• The online Bulletins and Mart and Highlights are currently unavailable due to a failure of a network piece of equipment. We are working to replace it and have the Online publications available as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience.

Need some help identifying this antique clock.

Lpar67

New User
Sep 23, 2021
Country
I was given this clock by a family member. I don't really know much about antique clocks. It appears to be around 1920s? It's marked, Millko Harmonie Gong inside (German?) It chimes beautifully, however, I don't believe the pendulum is the original--it doesn't really connect correctly or swing properly given the type of pendulum leader that's on it. The hook on the pendulum is front-facing, but the opening loop on the leader faces left/right which is why I believe this is not the original pendulum. Would love some more info on this clock or if anyone knows what type of pendulum is the correct one for this model clock. Thank you!
IMG_4968.jpg IMG_4972.jpg IMG_4973.jpg IMG_4970.PNG IMG_4974.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Steven Thornberry

User Administrator
NAWCC Member
Jan 15, 2004
Here and there
Country
You don't show enough if the movement for me, at least, to determine the manufacturer, but the clock may be by Uhrenfabrik Mühlheim / Wilhelm Müller & Co (UM). The name on the gong base (Harmonie) is one that was used by U.M. While others did use the term Harmonie Gong, it seems that U.M. added Mullko (not Millko) to distinguish theirs from others. See this earlier post.

Lpar67

New User
Sep 23, 2021
Country
You don't show enough if the movement for me, at least, to determine the manufacturer, but the clock may be by Uhrenfabrik Mühlheim / Wilhelm Müller & Co (UM). The name on the gong base (Harmonie) is one that was used by U.M. While others did use the term Harmonie Gong, it seems that U.M. added Mullko (not Millko) to distinguish theirs from others. See this earlier post.

I added another pic. Not sure if this helps.

IMG_4975.jpg

tracerjack

Jun 6, 2016
Lodi, CA
Country
Region
The leader doesn’t appear to be attached to the suspension spring, which may be why the lower loop is not correctly oriented for the pendulum hook. The pendulum looks correct for the clock. To confirm the maker, you would need to take the movement out of the case. If you are willing to do that, we can tell you how.

Last edited:

John Arrowood

NAWCC Member
NAWCC Gold Member
Dec 14, 2001
The pendulum leader should hook onto a pin in the bottom block of the suspension spring. The picture looks like the pin may be missing from the block and can be replaced by a pin through the hole in the block with enough clearance on each side for the leader to hook onto.

tracerjack

Jun 6, 2016
Lodi, CA
Country
Region
To check on the suspension spring and leader, you will need to take the movement out of the case. You can then take a photo of the back plate which can help identify the maker.

Lpar67

New User
Sep 23, 2021
Country
The leader doesn’t appear to be attached to the suspension spring, which may be why the lower loop is not correctly oriented for the pendulum hook. The pendulum looks correct for the clock. To confirm the maker, you would need to take the movement out of the case. If you are willing to do that, we can tell you how.
Thanks all! Was able to attach the leader ti the suspension spring. One more question, the tempo of the Westminster chimes seems too fast—is there a way to adjust this?

tracerjack

Jun 6, 2016
Lodi, CA
Country
Region
The tempo is controlled by the fan. If the fan is loose on the arbor, it can be tightened, but that requires disassembly of the movement. You may want to just let it be until a full service is needed, which may be now if you don’t know when it was last serviced.

Schatznut

NAWCC Member
Sep 26, 2020
SoCal
Country
Region
Tracerjack gives you a strong hint above. There's a common theme amongst a lot of folks in this forum, paraphrased: "If you don't know when the last time this clock was serviced, it needs it." There is fundamental wisdom in that statement.

Reactions: LenzkirchFan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
S1987m
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-