$ Need some information about this carriage clock.

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by Chris9999, Jun 23, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Chris9999

Chris9999 Registered User

Jun 1, 2020
    Male
    Country Flag:
    I just brought this carriage clock, and I want to find out some information about this clock. Like which country made, who was the maker? etc

Thanks

IMG_6348.jpeg IMG_6346.jpeg IMG_6344.jpeg IMG_6345.jpeg IMG_6349.jpeg IMG_6347.jpeg

2. new2clocks

new2clocks Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Apr 25, 2005
    Pennsylvania
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The trademark looks very much like that of C. E. Richard & Cie., except that the lettering does not match:

bildmarke_carichard.jpg

Trademark courtesy of mikrolisk.

Richard were a French company.

Your trademark appears to have "R & F" inscribed on it.

Could Richard also have traded under Richard & Fils (Richard and Sons)? Just a thought.

Regards.

3. Ticktocktime100

Ticktocktime100 Registered User

Hi,

I think new2clocks has matched it - I very much doubt it is another company, perhaps the lettering evolved slightly over time and it could indeed be "Richard & Fils" in this case, as suggested above. Your clock is obviously French and a rather typical example of its type, made around 1880-1890. Aiguilles is the French word for "hands". The original key is a nice bonus.

Regards.

4. Chris9999

Chris9999 Registered User

Jun 1, 2020
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Thanks for all the information. It is come with original key, and it is running very well so far (I've tested it for 2 days. And it keeps very good time). I hope it keeps that way.
    The condition I have received was not good, I have spent about 2 hours for cleaning and oiling the clock.

Any idea how much it worth now?

5. Ticktocktime100

Hi,

While they are very fine clocks, carriage clocks are not rare - this is a fairly standard example with alarm function which is probably worth around $200-250 US given its restored condition and slightly larger size compared to the basic model.

Regards.

6. jmclaugh

jmclaugh Registered User

Jun 1, 2006
    Devon
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I haven't come across any reference to Richard & Fils but it looks to be a French carriage clock in an Obis case but not with an Obis movement.

7. zedric

zedric Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 8, 2012
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    That logo is a puzzle - I certainly can’t recall R&C using a different logo than their standard one, but it is too close to be anything else, and while they made good quality clocks they weren’t in the league that someone would fake their logo.

Ticktoctime - this is a time and strike only, it doesn’t have an alarm.

The lack of repeat suggests it might be close to the turn of the 20th century. As has been suggested, a nice But basic example like this should reach Au$ 3-400 or more on a good day if sold via a local auction house, although there is a rather nicer example coming up in Sydney with a depressingly low estimate. The price of carriage clocks can spiral depending on maker, case decoration and features such as quarter striking, with the best selling for £10,000 plus - I saw a French clock with seconds, date, day and alarm dials and grande sonnerie, by Oudin, sell a couple of days ago for €8,000 plus 30% commission.

8. zedric

zedric Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 8, 2012
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Looking at my notes on Richard and Co:

Charles Adolphe Richard bought into the business "Lemaitre-Bergmann" in the 1860s. Richard’s partnership with Bergmann was dissolved at the end of 1867, and he formed the company Richard and Cie. This company claimed an establishment date of 1855, which is actually when Lemaitre-Bergmann was founded. The company was taken over by Charles Adolphe's son (so there is a possibility of a Richard et Fils, although I haven't found it)

They operated with a sales office in London, and manufacturing in France. In 1898 Richard & Co was converted into a limited liability company under the name of Richard & Co Ltd, and largely became clock wholesalers. The business was bought eventually by Simths Industries

9. Ticktocktime100

Thanks, zedric - I didn't look closely enough at first because I more often see the alarm setup, but upon looking again it is indeed a striker. Therefore, I agree that it could indeed go a bit higher than the price I suggested above.

Best regards.