• Upcoming updates
    Over the next couple of weeks we will be performing software updates on the forum. These will be completed in small steps as we upgrade individual software addons. You might occasionally see a maintenance message that will last a few minutes at most.

If we anticipate an update will take more than a few minutes, we'll put up a notice with estimated time.

Thank you!

Need to remove watch glass

binman

Nov 16, 2011
Chatham England
Country
Region
Hi, This watch needs to have the glass removed,so that a silversmith
i know can repair the R/H side of the hinge for approx £20 pounds.
He quite rightly thinks the crystal will be damaged if I do not.
How do I manage this, I did wonder if I stuck layers of gaffa tape to the glass and rim, I might be able to defuse the heat? What do you guys think? Richard.

image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

doug sinclair

Aug 27, 2000
Calgary, Alberta
Country
Region
Long ago and far away, these crystals were selected to be a tiny bit larger than the bezel, the bezel heated to expand it, and the bezel dropped onto the crystal and allowed to cool. Perhaps the hinge pin could be removed and the bezel heated to allow it to release the crystal? Or, if the crystal is glued in, 15 minutes in heated ultrasonic solution might release it?

gmorse

NAWCC Member
Jan 7, 2011
Breamore, Hampshire, UK
Country
Region
Hi Richard,

Is this a mineral glass crystal or a later plastic one? Not a good idea to heat it if it's the latter! If it isn't glued in, have you tried gentle pressure around the inside next to the bezel with both thumbs? It's certainly worth doing what Doug suggests and removing the hinge pin first.

I don't think taping the bezel will do any good, and you could be left with a nasty sticky mess. Although there are heat shielding compounds sold by jewellers' suppliers for this sort of job, I'm not sure if they're good enough to protect glass from cracking at the temperatures necessary to solder silver.

Regards,

Graham

binman

Nov 16, 2011
Chatham England
Country
Region
Thanks Graham, yes I have taken the pin out now.

karlmansson

Apr 20, 2013
Linköping, Sweden
Country
Richard, as Graham says acrylic Crystals can usually be pushed put using just your fingers. There appears to be an edge of something between crystal and bezel and it's hard to tell from the Pictures if it's glue or dirt. I Think either way you would be able to push it out.

The crystal doesn't have the ground section in the middle that many mineral Crystals for watches of this age have, indicating that it might be acrylic.

Best of luck!

Stephen Foster

Aug 11, 2016
Country
Realise that this is an old thread but I wonder if members are aware of a product used during car body welding ?

Applied similar to thick putty close to the welding zone .

This acts as a heat dam minimising distortion during the repair process ..I cant think of the trade name but will post when it occurs to Me presently if Anyone is interested ?

doug sinclair

Aug 27, 2000
Calgary, Alberta
Country
Region
One product that goldsmiths often use when doing complicated soldering is called KOOL JOOL. Applied to a permanent solder joint or some gemstones during soldering, this product insulates against heat. There may be other similar products. Wet asbestos packed around an item was often used, years ago, until the danger of asbestos became known. NOT recommended!

gmorse

NAWCC Member
Jan 7, 2011
Breamore, Hampshire, UK
Country
Region
Hi Richard,

In the UK, have a look at Cousins for insulating pastes.

Regards,

Graham

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stademock
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Steven Thornberry