American Need Strike 2nd Wheel for Waterbury Mantle Clock Patented 1891

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by bbwatch, Nov 21, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. bbwatch

bbwatch Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 25, 2002
    My lathe didn't line up well and I ended up drilling a new pivot hole for strike second wheel off center. Looking for a movement ( or the appropriate wheel). Anyone able to help? Trying to keep costs down so don't want to replace arbor.
    The movement is 65 mm wide and 106 mm high. The wheel is 26.19 diameter, arbor is 23.6 mm, arbor diameter is 1.79 mm and the pivot should be 1.15 mm dia. Don't need the movement, just the wheel, but I would be willing to pay for the movement.

Any takers can contact me at bbwatch@verizon.net

Barry B

waterbury case.jpg movt front.jpg movt rear.jpg patent date 1891.jpg strike second wheel off center pivot hole.jpg

2. Willie X

Willie X Registered User

Feb 9, 2008
    Finish the pivot job as is (off center) and then turn the pivot to center. Use a steel that's not to hard. I often use finishing nails. Their qualities are very close to the wire used in old American clocks.
    WIllie X

3. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Yes. You may have to enlarge the hole for a larger pivot, then use the lathe to cut it down to size as Willie says. It will center itself as you reduce the thickness.

4. bbwatch

bbwatch Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 25, 2002
    Thanks guys. I'll try it. What have I got to lose?

5. lpbp

lpbp Registered User
    NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Life Member

Aug 25, 2000
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    When I get home, I think I have a movement that can be parted out, if it"s right maybe I can just sell you the whole movement for nominal cost.

6. bbwatch

bbwatch Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 25, 2002
    Thanks, LPBP. I may need it. I'm trying to cap it right now. Let me know about the movmt. Barry