Need Source For Rhythm Quartz Movement

Discussion in 'Electric Horology' started by Christopher McKee, Feb 17, 2011.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. It's Coming
    Tomorrow
  1. Christopher McKee

Christopher McKee New Member

Feb 17, 2011
    I have a Rhythm Watch Co. wall clock with a burned-out time "trigger" quartz movement. Due to mounting hole pattern for mounting in plastic standoffs and trigger wiring, it probably is necessary to get a replacement Rhythm movement rather than use a generic part. Movement is marked with a "P8" and the following number: 1101C47R6 82. The 82 may be a date of manufacture. Does anyone know of a source of supply for Rhythm quartz movements?

2. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    North Carolina
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #2 shutterbug, Feb 17, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2011
    You aren't going to find one. Use search for my post of how to deal with these little devils :) I used a trigger movement purchased from clockparts.com (I think). It's the same movement that they use for bird clocks that have a different call every hour. You need to pull off the hands (they pull straight out) and mic them. At your local hobby shop, get matching brass tubes and cut them to mount the the new movement. You'll have fun getting it mounted :) You'll have to cut off the hands and figure a way to mount them to the new tubes. It's a fun project, and the second one goes a lot easier than the first (I hope :D)
    I looked up the thread. Here it is.

3. Christopher McKee

Christopher McKee New Member

Feb 17, 2011
    Thanks shutterbug -- I too accepted one of these for repair thinking it would be an easy job 'till I found out you can't buy replacement movements anywhere on the internet, even on eBay! I found the movement on clockparts.com like you suggested -- in fact, it's the only trigger movement I could find. I'll give it a try. Thanks again.

4. williedog

williedog New Member

Jan 14, 2013
    do you think a person could take a new quartz movement apart and use the new parts in the old movement?

5. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    North Carolina
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I'm not sure why you'd want to, willie. I assume for the hands issue. Hmmm. If you try it, let us know :D

6. Willie X

Willie X Registered User

Feb 9, 2008
    Ronnell has some trigger movements that might work.

Willie X

7. bangster

bangster Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 1, 2005
    utah
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I'm moving this to the Electric Horology forum where it belongs.

8. williedog

williedog New Member

Jan 14, 2013
    My thinking is that a person could use the electronics out of the new quartz movement to replace the bad electronics. I tried to buy the quartz movement from Rhythm with no luck. Rhythm said I could send them the clock and they would repair it, I tried to pen them down on the cost, buy the fellow I spoke with would not give me an estimate. The only info I got on cost was that the max cost for repair was $245.00. That's a lot of money, when you know that all you need is a $15.00 part and a soldering gun to make the repair.

9. Kyoshoman

Kyoshoman New Member

Feb 19, 2013
    Shutterbug,

I took your advice and bought the trigger device from clock parts. It works perfectly. I do have a lathe so I machined the tubes from the original mechanism and attached them as an extension to the original hands. It now works perfect again. Thanks for the heads up on where to find the quartz movement. I was not willing to throw away a $350.00 clock.