Need spring help for French carriage clock

Discussion in 'Clock Repair' started by heifetz17, Mar 16, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. heifetz17

heifetz17 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 8, 2015
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I'm restoring this old carriage clock and the strike spring is broken, and I'm having trouble locating the proper sized spring. I don't know how long the spring is either as I currently don't have (but am ordering!) the tool to get the spring into/out of the barrel...

Not that the tool matters much when the spring is broken!

Any tips?

IMG_6222.jpg IMG_6273.jpg IMG_6274.jpg

2. Uhralt

Uhralt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    You don't need a tool to get the broken spring out of the barrel. Just take a pair of needle nose pliers, grab the inner end of the spring and pull it out of the barrel. Wear gloves for that. Then measure the length of the spring.

Uhralt

3. heifetz17

NAWCC Member

Apr 8, 2015
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I'll do that tonight. I'm looking at springs in the meantime and the closest width I can find is 5/8, which is about .012 narrower that my spring. Will that cause me any problems inside the barrel?

4. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    North Carolina
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I don't think it will cause much of a problem. That's a pretty small difference.

5. heifetz17

NAWCC Member

Apr 8, 2015
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The broken spring measures 34.5 inches long, and the closest I can find is MS164 from Merritt's at 39.5 inches. Will that extra 5 inches cause any issues? Also, my smallest spring sleeve is 1 inch which is the exact diameter of the barrel, so the sleeve won't fit inside for installing the new spring. Is it possible to accomplish this by hand similar to a watch mainspring?

6. Uhralt

Uhralt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I don't think it will create a problem. These clocks usually run several days longer than a week, or, if they don't, they have a stop work that limits runtime. In both cases, the clock will still run a good week between windings. It is possible to insert the spring by hand. you can also easily make a suitable sleeve form a piece of copper pipe from the plumbing department of a hardware store. You will probably find other uses for it later on.

Uhralt