Need some help. Ball waltham 16s 19j

jjimmerson417

May 22, 2022
Country
The hour hand keeps hitting second hand. Watch is running but stem won't wind. I haven't wound it because it's so tight you can feel push back when turning it. Wanted to know if this is the correct dial or hands. I know it's not the original. New to site and new to watches.

20220522_094941.jpg 20220522_094433.jpg

BillyHelbender

Mar 16, 2022
Country
Welcome to the forum!! Beautiful watch. :) So the hour hand is either bent or misaligned. Is it hitting enough to stop the watch? If so the watch may be wound all the way and can't wind down cause it only runs a short time.
I'm pretty new to and I'm sure someone will be along shortly to help you out.

Reactions: jjimmerson417

jjimmerson417

May 22, 2022
Country
Welcome to the forum!! Beautiful watch. :) So the hour hand is either bent or misaligned. Is it hitting enough to stop the watch? If so the watch may be wound all the way and can't wind down cause it only runs a short time.
I'm pretty new to and I'm sure someone will be along shortly to help you out.
Thanks I've been setting it to 7 and letting it run till it stops then doing it again.

BillyHelbender

Mar 16, 2022
Country
You may not want to run it too much cause it probably hasn't been serviced in quite awhile. The difficulty in winding could also be a lubrication issue. After a couple of time doing what you're doing it should have had some play in the mainspring to wind. I'd probably repeat your steps till it winds down then leave it until it can be serviced.

musicguy

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2017
New York State
Country
Moving thread to watch repair section for best results.

Rob

MrRoundel

Dec 28, 2010
So. Cal., USA
Country
Region
Welcome to the forum. No, it's not the original dial. It should be a "Ball", probably "Official RR Standard", marked dial. And yes, it does sound like either the hour hand was pressed down to far or the seconds hand is not down far enough. One must be careful when dealing with the seconds hand in particular, as you can break or bend the seconds hand post without too much effort. Aligning hands can be a bit fiddly, as they do find many ways of fouling. Sometimes you do have to bend them a bit, but that too is rife with some hazards, as they are rather delicate.

The lever for setting looks like the type Waltham used on 1872 models. I don't remember them being like that on the Ball models, but maybe...I have to run or I'd do more checking on that. Maybe later if nobody else chimes in about it.

Oh, and it looks like the watch is in a Hamilton BOC (Bar Over Crown) style case, FWIW. They usually house a movement like a Hamilton 992B. Cheers.

jjimmerson417

May 22, 2022
Country
Welcome to the forum. No, it's not the original dial. It should be a "Ball", probably "Official RR Standard", marked dial. And yes, it does sound like either the hour hand was pressed down to far or the seconds hand is not down far enough. One must be careful when dealing with the seconds hand in particular, as you can break or bend the seconds hand post without too much effort. Aligning hands can be a bit fiddly, as they do find many ways of fouling. Sometimes you do have to bend them a bit, but that too is rife with some hazards, as they are rather delicate.

The lever for setting looks like the type Waltham used on 1872 models. I don't remember them being like that on the Ball models, but maybe...I have to run or I'd do more checking on that. Maybe later if nobody else chimes in about it.

Oh, and it looks like the watch is in a Hamilton BOC (Bar Over Crown) style case, FWIW. They usually house a movement like a Hamilton 992B. Cheers.
Thank you, any info helps and greatly appreciated. It's in an after market salesman display by cwcc. It's a M1899 1901 ball Waltham offical std 16s 19j S/N B0554350. The ORS dial? Is that single or double sunk?

Randy Beamer

Jul 5, 2011
Davenport Washington
Country
Region
You need to have this movement serviced. That should at least get you going in the right direction.
Dial and hands can be addressed, changed at the same time if needed or desired.

Running a nice watch with old lubrication is a quick way to destroy it.
From your description,..the mainspring and "works" are binding...you could actually break the spring if you keep winding it.
Randy

jjimmerson417

May 22, 2022
Country
You need to have this movement serviced. That should at least get you going in the right direction.
Dial and hands can be addressed, changed at the same time if needed or desired.

Running a nice watch with old lubrication is a quick way to destroy it.
From your description,..the mainspring and "works" are binding...you could actually break the spring if you keep winding it.
Randy
Thanks randy, I haven't wound it at all. It was to tight once I felt resistance I didn't mess with it. Im searching for someone to service it in my area. No luck yet.

Reactions: Randy Beamer

MrRoundel

Dec 28, 2010
So. Cal., USA
Country
Region
If you can't wind it at all even after letting it run down a bit, then yes, you probably have some sort of problem with the clutch and/or winding pinion. But if you can get it to wind after running it down it bit, the mainspring is probably just completely wound and just hasn't run down enough to get a lot of winds back in the barrel. It does sound as if you've run it down enough to be able to get some winds on it though.

I don't remember if the Ball models are 1899 Walthams with a different plate layout. If so, then you might have a fairly easy time getting parts, should you need them. Good luck.

jjimmerson417

May 22, 2022
Country
If you can't wind it at all even after letting it run down a bit, then yes, you probably have some sort of problem with the clutch and/or winding pinion. But if you can get it to wind after running it down it bit, the mainspring is probably just completely wound and just hasn't run down enough to get a lot of winds back in the barrel. It does sound as if you've run it down enough to be able to get some winds on it though.

I don't remember if the Ball models are 1899 Walthams with a different plate layout. If so, then you might have a fairly easy time getting parts, should you need them. Good luck.
Thanks im new to the site and new to watches. Im trying to learn as much as I can. And where better to do that then here. With such great people with so much knowledge. Keep it coming guys and thanks again

jjimmerson417

May 22, 2022
Country
The hour hand keeps hitting second hand. Watch is running but stem won't wind. I haven't wound it because it's so tight you can feel push back when turning it. Wanted to know if this is the correct dial or hands. I know it's not the original. New to site and new to watches.

View attachment 710209 View attachment 710210
Quick update, it's winding. Now to get it serviced and find original case and dial and hands. If anyone has any parts please let me know. Thanks

Reactions: BillyHelbender

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danarog
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last page
Hard Life for Wristwatches by Roy Gardner