Never seen one like it? anybody seen one before???? WOW! What is it?? Retro?

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by ANTIQUECUCKOOCLOCK.ORG, Jan 23, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. ANTIQUECUCKOOCLOCK.ORG

ANTIQUECUCKOOCLOCK.ORG Registered User

Dec 28, 2011
    COLLECTOR, RESTORER, PRESERVER, TRADER.
    Ok fellas, Its not often I am stumped. Not often at all.... In all my years of pretty serious exploring, I have never seen a cuckoo movement with a hair spring escapement. On first look, I dismissed it as retrofit, but on closer inspection, I think its legit!! In 20+ years of collecting and exploring I have never seen one.
    Signed GHS and with this set up. A & R on the front levers for advance, & retard, to tune the fly.

WOW!!! Has anyone seen one like this before? (ALBRA??) Harold?... Steve??

Anyone seen a hairspring cuckoo motor? :) :)

z (1).jpg z (2).jpg z (3).jpg z (4).jpg z (5).jpg z (6).jpg

2. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    As you probably already know, GHS is Gordian Hettich & Sohn. The company ceased in 1919 so your clock is before that. But, like you, I have never seen a movement like this before.

Let us hope someone will have more information, it is surely an interesting question.

JTD

3. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    Yeah, I know nothing more than JTD, I'm afraid.

4. harold bain

harold bain Registered User
    NAWCC Member Deceased

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    deceased
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Perhaps it was an attempt to make a cuckoo that would work on a boat?? Nope, never seen one either.

5. senhalls

senhalls Registered User

Apr 4, 2006
    retired
    western PA.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    This movement is from a small case (eight inches high) cuckoo with ONE pipe. One lever actuated the bellows and the other lever actuated a popoff valve on the side of the pipe to change the pitch for the other note. The US patent number is 465,441, T.Weiser, Dec. 15, 1891. The pipe is L shaped to fit in the small case.

6. senhalls

senhalls Registered User

Apr 4, 2006
    retired
    western PA.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
  7. Jeremy Woodoff

Jeremy Woodoff Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 30, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Here is another example of a cuckoo with balance wheel. It looks more like a typical non-cuckoo movement modified for use with a cuckoo. The logo on the back plate is a horseshoe with a star. The brass back cover has "D.G.M.S. Registered" and the number 126653 with the labels (slow, fast, time wind, etc.) in English. The top part of the cuckoo housing is missing; there was originally a round hole that the cuckoo peeked out of.

IMG_7209.JPG IMG_7208.JPG IMG_7207.JPG

8. Albra

Albra Registered User

Oct 17, 2006
    #8 Albra, Jan 25, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2016
    Greetings Jeff,

Yes, I know this movement, but it's really rare. For all we know, it was manufactured by the brass foundry Gebr. Siedle in Triberg for GHS.

Gebr. Siedle made clock parts and movements with cast plates. they filed for bankrupty in 1902.

I suspect this movement was the very last movement of Gebr. Siedle before bankruptcy.

Albra

9. ANTIQUECUCKOOCLOCK.ORG

ANTIQUECUCKOOCLOCK.ORG Registered User

Dec 28, 2011
    COLLECTOR, RESTORER, PRESERVER, TRADER.