New addition Seth Thomas #1 Extra

Discussion in 'Your Newest Clock Acquisition' started by Russell Dickson, Nov 20, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Russell Dickson

Russell Dickson Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 1, 2011
    Male
    Freelance Writer
    New York
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I am so happy to finally add this 1860's Seth Thomas #1 Extra to my clock collection. I have been trying to get one of these for years and they always got bid up ridiculously high. Persistence finally paid off and I purchased this beautiful specimen at auction in Iowa. I am glad I did not buy that last #1 I had or I never would have gotten this one, Comprising an original finished rosewood case with octagonal top containing an original 14 inch painted metal dial with black Roman hour numerals and long drop with original reverse painted and gold leaf tablet, a good paper label and pendulum. It also has great provenance, inside the case is a picture of the actual school house it hung in and a note dated 1937 talking about the clock and its previous owner. If anyone has anything to add about this clock I would welcome it.

st_3_x.jpg st_4_x.jpg st1_1_x.jpg st1_5_x.jpg st1_x.jpg

S_Owsley likes this.
  2. Jim DuBois

Jim DuBois Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jun 14, 2008
    Male
    Magnolia, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Very nice clock! Good buy I think. Never owned one of these as, like you, they always seemed too high.

Russell Dickson likes this.
  3. woodlawndon

woodlawndon Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 18, 2017
    Male
    Woodlawn, Ontario
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Lovely clock. Don't remember seeing one on here since I've been around, I really like it.
    Don

4. bruce linde

bruce linde Technical Admin
    NAWCC Member

Nov 13, 2011
    oakland, ca.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    ain't she purty!

5. Russell Dickson

NAWCC Member

Dec 1, 2011
    Male
    Freelance Writer
    New York
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    When it arrives I will post more pictures of it, having it shipped back to me

6. Russell Dickson

NAWCC Member

Dec 1, 2011
    Male
    Freelance Writer
    New York
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I'm really glad I let that other one go now

7. Russell Dickson

NAWCC Member

Dec 1, 2011
    Male
    Freelance Writer
    New York
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Yeah I got lucky it was a weekday auction so I think it helped me. I got this for a lot less then it should have gone for. I pinching myself over this one. Cant wait to get it home and get a closer look at it. When I saw the note and the picture of the school in it I had to have it.

8. Russell Dickson

NAWCC Member

Dec 1, 2011
    Male
    Freelance Writer
    New York
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #8 Russell Dickson, Nov 20, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2019
    The auction estimate was off. These usually go for $1000- 1500 at every auction i have tried to purchase one at and there have been many. I have also seen a lot fetch $2-3000. Auction estimate was way off at 400-500 on this one. I got it for a steal

9. heifetz17

heifetz17 Registered User

Apr 8, 2015
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Beautiful clock, but I don’t believe it is 1860s. I’m certainly no expert but isn’t Thomaston Conn after 1875?

10. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    Plymouth Hollow was unofficially re-named Thomaston in 1865; officially in 1875. In 1865, Set Thomas Clock Co. began using the name Thomaston on labels and movements, but for several years we see various combinations. Most that I have seen have had Plymouth on the movement (Plymouth Hollow is never on the movement) and Thomaston on the label. What's on the movement would be interesting to know.

11. heifetz17

heifetz17 Registered User

Apr 8, 2015
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Ah, that makes perfect sense!

12. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 11, 2002
    I work at the Veritas Tools machine shop.
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Very nice find, its in great condition.Sometimes waiting is a good thing. I have seen a few online, but they do go high.

13. Warren Brook

Warren Brook Registered User
    NAWCC Member

May 27, 2005
    Male
    Retired
    Atlanta
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Congratulations Russell on winning this very nice clock. I too have wanted a #1 Extra for many years and liked this particular clock for all the reasons you detailed. I didn't bid because the 30% buyers commission PLUS $428.00!!! shipping quote to Atlanta + $?? insurance + tax made it too pricey for me. I think that was the reason why there were so few bidders.

14. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
    Very nice indeed!

Based upon the note and picture inside the case, they had some real snazzy clocks in schools in those days.

RM

15. Russell Dickson

NAWCC Member

Dec 1, 2011
    Male
    Freelance Writer
    New York
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The note and picture are so amazing to me. Like most of us collectors i often wonder where my clocks were before I owned them, so to actually know exactly where this one came from and to have that noted in the case blows my mind.

16. Russell Dickson

NAWCC Member

Dec 1, 2011
    Male
    Freelance Writer
    New York
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    As soon as the clock arrives I will post some pictures of the deal movement. Thanks for you input. I always appreciate it.

17. Russell Dickson

NAWCC Member

Dec 1, 2011
    Male
    Freelance Writer
    New York
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I'm sure you are right. Im using my own shipper for this no way I'm paying 400 bucks tow ship to ny

18. Russell Dickson

NAWCC Member

Dec 1, 2011
    Male
    Freelance Writer
    New York
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Waiting can be frustrating. It is really hard to get those must have clocks for our collections. Some collectors i have gone against have deep pockets so when I get a small victory like this I feel so happy. Im hoping to get a southern clock company "fashion" calender clock next, wish me luck.

