Watch Help Need Waltham 1857 hairspring

Discussion in 'Parts Wanted' started by Imhotep, Aug 3, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Imhotep

Imhotep Registered User

Jul 1, 2020
    Ohio
    Country Flag:
    Hey guys, I need a Waltham 1857 hair spring. The 1857 has a split balance wheel not a solid one, I believe they had both.

Here is some pictures of the watch and balance and hair spring, the one that needs to be replaced and a example of what a good one looks like.

I would greatly appreciate it and be very thankful if someone can help me out, if you have one please send me a PM

Thanks and the first pic is the watch that needs the hair spring replaced the second is a good hairspring.

s-l1600 (3).jpg

c076144ccd5635a633692ac6757dca50.jpg

2. richiec

richiec Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Male
    automotive warranty inspector
    Brick, Ocean, NJ
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Even with another hairspring, it would have to be the same thickness or strength, you will have to vibrate the spring to make it oscillate at the same rate as your old one and maybe have to adjust the timing screws, not an easy task besides having to re-pinning the spring. The colleted hairspring number is 291according to the 1885 parts catalog, it will be tough to find a new one 140 years later but they may be out there. Best bet is to pay someone about $100 to fix the old one.

3. Imhotep

Imhotep Registered User

Jul 1, 2020
    Ohio
    Country Flag:
    Hey, thanks for your reply. I'm hoping someone has a old one on a junked/parts movement or one that's similar enough that I can use it

Paying 100 bucks for a hairspring unfortunately isn't going to happen, I wish I could do stuff like that.

I'm a full time student and just trying to get a watch here or there is a major task itself...

I did have a summer job lined up but that is toast

I've never messed with hairsprings before but if I can get a old hairspring off a movement like mine what would be the outcome?

And my next question is.. is if the balance wheel has to match the spring and timing screws on the balance.. could I take a whole balance cock from a movement same model as mine with a matching balance wheel?

In that case the spring would be set to work with that balance wheel where the timing screws are already as set and everything... Could I just throw that on and have it perform okay?

Or would just the hairspring a old one from the same model work?

Anyway thanks for everyone's help. I appreciate it and I really hope I can hunt down a hairspring/balance cock.