users who are not logged in cannot dismiss the right hand column either, so the posts the ads appear in are squeezed by both the side bar and the ad.

If people are individually concerned about the posts not being read properly, they can keep the initial post short and post more information after someone else has expressed an interest in the thread topic.

I suppose someone could offer to endow the Message Board. My guess is that a fund of about $250,000 would be enough to cover our costs from its income stream.

11. Bill Stuntz

Apr 6, 2012
    Male
    PC Tech
    Columbus. OH
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I wasn't aware that ads appear IN the posts until Dick called it to my attention.

Simplest solution: Don't browse as a guest - click "Remember Me" so you're always logged in.

12. Tom McIntyre

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The alternative used by most of the "help" sites is to isolate the question above a package of ads and require scanning down through them to find any of the answers. I find that really annoying, but as I work more on software I am gradually improving in finding the answer to my question. Of course, those sites have very little pictorial content.

13. Jeremy Woodoff

NAWCC Member

Jun 30, 2002
    I suppose it might be too confusing or difficult to do, but I was thinking a small banner above each of these ads in the forum could read something like "This ad helps support the Message Board. Ads do not appear for members of NAWCC. Join today!"

14. Dick C

Dick C Registered User

Oct 14, 2009
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Reference fee based message boards.

Does anyone know of any that exist, or better yet, did exist and are now extinct because of fees?

I know of one, IHC18x. Are there others?

250,000 endowment.....how much money did the organization spend in its marketing consulting study in order to bring in new/past members? Did it meet its goals?

Is there anyone on the BOD that thinks out of the box?

15. Tom McIntyre

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    If you look at the numbers being assigned to new members, you will notice that we have had about 175,000 members since the organization was founded.

If you look at the subscriptions to all the horology related journals, the current interested population is close to 100,000.

The member retrieval program runs in batches from time to time and is designed to bring in more current income in renewals than the program costs to execute. It is my understanding that it has been mostly successful but I do not have any real numbers.

I do not belong to any fee for service organizations. I do not believe in them except for health insurance. My personal interest is in the pleasure I derive from giving and the occasional plum I receive of overlooked information that furthers my studies. It bothers me a bit that folks are hung up on "getting their money's worth" from an educational charity.