19. Warren Brook

Warren Brook Registered User
    NAWCC Member

May 27, 2005
    Male
    Retired
    Atlanta
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #19 Warren Brook, Nov 23, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2019
    The Auction House's terms and conditions stated that they did not allow outside shippers. I found their shipping quote to be extremely high, which is why I didn't bid.

SHIPPING NOTICE:
    J*****'s is your sole and only source for one stop packing and shipping. With over 50 years of experience, our professional, affordable and efficient in-house shipping department will be happy to provide you a fair and reasonable shipping quote on this lot. Simply email us before the auction for a quick quote: shipping@j*****sauction.com or call 1-800-665-****. J*****'s can expertly pack and ship to meet any of your needs. To ensure quality control J*****'s DOES NOT release to third party shippers.

20. Russell Dickson

NAWCC Member

Dec 1, 2011
    Male
    Freelance Writer
    New York
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #20 Russell Dickson, Nov 23, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2019
    I called them and they said they would be willing to let me use another shipper before I bid on it, but they do not advertise it. Also 25%-30% is the standard auction house fee. Depending on your finances everything but the shipping seems reasonable to me. It doesn't matter all that much to me, I will gladly pay it if I have to as long as it gets to me safely. I got the clock at such a low price I still saved hundreds even if I pay the in house shipping, so still a great deal for this clock!
    They normally sell for 1-1200 buck with 25% fee and shipping on top of that, so I saved a pile of cash on the deal. Funny conversation most people want to talk about the clock and not how I paid for it.

Warren Brook likes this.
  21. Russell Dickson

NAWCC Member

Dec 1, 2011
    Male
    Freelance Writer
    New York
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Glad I didn't go up against you bidding on this one :)

22. S_Owsley

S_Owsley Registered User

Jan 24, 2011
    Male
    Construction Management
    San Francisco
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The note in the clock reminds me of the Cadillacs in "Driving Miss Daisy".

23. Russell Dickson

NAWCC Member

Dec 1, 2011
    Male
    Freelance Writer
    New York
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    So my clock arrived relatively ok. Looks like it has an early unmarked terry round movement, looks pretty clean. It looks like a survivor with it's original glass, and tablet. The only problem I found so far is a broken suspension spring and It is missing its weight.. Here are some more pictures.

20191207_155105.jpg 20191207_155036.jpg 20191207_155043.jpg 20191207_155046.jpg 20191207_155050.jpg 20191207_155058.jpg 20191207_154627.jpg 20191207_154723.jpg

24. bruce linde

bruce linde Technical Admin
    NAWCC Member

Nov 13, 2011
    oakland, ca.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    do we know what the weight looks like? specs?

25. Russell Dickson

NAWCC Member

Dec 1, 2011
    Male
    Freelance Writer
    New York
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #25 Russell Dickson, Dec 7, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2019
    It should be Cast Iron and weighs approximately 9 lbs., 3 oz. Approximate size is 6" x 4-1/2" x 1-5/16".
    If anyone has one please message me. I will purchase it.
    st%20no%201%20extra%20weight.jpg

26. Jim DuBois

Jim DuBois Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jun 14, 2008
    Male
    Magnolia, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have this weight that might do the job. 8 pounds measures 6.25" x 3" x 1.75". Close, but not quite?

20191207_170120.jpg 20191207_170127.jpg

27. Russell Dickson

NAWCC Member

Dec 1, 2011
    Male
    Freelance Writer
    New York
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
  28. ImPondering

ImPondering Registered User

Jul 12, 2013
    Region Flag:
    Such a lovely regulator! The note and picture are a great addition. Would be great to find out who wrote that note and signed with his initials. He obviously was as thrilled as you to acquire it.

29. Russell Dickson

NAWCC Member

Dec 1, 2011
    Male
    Freelance Writer
    New York
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It is a pretty rare cock, the normal #1 regulators are scarce, these #1 Extras are even scarcer. I only see them come up to auction at few times a year and they always command a premium. So I am definitely thrilled to have it. The note and the picture of the school make an even greater find for me and boost the value even higher, not that I would consider selling it at this point. I wish I knew what state Rochelle was in. I think maybe Illinois? A google search didn't return any results on the school. If I could narrow down what state it came from originally. I could call the local historical society and enquire about the school it cam from? I purchased it from an auction house in Iowa.

30. ImPondering

ImPondering Registered User

Jul 12, 2013
    Region Flag:
    ------------------------
    I think you're right about Illinois, or that would be my guess too. There is a school on 8th street. Maybe check with the local school board for historical records.

Rochelle School District Supt 444 N 8th St Rochelle, IL School Districts - MapQuest

I suspect Sam Hanson is no longer the janitor.

31. Russell Dickson

NAWCC Member

Dec 1, 2011
    Male
    Freelance Writer
    New York
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks for the tip. I will give them a call and see where it leads, maybe they have some personnel records they can check for his name. I hope I can find some more info on this clock.