Need Wooden Works Clock Help

L

Lawman

This is my first post and since you gentlemen seem to be quite knowledgeable, I was hoping someone might be able to help me identify the correct works for my case. It seems that none of my 30 hour or 8 day wooden works line up with the arbor openings on my tall carved column and splat case which is about 42" in height. It has one door with two separate lower reverse glass painted tablets much like the Silas Hoadley clocks of the same era. The label is almost completely gone but you can see the top portion of a printed border and one letter, but not enough for me to really help ID this clock properly. The dial arbor holes are approximately 3 2/8" apart and 2 3/4" from the main hand shaft. All of my other various maker wooden work clocks have a greater distance between the arbors. It would be nice to try and ID this clock and find the correct works for it if possible. If anyone can help provide some information or guidance, I would sincerely appreciate it. Thank you.

L

Lawman

This is my first post and since you gentlemen seem to be quite knowledgeable, I was hoping someone might be able to help me identify the correct works for my case. It seems that none of my 30 hour or 8 day wooden works line up with the arbor openings on my tall carved column and splat case which is about 42" in height. It has one door with two separate lower reverse glass painted tablets much like the Silas Hoadley clocks of the same era. The label is almost completely gone but you can see the top portion of a printed border and one letter, but not enough for me to really help ID this clock properly. The dial arbor holes are approximately 3 2/8" apart and 2 3/4" from the main hand shaft. All of my other various maker wooden work clocks have a greater distance between the arbors. It would be nice to try and ID this clock and find the correct works for it if possible. If anyone can help provide some information or guidance, I would sincerely appreciate it. Thank you.

lofty

Aug 22, 2005
Country
Region
Hi Lawman,

Welcome to the message board. In order to provide you with the information you need, you will need to provide some photos of your clock, including the remnants of the label. However, why do you think your clock originally had a wooden movement. Some of these types had brass movements. For example I have a Elisha Manross triple decker clock with a brass movement , so your clock may not have had a wooden movement to begin with. Anyway, post some pics and you will get further info. The top of the page gives details of how to attach pictures.

Lofty

Andy Dervan

Gibbs Literary Award
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Member
Oct 23, 2002
Country
Region
Hello Lawman,

Lofty is probably right. Those tall carved column and splat and triple decker cases were introduced in early 1830's and many used strap brass movements (Chauncey Ives). By early 1840's stamped rolled brass movements became very popular and basically killed off wooden movements.

Andy Dervan

Tom Kloss

NAWCC Member
Dec 5, 2003
N.E. Pennsylvania
Country
Region
Hi and welcome.
It would be helpful if you would post a pix of the interior of the clock so we can see the mounting arrangement of the movement.

Tom

“Sometimes you really don’t know if your being rewarded or punished”

L

Lawman

Good Morning Gentlemen. Many thanks for your responses. I will try and get some pictures on the post later tonight. Well, I'm not absolutely sure about it being a wooden works clock. It was just an assumption of mine from being inexperienced in these matters. It may well have been a brass works type. With some luck, perhaps someone will be able to identify it and steer me in the right direction as to where to locate the proper works. Until then, have a great day!

L

Lawman

I do not have a site to host the pictures I took to post of the clock. I've made inquiries, but have not received any responses yet. I did take another look at the case and only found the side holes (and no others) that would attach a wooden works to the supports. There were no cross supports ever nor were there any extra holes in the case. I also noticed that it had the same extra "rods" next to each roller where the line hooked for the pulleys like my other eight day wooden works clock. Hopefully, I can find a source to host my pictures soon. Thanks again.

L

Lawman

Pictures are on the way, Scottie. Thanks for your assistance. I sincerely appreciate it!

lofty

Aug 22, 2005
Country
Region
Hi Lawman,

It appears to me that you were right and this case did in fact have a wooden movement. There should be two small holes on the front side of each rail, top and bottom, where a pin would have been inserted into the front plate of the movement. As far as I know, brass movements would have been attached to a seatboard, which would have slotted into a small rebated area of the side rails. I dont know who your maker is, but I am sure some of the experts on wood works clocks will be able to help.

Scottie, thanks for the pics.

lofty

L

Lawman

Thanks for your response, lofty. I do hope that someone can help ID this clock and that perhaps I can find the appropriate wooden movement for it.

