Negus 2133

Discussion in 'Chronometers' started by Leigh Callaway, Sep 17, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Leigh Callaway

Leigh Callaway Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 5, 2011
    Upper Valley, New Hampshire
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #1 Leigh Callaway, Sep 17, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2019
    Serendipity and recent NAWCC articles/posts by Paul Regan and Burt Cifrulak resulted in Negus 2133 joining my collection.
    Naval Observatory trial records of 1912 place it number 17 of 41 “new” chronometers. The Navy Department Annual Report of 1922 places it number 19 of 33 “old” chronometers. I have no other information about its history. Separate correspondence indicates there may have been records transferred to Norfolk when the Navy moved its chronometer shops from Washington DC. If anyone has other sources, please post.
    It’s just been completely serviced, during which the watchmaker noted “The Negus is in exceptional condition.” He sent me the following photographs:
    IMG_3072.jpeg IMG_3074.jpeg IMG_3077.jpeg IMG_3071.jpeg
    Barely visible, the spring is signed “G.W. Cotton & Sons Aug 1910”. Page 83 of Betts’s Marine Chronometers at Greenwich says “Cotton’s were, by the late nineteenth century, the largest and most well-established of the London spring makers.” During servicing, it was noted that the dial side plate is signed “JP”. The Betts book (pages 77 and 692) indicate this was Joseph Preston & Sons, which firm would have made the frame and wheels.
    With permission from the seller, more photos:
    Negus 02.jpg Negus 01.jpg Negus 03.jpg

Negus 05.jpg Negus 07.jpg Negus 10.jpg

2. musicguy

musicguy Moderator
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jan 12, 2017
    New York State
    Country Flag:
    Fantastic!

Rob

3. Paul Regan

Paul Regan Registered User

Mar 4, 2003
    Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Congratulations Leigh, you have a very nice Negus! Too bad those Observatory records are missing. I like seeing it in a mahogany box. Most seem to be in Rosewood.
    Paul

4. Jim Haney

Jim Haney Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Male
    Working the farm, Garden,horses, goats, chickens,
    Decatur, TN.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Leigh,
    VERY NICE and a most collectible piece of history.:D:);)

5. Leigh Callaway

NAWCC Member

Sep 5, 2011
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #5 Leigh Callaway, Sep 18, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2019
    In email to another Negus collector, I said I am reminded of the ad “You never actually own a Patek Philippe. You merely look after it for the next generation.” I think the collector's role is to keep this timepiece, and others like it, in the hands of those who understand its horological significance and, for that matter, what its technology meant to 200 years of safety at sea.

Kinda corny. But that's what the collector bug does to you.

6. Paul Regan

Paul Regan Registered User

Mar 4, 2003
    Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Just looking at the pictures again Leigh and I must say that detent is amazing quality.
    Paul

7. Leigh Callaway

NAWCC Member

Sep 5, 2011
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The gent who serviced it agrees: "The finishing on the detent is the finest I have seen in person and among the finest I have ever seen pictured."
    Here's another photo from him:
    IMG_3073.jpeg