Need to get this movement out safely

Discussion in 'Clock Repair' started by ta855, May 22, 2020 at 6:02 PM.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. It's Coming
    Just Two More Days
  1. ta855

ta855 Registered User

May 5, 2020
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Hi all,

A click spring broke/fell out of place, on my Sessions movement. The mainspring is pushing against the case. I am looking for a way to get the movement out of the case to move the click spring in place, while having the least damage to me and the clock.

DSC_0165.JPG

2. roughbarked

roughbarked Registered User

Dec 2, 2016
    watchmaker
    Western NSW or just this side of the black stump.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    You could tie some wire tightly around top and bottom but not a lot can be done until you undo the screws and remove the movement. Wrap the movement in a strong but supple cloth before you attempt to remove it.

3. Allan Wolff

Allan Wolff Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Mar 17, 2005
    Male
    Tulsa, OK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    See if you can get a big hose clamp around the spring. Jiggle the spring as you tighten the clamp and you should be able to compress the spring enough to get it out of the case.

4. Fitzclan

Fitzclan Registered User

Jul 20, 2014
    Male
    Long Island, New York
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I find that a needle-nosed vice-grip type pliers works well in this situation. Gather as many coils as you can and lock them down so they can’t spring on you. Good luck.

5. disciple_dan

disciple_dan Registered User
    Donor

Mar 10, 2016
    Male
    Clockmaker, General Flunky
    Plant City
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Take the dial face off. get a winding key that has a hole in the tabs. Find a strong piece of wire and fashion a hook that will go into the hole on one of the tabs of the key and the other end hook onto one of the columns of the front clock plate. Put the key in a pair of vice grips and carefully wind the spring until it is free of the case and you can get to the screw on that side. Hook the wire up making sure it will hold the spring in check. With another pair of vice grips, preferably needle nose, clamp it onto the bands of the wound spring and you should be able to remove the screws. That may sound dangerous because it is a little risky. Try this only at your own risk and if you feel confident you have the wherewithal to handle it. Maybe someone has a better idea and safer too. Whatever you do, be careful.

6. wow

wow Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 24, 2008
    Male
    Retired Music Minister
    Pineville, La. (central La.)
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Fitzclan likes this.
  7. ta855

ta855 Registered User

May 5, 2020
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Thanks to everybody who has already responded. I am going to try some of these out and see what works best.

Thank you

8. POWERSTROKE

POWERSTROKE Registered User

Jan 11, 2011
    Can you get a strong zip tie in there to wrap the spring?

9. Jim Hartog

Jim Hartog Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 6, 2010
    house husband
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hello ta855,

Here's another option. Home made, I call it a letdown crank. Basically, a tap wrench with a 5-6 inch handle attached. I use it as a letdown tool when I want to count the revolutions to test a spring driven clock at 8 days. 8 complete turns is roughly 8 days for a typical American clock. Comes in handy for setting up stop works on winding arbors, too.

In your case, I would remove the dial to access the winding post. Crank the mainspring tight, and, while holding the crank with one hand, slip a mainspring retainer clamp on the tight mainspring, and then let the mainspring down into the clamp. You may want to restrain the clock case somehow, just to be sure stuff doesn't happen.

You can never have too many tools and this one comes in handy in a variety of situations.

Jim

P1020673.JPG P1020674.JPG

Uhralt likes this.
  10. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    North Carolina
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I use the vise grips idea, and it usually works well enough. There have been a couple where I had to cut the spring out with tin shears. $8 or so for a new spring. Sometimes it's just not worth the frustration :)
    If the click is still there, and you can turn it over, try putting pressure downward on it as you wind the spring again. That will act as the spring did, and after you let the click mate with the click wheel it will stay there without your help.