Netflix

Discussion in 'Member News and Views' started by dweiss17, Oct 19, 2014.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. dweiss17

dweiss17 Registered User
    Old Timer NAWCC Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Retired from Graphic Arts
    Philadelphia, PA
    Country Flag:
    Do any of our NAWCC members or friends play Netflix from their computer to the TV screen?

2. jakematic

jakematic Registered User

Sep 26, 2014
    NC USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #2 jakematic, Oct 19, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2014
    I don't have Netlfix anymore but you can do it with Chromecast - a little dongle you plug into the TV for $35.

It is geared toward 'apps' on phones, but I use it often to mirror from my google Chrome web browser to the TV.
    So much nicer to watch or read from my easy chair since my aging eyes can't see small screens well.

Have started watching the 2013 Ward Francillon lectures this way too.

Good alternatives would be a Roku or Apple TV but they run in the $100 range.
    Edit: Forgot to mention Apple TV and Roku are little boxes with remotes that don't require a computer.

3. dweiss17

dweiss17 Registered User
    Old Timer NAWCC Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Philadelphia, PA
    Country Flag:
    Netflix WILL NOT WORK ON XP WINDOWS...YOU MUST HAVE WINDOWS 7 OR ABOVE...The gadget goes back to Amazon and my Visa Card Statement will show a full refund. It would have been nice to see stuff you see on the computer monitor to show on the TV screen. We win some and we lose some...that's electronics.

4. jakematic

Sep 26, 2014
    NC USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    That's a shame.
    It annoys me that so many things require 'new' versions of Windows.
    Next thing you know you have upgrade something else, get a new computer, etc, and usually by that time I forget what the original project was...

5. richiec

richiec Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Male
    automotive warranty inspector
    Brick, Ocean, NJ
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I too had to replace my old XP with Windows 7 Professional. Luckily my buddy worked for IBM for years and came down this summer and transferred all of my data to my new tower. I do not use Netflix, have Verizon FIOS and if there aren't enough movies on it, oh well, can't be bothered. No DVRs for me. I spend most of my time with baseball, football, golf, intermittently hockey and the History channel.

6. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    North Carolina
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Now the new hardware can't be mounted in the old XP boxes, and Windows 7 is obsolete. About the only way you can get a new computer without Windows 8.1 is to have it custom made.

7. DJH584

DJH584 Newbie

Jun 21, 2013
    Coach Driver
    Clacton On Sea
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Windows 7 is NOT obsolete and extended support exists for it until 2020 according to this link http://www.pcworld.com/article/2462643/what-happens-when-microsoft-ends-windows-7-mainstream-support-next-year.html

Dan

I think you need to visit this page http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows7/products/system-requirements to see if your computer is compatible with Windows 7.
    My computer is about 5 years old and I successfully upgraded to Win7 - personally given the reviews about Win8, I wouldn't 't touch it with a barge pole.

As always, my regards

David

8. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    North Carolina
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I just tried to buy one. Not to be had at the big box stores. They recommended a refurbished one, but I don't like that idea. I settled on their best windows 8.1, and am adjusting to the new format fairly quickly. So far, no issues to report (other than not saving my bookmarks to an HTML file before transferring my old C drive to the new computer's E drive. I still got them copied, but much less easily.)

9. jakematic

Sep 26, 2014
    NC USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It's not bad at all once you spend a little time with it.
    Have seen/heard much gnashing of teeth over the lack of the old start button button, but it's much easier to work with once you get used to it.
    Made my Surface Pro a breeze to use after having it on the desktop for several months.

Windows 10 is coming and looks like a hybrid... not sure about that idea yet.

10. dweiss17

dweiss17 Registered User
    Old Timer NAWCC Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Philadelphia, PA
    Country Flag:
  11. Bill Stuntz

Bill Stuntz Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 6, 2012
    Male
    PC Tech
    Columbus. OH
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Afraid that's mostly true. There's no easy direct upgrade path from XP to 7. You can run the "File & Settings Transfer Wizard" on XP BEFORE installing 7, saving the results to another HD/DVD/Thumb drive, install 7, and use the wizard to get data & settings back, but ALL software that isn't a native part of 7 will be gone. And if you use Outlook Express for your email, it doesn't exist in 7.

12. dweiss17

dweiss17 Registered User
    Old Timer NAWCC Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Philadelphia, PA
    Country Flag:
    Bill:

Thanks with your reply. I think it best to stay with XP and not get involved with stuff I have little to no Knowledge about.

At my advanced age, I do not need new worlds to conquer.

I have had my share of world success. No need to pile on any more.

13. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    North Carolina
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The price of used 7 machines will be coming down quickly. When a working one fits your budget, go for it Dan. They are not too hard to learn, and very similar to the XP. Windows 8 is a whole new can of worms though.

14. Bill Stuntz

Bill Stuntz Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 6, 2012
    Male
    PC Tech
    Columbus. OH
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #14 Bill Stuntz, Oct 29, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2014
    GREAT advice shutterbug. Dan, you should be able to find something decent on craigslist for a reasonable price. I wish you lived on MY side of PA. I'd be glad to help if you were somewhere "in range."

IMHO 8.1 is a pretty big improvement over 8.0, and works ALMOST enough like 7 to be usable. But I still like 7 MUCH better. And DISlike 8. It's too different. It seems like EVERYTHING you've learned how to do in (and prior to) XP has been moved somewhere else in 8, for no good reason unless your computer has a touchscreen. OK, SOME things have been moved in 7, but mostly they're where you expect to find them. PITA! At least there's some hope of being able to figure out how to do things using a KB & mouse in 7. Not so much in 8.

My wife had no trouble adjusting to 7 from XP, and she's about as UN computer savvy as there is. But I set things up for her and re-installed all the 3rd party stuff she needed, before I gave it back to her. Maybe she'd have surprised me and been able to do some of that herself. But I doubt it. You know, it's funny - somehow all the adware/spyware got lost along the way. Yoda