Missy

NAWCC Member
May 27, 2004
Ms.
Country
Region
Hi Lawman,
This looks like your label, Chauncey Boardman and Joseph Wells, 1832-1843. That is a beautiful clock, I do love the heavily carved ones. Hope you can find an original movement for it. Missy

Label

Missy

NAWCC Member
May 27, 2004
Ms.
Country
Region
Well, I could have saved myself some research time. :redface: I just went and checked my clocks and I have a Boardman & Wells with that label. It is not nearly as pretty as Lawman's. It is plain with a stenciled splat, darker half columns and bottom glass has a gold design backed in black across the bottom. I will try to get some pictures posted later.

Missy

L

Lawman

Hello Missy. Thanks for your time and pictures. I think you are probably right about it being a Boardman and Wells because I examined the visible parts of the label carefully and they do appear to be the same. I noticed that on mine, I can only read what appears to be the letter "Y" and judging by the position of it, I'd say that it possibly had "Eight Day" printed above "CLOCKS." I'm assuming the indicators I observed on my clock (pulley support bars) are those for an eight day movement. I wonder if Boardman & Wells made them because I have the original dial with a very unusual and elaborate hand painted design (even between the roman numerals)and none of my 30 hour wooden works arbors match up (they are wider). Also, mine wasn't and alarm type. By the way, you have a beautiful looking clock! I noticed that the stencils on your tablet are exactly the same as those on my Eli Terry Column and Splat Transitional shelf clock. Again, thanks for taking the time to help.

And, oh... Hello fume happy. Thanks for the nice compliments on my case. It is certainly one of my favorites!

Lawman

lofty

Aug 22, 2005
Country
Region
Hi Lawman,

There are other makers who made similar clocks to yours. I have just been looking through one of my books entitled American Shelf and Wall Clocks, and have come across one made by Jeromes and Darrow, which has identical carved columns to yours, so I would not rule them out as a possible maker. I believe copyright forbids me from posting the pic from my book.

Lofty

L

Lawman

Hi Lofty. I had the opportunity to check out a Jeromes & Darrow Eight Day label and I must admit, it looks pretty darn close too! Thanks.

Lawman

Missy

NAWCC Member
May 27, 2004
Ms.
Country
Region
Well, I guess we have all been researching. Lofty, I think you are right as I did find the same exact style label (arched top with eagle and columns on each side) on a Jeromes & Darrow. I was thinking that label was unique to Boardman & Wells, but it seems all the clockmakers could buy them from the printer.

Lawman, when you get that picture posting down pat, could you post a picture of the original dial you said you had. That may help, as you said it was unusual.

Oh well, guess I'll go cut the grass now.

:redface: (again)
Missy

L

Lawman

Scottie... your post put a smile on my face this morning! I just love the smell of fresh cut grass!!

Lawman

L

Lawman

Hi Mike C. Thanks for your post. Great information! I assume its safe to say that this information holds true for eight day works as well since they are relatively similar and some makers made both? Now I have to learn some things about movements for sure!!

Lawman

lofty

Aug 22, 2005
Country
Region
Hi Lawman,

The author of the 30 hour identification supplement that Mike C posted, also did one on 8 day wooden works. In that one measurements are given for distances from centre arbor to winding arbors. It appears that this information is not given in relation to 30 hour movements. As I believe you have the original dial, it would have been possible to compare your measurements with those in the supplement, thus eliminating some potential makers. I think there are some variations in winding arbor positions in 30 hour movements, so perhaps someone with an identified 30 hour movement having the same distance from centre arbor to winding arbor as your dial, may be able to provide some information for you. It may not positively identify the movement you need but it may eliminate some.

Lofty

L

Lawman

Hi Mike C. Great site! Does this generally hold true for eight day movements too? I can see that I have much to learn about the working parts of movements, etc. Thanks!

Lawman

L

Lawman

Hi Lofty. Thanks for the information. How do I access this information?

Regards

Lawman

lofty

Aug 22, 2005
Country
Region
Hi Lawman,

I believe that both the supplements were available with respective NAWCC bulletins. My 8 day supplement, numbered 19, was issued in 1993 and I purchased it on ebay. The 30 hour supplement was made available on the bulletin board with the permission of the author Snowden Taylor. For the 8 day bulletin to be available on the board, someone would have to contact the author and request permission for it to be made available.

Lofty

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeffbloz
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller