Negus Chronometer Key Mystery

Discussion in 'Chronometers' started by David D'Apice, Mar 28, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. David D'Apice

David D'Apice Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 22, 2012
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Well, I can't say I've seen one of these before -- here's the key to my Negus Chronometer -- it looks as if it had a ratchet or pawl inside the lid, now, something's missing and they glued the whole thing together so there was no more ratchet action. I'm hoping somebody has an image of what the click looked like in this thing -- and I'm not even sure that the long flat clickspring was right. Any images would be of great help. The original cap to this has a pair of dolphins that are gilded -- quite lovely. If I can make a pawl, and locate two screws that are long missing, I can put the whole thing back together. Wish me luck. This is a new land to me --- hope everyone is staying safe and healthy. IMG_1570.jpg IMG_1571.jpg

2. gmorse

gmorse Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 7, 2011
    Male
    Retired from Xerox
    Breamore, Hampshire, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi David,

Yes, this is a 'tipsy key', designed so that it's impossible to wind the instrument the wrong way, even if the operator 'has drink taken', hence the name!

It looks as though there should be a click in one post and its spring on the other; I suggest the click would be on the right-hand post and the spring on the left in your pictures.

Regards,

Graham

3. David D'Apice

NAWCC Member

Mar 22, 2012
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Graham -- I've sketched something here --- let me know what you think. The little brass original spring is pretty fatigued -- I might consider making a new one. Not sure how to temper brass, but the click I'm drawing looks nice.

IMG_1572.jpg

4. Paul Regan

Paul Regan Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 4, 2003
    Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I agree with Graham. Would love to see the rest of the key if possible and the chronometer as well.
    Paul

5. gmorse

gmorse Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 7, 2011
    Male
    Retired from Xerox
    Breamore, Hampshire, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi David,

The click is just right, but the spring doesn't need to be brass, steel will be better, and also can be straighter, not bent under at the end.

Regards,

Graham

6. David D'Apice

NAWCC Member

Mar 22, 2012
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Guys -- thanks for your input -- here's the key --- Graham, I believe the spring is shaped as it is because it can't interfere with the screw that holds the dolphins on --- I suppose if went around the outside of it.
    IMG_1575.jpg IMG_1576.jpg

7. gmorse

gmorse Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 7, 2011
    Male
    Retired from Xerox
    Breamore, Hampshire, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi David,

Yes, like this, although it would be more elegant to cut the spring out of steel plate rather than bend a piece of old mainspring. The terminal curve needs to be shallow enough to allow the click to rise clear of the ratchet teeth, and the nose of the click has to clear the fixing screw when it's raised. The closer to the click pivot the spring bears on the click, the less the spring needs to be curved to allow the click to rise.

IMG_1572_edit.jpg

Regards,

Graham

8. David D'Apice

NAWCC Member

Mar 22, 2012
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Graham - you are brilliant --- I'm wondering if they bent the original spring backward to create a pawl of its own -- and that failed --- probably after the original pawl was long gone. If I were to flatten the original spring, I bet it'd line up just like your drawing. This reminds me of the sort of spring one would find on one of those gun black powder flasks. In the illustration we've both created, I'm thinking that by turning the ratchet slightly clockwise, I could, in effect, shorten the length of the pawl.

9. gmorse

gmorse Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 7, 2011
    Male
    Retired from Xerox
    Breamore, Hampshire, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi David,

Much the same considerations apply when making a new fusee click.

Regards,

Graham

10. David D'Apice

NAWCC Member

Mar 22, 2012
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Perhaps more like so! IMG_1577.jpg

11. gmorse

gmorse Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 7, 2011
    Male
    Retired from Xerox
    Breamore, Hampshire, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi David,

Plenty of clearance there!

Regards,

Graham

David D'Apice likes this.
  12. David D'Apice

NAWCC Member

Mar 22, 2012
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Seems like it was probably pretty thick piece of stock. I'm wishing I had a french click thick enough to start with, but I can certainly start from scratch with a jeweler's saw!

13. Paul Regan

Paul Regan Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 4, 2003
    Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks for showing the key David. Looks like Graham has you on the right track! For all the use that this is going to receive, you could make the click out of brass and the spring out of steel.

Anybody ever see a chronometer key like that? Quite fascinating.
    Paul

14. Tom McIntyre

Tom McIntyre Technical Admin
    Staff Member NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Ruby Member Sponsor

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Maybe with dolphins, it is a French chronometer. :)

David D'Apice likes this.
  15. David D'Apice

NAWCC Member

Mar 22, 2012
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Here's my latest prototype --- a work in progress ---- thanks to you guys -- I hear evidence of a ratchet sound, which is encouraging -- handmade from 1/8" steel. So far, so promising! IMG_1610.jpg