New Acquisition

beststevens

Sep 7, 2011
Florida
Country
Region
New Acquisition and I can't find out anything about it. The man who sold it to me told me the name and said it was very rare, but I don't remember it. Does anyone know anything about this clock. The music box works, but whatever attached it to the clock is gone - I'm thinking thin wire? The clock strikes every 15 minutes but is always 7 strikes - so something is wrong there. Can anyone shed some light on it for me. As always = thank you all very much.
thumbnail (11).jpg thumbnail (8).jpg thumbnail (10).jpg thumbnail (9).jpg thumbnail (13).jpg

Russell Dickson

NAWCC Member
Dec 1, 2011
New York
newsblaze.com
Country
Region
New Acquisition and I can't find out anything about it. The man who sold it to me told me the name and said it was very rare, but I don't remember it. Does anyone know anything about this clock. The music box works, but whatever attached it to the clock is gone - I'm thinking thin wire? The clock strikes every 15 minutes but is always 7 strikes - so something is wrong there. Can anyone shed some light on it for me. As always = thank you all very much.
View attachment 484894 View attachment 484888 View attachment 484890 View attachment 484892 View attachment 484895
I would agree with the assessment of the man that sold it to you. It is uncommon to find a French portico clock with a music box on it. It looks like mid 1800's my best guess. Look for a stamp on the movement and post it for us to give you more info on a maker.

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
I am not at all sure that it is French - is there any particular reason to suppose it is? I suspect it may be Austrian (by 'Austrian' I mean that it could have come from almost any part of the Austro-Hungarian Empire, as clocks like this were made in Vienna, Czech lands and Hungary). It is almost impossible from the photos to see what the picture is in the semi-circle at the top, but the little 'daisies' decoration on the edges is very Austrian of the 1840s. It seems that someone has gone over that part of the case with heavy varnish. If you remove the varnish from one of the 'daisies', you may well find that it is made of mother-of-pearl, though it's also possible they are brass. The alabaster columns would have had gilded bases. Austrian clocks like this quite often had musical boxes incorporated.

The movement is very typical of Austrian clocks of that era, though I would have expected two hammers and I can only see one. Some more pictures of the movement would be interesting and may help to see how the musical part was attached and activated. Very frequently these movements were unsigned.

Can you post some clearer photos of the painted panel and also let us see what it looks like at the back?

A nice clock and well worth the time and trouble to bring back to life.

JTD

PatH

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Dec 5, 2014
Texas
Country
Region
Hi - congratulations on your new acquisition! It looks like an Austrian (Biedermeier) portico clock, and they are rather uncommon. Unfortunately I can't tell you much about it, but you might be able to search on those words and get a better idea. They were made with music boxes that are activated at the top of the hour, as well as striking on the quarter hour and some were repeaters. I'm sure someone will be along here shortly who can provide more information.

Pat

Edit - looks like JTD and I were posting at the same time.

zedric

NAWCC Member
Aug 8, 2012
Country
Region
I agree with Pat and JTD, this definitely has the look of a clock from Austro-Hungary rather than France. The movement may run for only 30 hours, and should strike Viennese grande-sonnerie, and there must be a second hammer somewhere as there are two gongs. The music box may not have been connected to the strikework, it could be completely independent. But only investigation of the movement will tell you more.

leeinv66

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Mar 31, 2005
Launceston Tasmania
Country
Region
I also agree with the learned members who are saying this is a Austro-Hungary clock. A very nice find!

beststevens

Sep 7, 2011
Florida
Country
Region
thank you so much for the information. the lever that moves the music box is not attached. Just for testing purposes, I put a string on it and it works. I would have imagined it was a rod of some sort that moved the lever? The back of the movement has nothing on it - I have not taken the movement out to check the front. I will take a look at the daisy and post more pictures.

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
The back of the movement has nothing on it - I have not taken the movement out to check the front. I will take a look at the daisy and post more pictures.
I really meant the back of the painted panel. And I am curious to see what the painting shows. It is somewhat unusual, in my opinion, on a clock of this type.

I will take a look at the daisy and post more pictures.
Yes, thank you, that would be very interesting.

JTD

beststevens

Sep 7, 2011
Florida
Country
Region
It's actually like a post card - I was able to remove it and there is nothing on it nor the piece I removed it from. thumbnail.jpg thumbnail.jpg

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
It's actually like a post card - I was able to remove it and there is nothing on it nor the piece I removed it from. View attachment 485000 View attachment 485000
I rather doubt that this card is original. Quite often these clocks had little bunches of artificial flowers or paintings (I had one with a little train and some flowers). These were usually behind a pane of glass.

It a bit hard to see what the picture is on the card, but there is a figure in a hat and some flowers. I should keep it where it is for the time being.

Look forward to hearing about the 'daisies'.

JTD

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
Well, the pictures are not very sharp, won't enlarge and are strangely colorless, so I can't say very much. It looks to me, without having any idea of the color or your impression of what you have found, that they may well be mother-of-pearl. Most of the wooden parts of the clock seems to have been coated with heavy, brown varnish which is not original. Personally I would remove it all, but it's up to you. Certainly the daisies weren't meant to be covered up, they would have stood out brightly against the original wood, which was probably ebonised (black). I am not sure from the photos, but it does not look to me as if all the varnish has been removed from the daisy you have shown.

JTD

Russell Dickson

NAWCC Member
Dec 1, 2011
New York
newsblaze.com
Country
Region
You fellows are probably right, but I would still like to see a makers mark before making any concrete statements. Japy Frere was a prolific maker of porticos for the Austrian Hungarian market. I own a couple, none with a music box though.

zedric

NAWCC Member
Aug 8, 2012
Country
Region
if it is Austro-Hungarian, there is unlikely to be a maker's mark. It's the layout of the movement and gongs that makes it look Austro-Hungarian.

Can you show pictures of your Japy movements for comparison?

Russell Dickson

NAWCC Member
Dec 1, 2011
New York
newsblaze.com
Country
Region
if it is Austro-Hungarian, there is unlikely to be a maker's mark. It's the layout of the movement and gongs that makes it look Austro-Hungarian.

Can you show pictures of your Japy movements for comparison?
Makes sense, if you scroll back to my original comment, I said my best "Guess" would be French, I never said that I was a 100 percent sure it was, so everyone cut me some slack, thank you. I will post a pic of my porticos when I get the chance.

Last edited:

zedric

NAWCC Member
Aug 8, 2012
Country
Region
Sorry if that came across a bit brusque - wasn't meant as such, just thought it would be interesting to see the two side by side and compare.

claussclocks

NAWCC Member
Mar 14, 2013
Texas
Country
Region
I think it looks Austrian too.
Be nice to see more of the movement

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member