Need the dimensions of a Hermle suspension spring

Discussion in 'Clock Repair' started by deloid, Nov 17, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. deloid

deloid Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 30, 2002
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have a 2 wt Hermle clock that is missing the suspension spring. I could use the dimensions so I can make one as I doubt they are available for sale.
    The back plate is stamped 45cm followed on the next line buy 101,9
    The inclusive pendulum rod length is 31cm

I don't usually work on newer clocks like this and I would like to get a close to original as possible.
    Thanks!

2. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    It would be helpful to see the clock you are talking about.

Why do you suppose a suspension spring would not be available to buy?

JTD

3. kinsler33

kinsler33 Registered User

Aug 17, 2014
    Male
    Science teacher, writer
    Lancaster, Ohio, USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I imagine that Mark Butterworth can sell you something that would fit nicely, but I've personally found that suspension springs aren't all that critical. But I do have a question for you, which is to ask how you'd go about manufacturing the ends--the thick parts with hole and with pin--of a home-made suspension spring. It's happened that I've messed up suspension springs without suitable spares, and I've longed to make my own. Do you solder the ends in place?

Mark Kinsler

4. Willie X

Willie X Registered User

Feb 9, 2008
    Merritt's #P-21.3 or #P-21.4 will do it.
    WIllie X

5. David S

David S Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Male
    Professional Engineer - Retired
    Brockville, On Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Mark, I repair or make suspension spring assemblies.

For the top "brass block", we use a rectangular strip of brass sheet. Tin it on one side with solder, fold in half with tinned side in. Drill holes as required. Prepare the suspension spring material. For bifurcated springs, wrap the spring around a sacrificial wooden dowel and cut out the centre section with a cut off wheel in a rotary tool. Brighten up the ends of the spring that will be in the brass block with sandpaper and lightly tin both sides of the end.
    Insert spring squeeze the folded brass tightly on the spring and heat with a small torch to re-flow the solder. We use a diamond burr in a rotary tool to complete the hole in the spring if necessary.

cutting spring.jpg finished.jpg

David

6. Willie X

Willie X Registered User

Feb 9, 2008
    That's a lot of work for $2.
    :) Willie X

7. Uhralt

Uhralt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Yeah, but I think I would do it in some cases rather than waiting a week for an order to be delivered.

Uhralt

8. David S

David S Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Male
    Professional Engineer - Retired
    Brockville, On Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Indeed it is. However my volume is low and if I don't need anything else the $2 morphs into $20 with minimum order and shipping and one week with no action in my shop while I wait. Besides it is fun and it preps me for the time when a particular suspension spring assy isn't available.

David

9. kinsler33

kinsler33 Registered User

Aug 17, 2014
    Male
    Science teacher, writer
    Lancaster, Ohio, USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thank you for that. I, for one, don't expect suspension springs for mechanical clocks--or any parts for mechanical clocks--to be available forever. I didn't realize that the bifurcated springs could be made like that.

Mark Kinsler

10. Willie X

Willie X Registered User

Feb 9, 2008
    Anyone who works on clocks should have a complete assortment of keys and suspension springs. Cost is around $100 and it's money well spent.

I also agree that everyone should know how to make this stuff, or be learning how to make this stuff ... just in case there is no choice.

My 2, WIllie X