Marine: Negus 8 day

Discussion in 'Chronometers' started by Travler1, Sep 3, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Travler1

Travler1 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 26, 2012
    florida
    Hi all ...I'm new to attaching photos of anything onto a forum!! So I hope these shots come out. I was hoping some of the chronometer experts could assist me in determining the English maker of this Negus 8 day ....I have also read a post inquiring into serial numbers and production dates as well as the address of T S Negus ....you might note this chronometer is dialed with Negus being at 102 Wall St. Which I believe is slightly different from the other Negus Wall St address mentioned to date....any thoughts on date of this chronometer manufacture ....thank u in advance

2. Jerry Freedman

Jerry Freedman Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor Donor

Sep 16, 2000
    On my Negus 2 day, I found the initials JP under the dial. I believe that is John Preston. Maybe?

Jerry Freedman

3. gmorse

gmorse Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 7, 2011
    Male
    Retired from Xerox
    Breamore, Hampshire, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Jerry,

'JP' was for Joseph Preston in Prescot, listed as a chronometer maker by Robert Kemp in his AH article from September 1981.

Regards,

Graham

4. burt

burt Registered User

Sep 5, 2008
    Male
    McKees Rocks,Pa.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    When I was looking into my own Negus chronometer I found a lot of "conflicting" and "misinformation" on the company and the brothers. If you read Mercer's book it gives you the impression the company was first located at the 140 Water St. address in 1848 the year the business began. According to the family history they were first located at 100 Wall St. You dial has the 102 address and I'm guessing this was within the first location at 100. Mercer has them moving to 84 Wall St. in 1850. If he is correct then your chronometer, an early one for sure, would date to 1848-1850. That would again be dating by the dial marking only and where it was thought they were located at that time. Brother John David didn't join the company until 1853 so the dial signature confirms a date certainly before he joined the firm and they changed the company name to T.S.& J.D. Negus. That may have been done several years later and as late as 1860 ish.Their early chronometers were all based on (English) Lancashire frames and yours is probably also.

5. burt

burt Registered User

Sep 5, 2008
    Male
    McKees Rocks,Pa.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I also would like to add the both brothers Negus were competent and trained watchmakers who were certainly capable of "finishing" and most importantly adjusting a marine chronometer to exacting standards. They probably also retailed other makers instruments but again want to say they could build their own. I found they sold chronometers to the U.S.N.O. as early as the 58X range. I think the general opinion is they started off with chronometers in the 500 series of serial numbers and your is certainly a very early instrument. Unfortunately yours does not appear to have gone into service with the American Navy or any other agency the observatory purchased chronometers. Nagus made and sold standard 2 day models,break circuit chronometers, and 8 day instruments like your example. I don't have a picture of their shop at any location but here you can see ( Bonds shop) how an address can easily be changed if a firm "expanded" to a adjacent area or for say a post office change.

View attachment 355551

6. Travler1

Travler1 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 26, 2012
    florida
    Thank you Jerry and Graham .....I have 0 bench skills...so in time I will confirm via a restorer, if there are dial plate markings.

Thank you Burt...very informative thoughts. It would have been nice to discover USNO service !!! ( however here's a thought : it must have performed pretty well, as it apparently never visited Davy Jones in all of its travels !!)

I was not aware that the records of timepieces tested by US naval observatory were available ?? I have seen speratic USNO listings of mostly deck watches ....but nothing as comprehensive as the online records, of the Kev-NPL top 50 submitted time trial watches ....I would very much like to know how to research a deck watch with US navy markings ?

Once again ...thanks guys

7. Paul Regan

Paul Regan Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 4, 2003
    Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Beautiful chronometer Travler1! Can we see images of its box please? Nice details provided by Burt!
    Paul

8. Travler1

Travler1 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 26, 2012
    florida
    Yes of course, I will post photos of the box. Right now I'm dealing with hurricane Irma. Not sure when I can come out and play again...but please count on it sometime in the future.

9. Paul Regan

Paul Regan Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 4, 2003
    Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks John. I also live in FL and am concerned.

10. Travler1

Travler1 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 26, 2012
    florida
    Understood on living in Fl. I took an eyewall hit today 185 MPH, Tortola BVI ...and cannot contact anyone to discover what what. So now it's hit the mattress for the possible upcoming Florida event.....ehhhhh. I wish u the best through all this Paul ......we can always regroup and chat later, maybe in December !! :))