New Addition - ITR Weight Driven Motor Wound Master Clock

Discussion in 'Electric Horology' started by Joe B, Aug 9, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Joe B

Joe B Registered User

May 2, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Just bought this guy! Should be able to have some more detailed photos and info on it in the next week or so... Could not find the model number or any ID plate. Does anyone recognize the model? Or have an estimate on the age?

Runs great but needs service and lots of small TLC.

It was from the estate of a higher level employee at ITR during the IBM conversion when they retired this clock to him.

This is the only photo I have for now:
    Clock.jpg

Dave T and Kevin W. like this.
  2. Burkhard Rasch

Burkhard Rasch Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 1, 2007
    Male
    General-and trauma surgeon
    Twistringen
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    wow,that looks to be a great clock,congrats! Looking foreward to more pics and technical details!
    Burkhard

Joe B likes this.
  3. Joe B

Joe B Registered User

May 2, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Alright, so here it is - Cleaned up, serviced, and running! The only thing is that it currently seems to rewind every 12 hours or so, does anyone know if that seems right? I thought these rewound more like every 2-3 days but I could be wrong. The mercurial pendulum is perfectly in tact just removed in the photos for cleaning of the mercury and glass vials before reinstalling. Also - I have the original hands but they were not installed for the photo.

IMG_8311.JPG IMG_8310.JPG IMG_8309.JPG IMG_8308.JPG IMG_8307.JPG IMG_8306.JPG IMG_8305.JPG IMG_8307.JPG IMG_8306.JPG IMG_8305.JPG IMG_8304.JPG IMG_8303.JPG IMG_8302.JPG IMG_8301.JPG IMG_8300.JPG IMG_8299.JPG IMG_8296.JPG IMG_8294.JPG

4. Scot Traffis

Scot Traffis Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 8, 2011
    electical tech
    parma oh
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    the winding is about right, both of mind wind about every 11 or 12 hours

Joe B likes this.
  5. Scot Traffis

NAWCC Member

Apr 8, 2011
    electical tech
    parma oh
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    your clock has a case just like Self Winding Clock Co. master clock. Nice clock, I like the motor rewind clocks they are very accurate timekeepers and run forever with very little upkeep

Joe B likes this.
  6. Joe B

Joe B Registered User

May 2, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Thanks Scot, I hope to have it running completely by next week. As I was placing the mercury jars back in the pendulum I thankfully notices a crack in the suspension spring... so now I'm waiting for the new one to be delivered. Better that i found it that way though...

Kevin W. likes this.
  7. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 11, 2002
    I work at the Veritas Tools machine shop.
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Great looking clock, i love those IBM clocks, i have a master IBM and i really like it, nice to see others around.

8. Scot Traffis

NAWCC Member

Apr 8, 2011
    electical tech
    parma oh
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have four masters with mercury pendulums, two with glass jars and two with sealed metal tubes. I always worried about broken suspension springs so I always check them when ever I do any maintain on the clocks.

Kevin W. likes this.
  9. paradise

paradise Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 24, 2007
    I have the same case on a motor wind IBM and for all my looking it seems to me to be a Stromberg case with beveled glass all around and a 14 inch dial. I also have a few motor wound glass jar pendulum clocks. I rigged a setup somewhat similar to a Seth Thomas tower clock whereby if the suspension spring breaks it will catch the pendulum before it falls more than a quarter inch. I would imagine y'all can improvise something that does that and let me tell you it takes away a lot of the worry about mercury spill. It does not affect the movement of the pendulum at all.
    Just look at a ST tower clock up near the suspension spring.

Joe B likes this.
  10. Joe B

Joe B Registered User

May 2, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Alright so here's the update - I replaced the suspension spring with an exact replacement I found and replaced the mercury jars. The clock, at the fastest pendulum position, continues to run slow. I do notice that the mercury vials are a bit low on mercury, do you think that would case the clock to run too slow? (I've got to brush up on my physics)

IMG_8363.JPG

11. Scot Traffis

NAWCC Member

Apr 8, 2011
    electical tech
    parma oh
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The jars on my clocks are filled to about 3/4" from the top

12. Joe B

Joe B Registered User

May 2, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Huh, so mine are a little low but I wouldn't think that would have such a large impact on running speed. Though I guess 2 more pounds of mercury would make a difference.

13. fdew

fdew Registered User

Jul 12, 2007
    It isn’t the weight of the mercury that is throwing it off, it is the location of the center of mass of that mercury. If the jars are 1/2 full and are 7in tall then the center of your weight has moved down about 1 3/4 in. That is a lot.

Joe B likes this.